Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Study Butte/Terlingua dining

• 43 Replies

Ray52

Study Butte/Terlingua dining
« on: January 10, 2009, 05:58:31 PM »
During my time in the area before and after my OML hike I tried a few of the restaurants in the area. Most were good, a couple not so special but here's my review.

Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl - I ate two meals here. The first was a veggie quesadilla with mushrooms & jalapenos and a bowl of pinto beans. Both were very good. I also stopped in just before closing time another afternoon wanting to try the chili but due to the time the only menu choices available were either beef or pork BBQ. I chose the pork sandwich and it was very tasty and filling. Kathy is a very friendly lady and a darn good cook.

La Kiva - I was drawn here mostly by the curiosity factor. It was busy but not over run with customers but I found the service to be unusual. The waitress didn't take any drink orders. I had to stand in line at the bar to order iced tea. My entree, quail sausage, was okay but a little overcooked. Nothing was horrible, but I believe there are better options so I probably won't be returning.

Big Bend Motor Inn gas station cafe - I had the breakfast buffet. I'm not a fan of buffets and should have known better but it sounded convenient as I wanted to hurry to the trailhead and begin my hike. I've had a good omelet here on a previous trip and if in the area will try that again, but definitely pass on the buffet.

Rio Bravo Mexican Restaurant - I stopped in for dinner on the 1st after coming off the trail and showering. I ordered chicken enchiladas verde (my standard order wherever it is offered). This is a very small place and you can watch the activity in the small kitchen while you wait for your food. The chips were pretty average, but the excellent salsa was anything but that. I crave heat and this one was right at the brink of my tolerance. My enchiladas were the stacked kind and equally as tasty as the salsa. I'll definitely be going back to Rio Bravo.

Starlight Dinner Theater - Jim2 and I enjoyed a meeting and tasty meal here on Friday night. We sat at a table with another party so didn't have to wait. I had chicken fried antelope in beer gravy and a single Shiner Bock. Both were very good. I was visiting with Jim2 so really didn't study the menu before ordering, but was really happy with my choice. 

BigBendHiker

Re: Study Butte/Terlingua dining
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 06:40:43 PM »
To add to the list of restaurants...

Ghost Town Cafe in Terlingua is really good.  Ate there the day after Christmas.  Had a great roast beef sandwich and fries.  My son's hamburger was huge.  They take only cash or checks (took our out of town check from SA)...no plastic...

BBH
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 06:45:02 PM by BigBendHiker »

Offline riverrat

• Diamondback
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 07:07:38 PM »
I made mention of our dining xperiences in my lastest trip report but for for sake of putting everything in its place, I will throw in my $.02 worth here:

Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe- Pancho Villa breakfast burritoes are right on the money, especially when washed down with the best coffee I believe I've ever tasted.

BBMotor Inn gas station cafe (they need a better name!) - cheeseburgers was our choice one night and they were were large, juicy and very satisfying and the breakfast buffet one morning. The bacon was cooked just right but the eggs, I believe, were powdered. The biscuits, when topped with the gravy, were pretty good. Otherwise they were just cold, dry biscuits. Not being able to order from a menu was a disappointment.

The Starlight - hubbie had the chicken fried antelope and seemed very pleased with his choice, I had a bite of his to sample and it was very tender and tasty. I ordered the sirloin which was cooked perfectly but it was a bit tough. The salsa and guacamole with chips were very good.

High Sierra Bar and Grill - We each chose the chicken fried steak dinner with iced tea. Portions were just right and the price wasn't too high and our tea glasses were never empty.

Long Draw Bar and Pizza Parlour - We ordered the medium Cactus jack pizza which was extremely good.

We didn't eat at La Kiva or Chili Peppers this trip but we did last time we were there. The brisket had just come off the pit at La Kiva when we sat down so there was no doubt we would have that. It was delicious but we both found the portion too small for the price. AFA Chili Peppers, I had a bowl of soup that, unfortunately, I do not remember what it was called and I don't even think it was on the menu. Evidently they only prepare it when the ingredients are available. Whatever it was, it was fantastic! My family each ordered different dishes which no one remembers what exactly they had but it was all good.
Living so close to paradise, it is unbelievable.

