Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

2019 Compendium

• 6 Replies

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
2019 Compendium
« on: March 20, 2019, 09:19:02 AM »

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
Re: 2019 Compendium
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 10:12:23 AM »
Page 33 shows that some of the campsites on the South Rim have now been re-labeled. For example, SW3 is now SR3.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 10:40:06 AM »
For the Peregrine Falcon Closure, Crown Mountain, Lost Mine Peak, and Toll Mountain have been removed from the list of closed areas.

Day use group size requiring a permit was lowered from 40 to 30 or more persons more than a quarter mile from any trailhead (formerly "on all Chisos Mountain Trails").

Solo Hiker stuff has been deleted.

In the backcountry section, there's this:
"In the interest of protecting night skies, outdoor lighting will be limited between 10pm and 6am to hand held lighting designed for wayfinding, and lighting needed for immediate camp chores or cooking."  :eusa_think:

The following backcountry sites have been removed:
Nugent Mountain 2 (NM2)
Woodson's 1 (WO1)
Woodson's 2 (WO2)
Jewels Camp 1 (JE1)
Jewels Camp 2 (JE2)
Chimneys 1 (CH1)
Solis 3 (SO3)
Solis 4 (SO4)

Rattlesnake Mountain (RM1) has been added.

No clue what the campsite name changes in the attached Peregrine Falcon Closure map are about. Maybe an internal database thing?

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 10:41:46 AM »
Page 33 shows that some of the campsites on the South Rim have now been re-labeled. For example, SW3 is now SR3.

And yet the table on pages 29-30 still have the old names. :eusa_think:

I contacted the park via email. We'll see what they say...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:48:26 AM by RichardM »

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 11:04:13 AM »
I see the 2019 compendium still mandates that backcountry permits be issued at ALL visitor centers and contact stations, even though that's not currently the case.

I can't say for certain without checking last year's compendium, but it looks like the requirements for river-running have been significantly relaxed. I see no a priori mandates for carrying a fire pan (though any riverside fires, IF created, must use a firepan), nor for carrying portable toilet facilities (e.g., Wagbags). If so, this is welcome. I can ditch the firepan since I use containerize stoves exclusively. I'll still carry Wagbags. They seem like the responsible thing to use.

[Edit: portable toilet facilities are still required. The requirement is no longer listed under river travel, but can be found under "Sanitation and Refuse".  Fire pans, too; listed under "Fires".  Oh, well.......]
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 11:15:59 AM by House Made of Dawn »
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 08:00:44 AM »
Here's a link to the live Falcon Cam for the Peregrine falcon that nests on the UT tower:
https://biodiversity.utexas.edu/resources/falcon-cam

UT definitely should be shut down during the mating season.  Of the falcon, that is. 

I think Chicago should be closed too, since the Peregrine falcon is the official city bird of Chicago.
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 11:53:40 AM »
And yet the table on pages 29-30 still have the old names. :eusa_think:

I contacted the park via email. We'll see what they say...
Here's the official word:
"Some of the campsites in the High Chisos will get new names, but we aren't sure when this will happen.  Currently the names have not changed. 

There will probably be a press release and notices on our website when this happens."

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!