Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Study Butte/Terlingua dining

• 43 Replies

Offline DC6080

• Roadrunner
Re: Study Butte/Terlingua dining
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 07:36:11 PM »
I still think that the Starlight is the best, by far. Tivo's is great as well. I also understand that the American Legion has dinner on Saturdays for $5!

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 08:28:21 PM »
mini-reviews:

1) Starlight -- good
2) Long Draw Pizza -- excellent; call ahead or prepare to wait a long time
3) Mexican place just SW of the 118/170 intersection (can't remember the name  :icon_redface:) -- excellent food, no ambience whatever, TV picture is largely green & purple  :icon_lol:
4) Mexican place just NW of the 118/170 intersection (can't remember the name either  :icon_redface:) -- great food, including breakfasts; nice views thru window or from outside tables
5) Mexican place just on the W side of 118 and a ways N of the 118/170 intersection (after passing some TR gates, maybe a 10-15 minute drive, has a 'motel' attached) (can't remember the name  :icon_redface:) -- bad lighting, bad ambience, mediocre food, nice cats in the courtyard though
6) "Fusion" restaurant S of 170 in between SB & Terlingua (can't remember name either  :icon_lol:) -- really overpriced, food just OK, portions small, pretentious imho...

YMMV of course...
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 08:22:52 AM »
3) Mexican place just SW of the 118/170 intersection (can't remember the name  :icon_redface:) -- excellent food, no ambience whatever, TV picture is largely green & purple  :icon_lol:

Rio Bravo? Used to be Los Paisanos, I think. Very small place run by a family.

I've eaten there twice. The food was hot, spicy and good.

First time (Nov. '05) you had to buy a basket of chips and salsa, but the chips were homemade. We ate two baskets.

Second time (Sep. '07), the food was just about the same and good. The chips were different (store-bought) and free, IIRC.

Anyway, it's a great place to satisfy that Mexican food craving after a few days eating mountain house or the like :icon_biggrin:

5) Mexican place just on the W side of 118 and a ways N of the 118/170 intersection (after passing some TR gates, maybe a 10-15 minute drive, has a 'motel' attached) (can't remember the name  :icon_redface:) -- bad lighting, bad ambience, mediocre food, nice cats in the courtyard though

Tivo's? I've never been there, but I've read it's just north of Study Butte along 118.

oldfatman

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 12:57:30 AM »
I ate at Chili Peppers Sunday night. The last time for me. Definitely not my taste in Tex Mex.

Several locals recommended Rio Bravo and Tivos.  However the local folks also said to call them before going as they are open on a as the owner wants to open basis.  Both were closed during my four days in Study Butte.

Chicken fried steak in the basin restaurant was fairly decent on Sunday for lunch.  Service was fantastic.

Offline Homer67

• Passionate Backpacker
  • Black Bear
  • Be Amazing.
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 05:04:41 PM »
We ate at the Chili Pepper on April 27, 2010.  We had the fajitas for two, and it was pretty good!  Perhaps it was the long days in the sun out by Mule Ears that made it seem so good, but it sure did hit the spot! We will go back there again the last week of September, when we make a return to Big Bend. 
Ah Big Bend, we will soon return to reacquaint ourselves in our ritual of blood, exhaustion and dehydration. How can we resist the temptation to strip ourselves of the maladies of civilization?

Offline 1badtk

• 83% Crazy
  • Jack Rabbit
  • COFFEE!
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 11:13:28 AM »
...and we got up and retreated to the quiet more local occupied La Kiva.  We had a very enjoyable dinner (chicken fried steak) and time with Glenn and some locals. Good beer, and music, not too many people.

We ate at La Kiva while out there over Christmas.  Really enjoyed it.  Good food, good music and atmosphere.   Chatted with Glenn for a few minutes.  Even got to see their dungeon (through the Hobbitt door there near the front).  We would definitely go back to La Kiva.

BBH
Sounds like our same experience including the dungeon and history which included the employee parties. A Really cool, and cave like area for parties. La Kiva is nothing like it looks from the outside, you must enter to get the full experience. Sit on the all tree furniture, navigate the unleveled floors and tables, along with the art work. We will always eat there while in the area.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 11:17:01 AM by RichardM »
WARNING!
I am not responcible for the above post accuracy or validity.
With the outside forces of God, Satan, and the small voices in my head, I am not in total control. Therefore read at your own risk and DO NOT CALL 911.

BigBendHiker

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 06:14:11 PM »
...and we got up and retreated to the quiet more local occupied La Kiva.  We had a very enjoyable dinner (chicken fried steak) and time with Glenn and some locals. Good beer, and music, not too many people.

We ate at La Kiva while out there over Christmas.  Really enjoyed it.  Good food, good music and atmosphere.   Chatted with Glenn for a few minutes.  Even got to see their dungeon (through the Hobbitt door there near the front).  We would definitely go back to La Kiva.

