Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Study Butte/Terlingua dining

• 43 Replies

Offline perterra

• Coyote
Re: Study Butte/Terlingua dining
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2011, 04:57:15 PM »
Did the Ghost Town Cafe used to be Ms. Tracy's?  I have eaten there in the past and I think it is the same building,  Great breakfast for sure.

I think ghosttown used to be when pigs fly BBq in the old town.

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 06:47:50 PM »
Just to add to the positive comments on Starlight and Kiva. We've been very happy the past couple times we ate there. One bummer, the estimated 40 minute wait on a Tuesday evening at Starlight was closer to two hours.
Everything is in walking distance if you have enough time.

Offline Interceptor

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 12:09:17 PM »
I can also confirm the good news about the continued top quality at the Starlight.  We had dinner there twice earlier this month, it was terrific both times.  We also had an astonishingly good breakfast at India's in what I believe is the Bee Mountain Plaza.

Will look forward to trying Los Jalapenos next visit in December...

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 09:31:39 AM »
I can also confirm the good news about the continued top quality at the Starlight.  We had dinner there twice earlier this month, it was terrific both times.  We also had an astonishingly good breakfast at India's in what I believe is the Bee Mountain Plaza.

I ate at India's several times last October. Extremely good food! Breakfast and lunch were both great.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2011, 09:30:48 AM »
I'll add my recommendation for India's. Feel free to order off the menu, as William (India's husband) can handle special requests. India said wholesale food prices have doubled in the last year or so. Hopefully they'll be able to stay in business. Los Jalapenos has moved up to Alpine, and of course, the Ghost Town Cafe had already closed earlier this year. Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe may not survive either.

Offline Red Hawk

• Roadrunner
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2012, 06:33:44 AM »
TR Lodge restaurant (Bad Rabbit) is open under new owners after being closed for 10 days for the transition. Best breakfast I've found in the area.  :eusa_clap: Good base for Christmas and Rosillos hiking.

The Grub Shack at 118/TR road will be open as soon as a new 'food grade' water tank arrives. Should be very shortly.   :crossedfingers: 

Barn's burnt.
Now
I can see the moon.

Offline Hayduke

• Coyote
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2012, 07:05:22 AM »
I'll add my recommendation for India's. Feel free to order off the menu, as William (India's husband) can handle special requests. India said wholesale food prices have doubled in the last year or so. Hopefully they'll be able to stay in business. Los Jalapenos has moved up to Alpine, and of course, the Ghost Town Cafe had already closed earlier this year. Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe may not survive either.

Does anyone know

- when India's opens in the morning and
- if they have wifi?

I currently eat at BB Motor Inn's cafe because it's open early (breakfast at 6:30 am) and it has wifi. But the food is mediocre and overpriced.

The wifi requirement may seem odd but occasional contact allows me to stay in BB longer.

Thanks,

HD

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2012, 11:11:06 AM »
i preferred chili peppers breakfast. they also had good chicken fajitas.

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 50 years.
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2012, 12:19:40 PM »

Does anyone know

- when India's opens in the morning and
- if they have wifi?

Thanks,

HD

Their website says open at 6AM, and there is a contact form on the website. If you do make contact, let us know what they say (about wifi).  :crossedfingers:

India's

I recommend her french toast made in a waffle iron, it really holds the syrup well. Coffee is very good too.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 12:25:01 PM by fartymarty »
Fort Worth

Offline Hayduke

• Coyote
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2012, 08:52:42 AM »

Their website says open at 6AM, and there is a contact form on the website. If you do make contact, let us know what they say (about wifi).  :crossedfingers:

I tried to contact them but unfortunately the email bounced.

HD

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2012, 09:36:17 AM »
When we were there at Thanksgiving, they were sitting outside by the fire and opened as soon as the first customers (that was us) showed up. Great food, but like a lot of restaurants in the area, they are fighting rising food costs. I sure hope they make it. :eusa_pray: I don't recall if they have wi-fi.

Update: They didn't make it. :icon_cry:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 03:22:56 PM by RichardM »

Offline Infosec

• Roadrunner
  • Be Here Now
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 03:16:12 PM »
Glad I took the time to read all the posts, as it saved me from a major gastro intestinal crisis on the trail.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 03:22:17 PM »
The Grub Shack at 118/TR road will be open as soon as a new 'food grade' water tank arrives. Should be very shortly.   :crossedfingers:
While digging around on the internet I came across this:
... where the failed Grub Shack used to be. ... what's left of the Grub Shack.

Looks like they never got their water tank. :(

We need someone to post a list of the restaurants still open for business...

Offline kevint

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • Pictures
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2013, 03:51:56 PM »

Looks like they never got their water tank. :(

I ate there in March of 2012 after the post from Red Hawk so they may have gotten their water tank. 

Just checked satellite imagry and the Grub Shack is indeed gone.  It appears that I have consumed my last basket of Shack-O's.
-- Kevin (W5KLT)

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."  --Yvon Chouinard

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!