Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

What? Big Bend Brewing Company no longer on tap at the Lodge?

• 30 Replies

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: What? Big Bend Brewing Company no longer on tap at the Lodge?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 06:12:25 PM »
Is the BBBC back on tap yet in the Lodge? Inquiring minds wish to know...   :icon_confused:

No. The bartender told me that because the beer is now being brewed in Florida and shipped to Texas, they are no longer serving it
Harsh!  Busted

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline nuggetf5

• Golden Eagle
  • Roadrunner
  • Currently hiking around Lawrence, KS
    • Mandolin Cafe
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 07:38:34 PM »
This news makes me very unhappy.

Couple of pints at the end of an OML mid-afternoon back in late October before checking into my room was a real highlight. I love that brew they're making and it's way, way above average in my humble opinion.

Any reason a bunch of us can't lodge a formal complaint with someone in the bar management there?
Mandolin Cafe
Since 1995

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 08:09:20 PM »
Is the BBBC back on tap yet in the Lodge? Inquiring minds wish to know...   :icon_confused:

No. The bartender told me that because the beer is now being brewed in Florida and shipped to Texas, they are no longer serving it
That does not even make sense. There must be more to the story...

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 48 years.
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 01:07:58 PM »

Perhaps someone that really likes beer (not me) should contact them directly to get the answers. Their web site says nothing about Florida, just San Antonio.

http://bigbendbrewing.com/brewery#contact
Fort Worth

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 01:51:25 PM »
I feel ripped off. What was I drinking at their brewery in alpine??

Offline Talusman

• Black Bear
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 02:13:02 PM »

Perhaps someone that really likes beer (not me) should contact them directly to get the answers. Their web site says nothing about Florida, just San Antonio.

http://bigbendbrewing.com/brewery#contact

The brewery on your link is the one in Alpine. That's the only one I have ever been to, bought glasses and T shirts, and got a tour and tasting from the back. Florida? Flash is correct, that does not make sense
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 02:19:59 PM »
Need to ask the maintenance guy or one of the cashiers at the station. They often know the scoop...

---> Sent from Flash's phone

Offline Hang10er

• Diamondback
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 03:14:59 PM »
I like the Terlingua Gold.  First time I had it was at the Starlight, on tap, with the chicken fried hog steak. 

One day while back at home I was at a big box liquor store and I looked hard for Terlingua Gold and couldn't find it.   Then one time I was up in San Antonio with a friend who drinks beer and we looked for it.  Found another style that the Big Bend Brewing Company makes but not Terlingua Gold. 

A few days later a smile came across my face and I was ok with it.  I don't want to drive to the big box liquor store when I feel like a Terlingua Gold. 

I want to drive to Big Bend.

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 03:27:52 PM »
I nominate Talusman to get to the bottom of this when he's in the park this month.  He knows his beer and has a history of pulling intel from the Lodge staff (the infamous cattail falls oath)

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 03:38:49 PM »
I feel ripped off. What was I drinking at their brewery in alpine??

Beer.

If it tastes good, who cares where it was brewed?
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline Talusman

• Black Bear
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 03:55:37 PM »

I just called the Brewery in Alpine. They are still there and still brewing. Got the new tap room hours as well. Florida is a BS story.
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 10:18:35 PM »

I just called the Brewery in Alpine. They are still there and still brewing. Got the new tap room hours as well. Florida is a BS story.

Haaa! Sounds like Forever resorts and BBBC got into a disagreement maybe. Probably about money.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2018, 06:06:58 PM »
Best I can figure so far, the issue is with the distributor, not the brewer. Story goes (if true) the Bud distributor is the bad guy and couldn't be relied upon to make timely deliveries... so they (the Lodge that is) dumped them.

---> Sent from Flash's phone
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:43:23 PM by Flash »

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 08:53:19 PM »
Oh, another tidbit I learned was the four stores and the Lodge each do their own beer ordering, so two of the stores still carry BBBC (Basin and RGV?) and the other two supposedly no longer do.

Asked a waiter at the Lodge why they no longer carried BBBC? He said, "They started brewing it in Austin, so we no longer carry it." In a friendly manner, I let him know that I wasn't buying that story, so he just shrugged and brought me my bottle of Guinness. I believe the distributor switch story, the rest seems to be smoke and mirrors to me.

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 09:23:53 PM »
Nothing wrong with a Guiness !!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!