BBH
Sounds like our same experience including the dungeon and history which included the employee parties. A Really cool, and cave like area for parties. La Kiva is nothing like it looks from the outside, you must enter to get the full experience. Sit on the all tree furniture, navigate the unleveled floors and tables, along with the art work. We will always eat there while in the area.

Yep, very neat place, indeed.

Offline stingrey

• Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
  • I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back.
    • Mother Nature Framed
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 04:31:55 PM »
I love this thread! More often than not I stick with the reliable sources just in case, but I'm looking forward to trying a few more places when time permits. I HAVE to add to the list of recommendations for Ghost Town Cafe. I even bought one of their t-shirts to wear because of how awesome I think their grub is.

I know she doesn't normally do it anymore, but when this place first opened up the owner made an AWESOME German Chocolate Cake. If offered, this lady's desserts are prize winning. If you thought the meal was amazing, just know that IF she did desserts more often, the place would possibly bring in traffic just because of her desert desserts.

On the same token, Starlight was great as usual when we went this past weekend. My 'rents had a regular burger w/fries and a chicken sandwich w/chips. I had the normal burger w/fries as well. My mom's gauge of whether or not a place is good or great has to do with the fries. She ate them all, and that was before we got a good hike in. On that note, my mom approves!
Get busy living, or get busy dying.

BigBendHiker

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 05:30:18 PM »
I love this thread! More often than not I stick with the reliable sources just in case, but I'm looking forward to trying a few more places when time permits. I HAVE to add to the list of recommendations for Ghost Town Cafe. I even bought one of their t-shirts to wear because of how awesome I think their grub is.

I know she doesn't normally do it anymore, but when this place first opened up the owner made an AWESOME German Chocolate Cake. If offered, this lady's desserts are prize winning. If you thought the meal was amazing, just know that IF she did desserts more often, the place would possibly bring in traffic just because of her desert desserts.

On the same token, Starlight was great as usual when we went this past weekend. My 'rents had a regular burger w/fries and a chicken sandwich w/chips. I had the normal burger w/fries as well. My mom's gauge of whether or not a place is good or great has to do with the fries. She ate them all, and that was before we got a good hike in. On that note, my mom approves!

I may have already weighed on on Ghost Town Cafe as being a great place to eat...but I just have to second Stingrey's comments.  Ghosttown Cafe is superb.  Really is.

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 07:52:46 AM »
I may have already weighed on on Ghost Town Cafe as being a great place to eat...but I just have to second Stingrey's comments.  Ghosttown Cafe is superb.  Really is.

I 3rd that recommendation. Their breakfast is amazingly good. The chili cheese omelet is spectacular, especially with their salsa (you might need a whole bottle of Rollaids later, but hey, you only live once, right?).

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 11:21:24 AM »
Did the Ghost Town Cafe used to be Ms. Tracy's?  I have eaten there in the past and I think it is the same building,  Great breakfast for sure.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Online Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 01:25:24 PM »
Did the Ghost Town Cafe used to be Ms. Tracy's?

Here is the link:http://ghosttowncafe.homestead.com

This looks like a place we'll have to check out on the next trip.

Offline Gwyn Glasslynn

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 02:35:45 PM »
The Starlight Theater was closed on September 25, 2010 but is going to re-open under new management/ownership in about two months.  I recommend eating at the High Sierra at the El Dorado Motel, La Kiva, Chili Pepper Cafe or Tivo's at the Longhorn Ranch Motel for dinner.  The Menu at the Big Bend Resort Cafe is okay.  I have had lunch there.  For lunch or breakfast India's Cafe, Chili Pepper, Roadrunner Deli at the Study Butte Store, Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe, Los Jalapenos at the Terlingua Store or Espresso ...y poco mas in the Ghost Town.  Have not tried the Chiso Mountain Lodge restaurant in a while.  I hear it is okay.  City folk do not expect what you get in Big City.  Terlingua/Study Butte all one town is a rural place everything comes via Ben E Keith distributor or bought in Alpine an 1 hour and 20 minutes away.

Offline DC6080

• Roadrunner
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 04:09:36 PM »
According to the Alpine Daily Planet in their interview with Bill Ivey, he
will have the same chef and manager. He has also already applied
for a new liquor license as well, according to the Alpine Avalanche. I
guess 2 months won't be that long to wait.

http://alpinedailyplanet.typepad.com/alpine-daily-planet/2010/09/ivey-emphasizes-that-the-starlight-will-reopen.html#tp

Offline aircrftmec

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 11:25:41 AM »
My vote for a great quality Mexican diner at a fair $$$ goes to Tivo's at the Longhorn Ranch motel :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!