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 10:02:28 PM »
Ghost Town Cafe is great.  I had one kick ass chicken fried chicken there last year.
WATER, It does a body good.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 07:14:12 AM »
Maybe it was because we had just come off the trail after seven days but when we went into the Starlight (which I have enjoyed before) we sat down and the crowd was getting large, the noise of the heater blowing and the what appeared to be the only waitress made us look at each other and we got up and retreated to the quiet more local occupied La Kiva.  We had a very enjoyable dinner (chicken fried steak) and time with Glenn and some locals. Good beer, and music, not too many people.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline riverrat

• Diamondback
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 09:08:58 AM »
Likewise Cindy....where is the High Sierra? Is it at the Eldorado Hotel? I saw the Long Draw but it looked long closed, but it was before 8 AM.

The High Sierra is at the El Dorado. And the Long Draw is quite non-descript. Had we not had a reccomendation from a couple we met on the trail, we would never have stopped there. As it was, when we got there (around 5 or so) the open sign was not on but the door was wide open and a few vehicles were parked there. So, I stuck my head in the door to inquire if pizza was being served and the owner/barback/pizza maker said "sure,come on in" so we did. It was New Year's Day and she had blackeyed peas, cabbage and cornbread out for anyone who wanted any, free of charge, but we were looking to have the pizza. While we were there, quite a few folks came by to order pizza and would be back in a bit to pick it up. Closest thing to a drive in eating joint as you'll find out there, I reckon!
Living so close to paradise, it is unbelievable.

Offline xseption

• Do it in Big Bend!
  • Black Bear
  • BiBe is the BEST!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 05:13:11 PM »

I didn't even see that one BBH. I don't usually spend much time out of the park so all but the gas station cafe were new for me. I did pass by The Boathouse near the Starlight. Is that a restaurant or just a watering hole?

The Boathouse is a local watering hole. They have a small menu, but it's mini-pizza and stuff. The mini pizza did do me well once.

~ edd
Be the kind of person that you will want to meet!

BigBendHiker

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 07:00:03 PM »
...and we got up and retreated to the quiet more local occupied La Kiva.  We had a very enjoyable dinner (chicken fried steak) and time with Glenn and some locals. Good beer, and music, not too many people.

We ate at La Kiva while out there over Christmas.  Really enjoyed it.  Good food, good music and atmosphere.   Chatted with Glenn for a few minutes.  Even got to see their dungeon (through the Hobbitt door there near the front).  We would definitely go back to La Kiva.

BBH

Offline westtex

• Diamondback
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 10:50:25 AM »
While it may not be in Study Butte proper, Tivo's is hard to be for traditional greasy mexican food. 
resist much, obey little

Offline jave

• Roadrunner
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 11:14:23 AM »
last week, Why Terlingua came out in hardcopy.  Local restaurants and sights get an in depth treatment by one of the locals, and also the bigger characters in the area are pictured with a vignette.  Check it out- I live near Alpine and never fully understand South County culture but the book is a bridge to their world.
The author of Why Terlingua is Carlton Leatherwood.

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 12:08:54 PM »
I'm putting together a little info packet on restaurants in the Study Butte/Terlingua area for an upcoming trip. This thread has been most helpful.

I was wondering, where/what is the "Grub Shack"? It is frequently mentioned in John Well's blog (http://thefieldlab.blogspot.com/). People have asked him where this place is using the comment feature his blog, but he's never responded there with info.

Offline DC6080

• Roadrunner
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 01:21:54 PM »
I was wondering the exact same thing. I just got back from Big Bend and the Grub Shack is on Terlingua Ranch Road, right by the sign marking the entrance to the Ranch. You can't miss it. It is on the left, right across from the sign.

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 02:16:39 PM »
I was wondering the exact same thing. I just got back from Big Bend and the Grub Shack is on Terlingua Ranch Road, right by the sign marking the entrance to the Ranch. You can't miss it. It is on the left, right across from the sign.

Cool. Thanks!

Offline Sanjuro82

• Samurai Hiker
  • Diamondback
  • Samurai Hiker
    • http://www.bigbendchat.com/
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 09:35:59 AM »
Yeah I really enjoyed my meal at Rio Bravo.  Nice little hole in the wall.  Just a heads up though, Rio Bravo is BYOB.  :icon_cool:

Offline Red Hawk

• Roadrunner
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 01:01:36 PM »
Beyond the Grub shack on the T. Ranch road about a mile on the right is Suzy's Snack Shack. I've stopped in several times for a good burger or breakfast. There's a resident covey of quail for entertainment.
Barn's burnt.
Now
I can see the moon.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!