Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Aoudad control starts

• 50 Replies

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Aoudad control starts
« on: August 13, 2019, 03:02:35 PM »
Looks like there will be a lot of helicopter traffic over the Dead Horse mountains this coming week while they shoot as may Aoudads as they can.

Dagger Flat and Old Ore Road will be closed.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Aoudad control starts
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 03:50:48 PM »
We almost hit two in our truck last trip.  Sounds good!

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 04:10:36 PM »
Ö and impair park visitorís ability to experience natural conditions and scenery.

A rather bizarre statement of presumption on the writer's part.  :icon_rolleyes:  I kind of think that seeing an aoudad is cool!   :great:

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 05:15:28 PM »
EXHASPERATION:

I have no "truck" with any Aoudad, but if they are going to shoot them anyway...

Why in the world did the powers that be not offer hunts that would require permits that would earn the Park money instead of costing the Park money?  I am certain that the Park paid dearly for the helicopter shooters.

I would have paid to hunt the Dead Horse Mountains for sure.

Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 07:23:53 PM »
Why in the world did the powers that be not offer hunts that would require permits that would earn the Park money instead of costing the Park money?
Do you really want to set a precedent for allowing hunters to pay for the privilege of hunting in the national parks?
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline alan in shreveport

• Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 08:32:12 PM »
Ö and impair park visitorís ability to experience natural conditions and scenery.

A rather bizarre statement of presumption on the writer's part.  :icon_rolleyes:  I kind of think that seeing an aoudad is cool!   :great:

agreed

Offline bcampbell

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 08:43:35 PM »
Why in the world did the powers that be not offer hunts that would require permits that would earn the Park money instead of costing the Park money?
Do you really want to set a precedent for allowing hunters to pay for the privilege of hunting in the national parks?
Why not, it is after all the publicís land. And last time I checked, us hunters are also part of the public. Such a program could bring in much needed money at a time when such money is not always available due to crooked politicians.

Sent from my iPad using Big Bend Chat

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 10:07:21 PM »

Already happens on lands administered by NPS.

About 35 percent of the NPSí acreage uses hunting to manage game populations, - Mostly in Alaska.

However in this case due to the remote and tough environment, wholesale slaughter from helicopter may be the most effective method. Brutal but efficient.

Curious if theyíll recover the carcasses? If hunters were used they would be required to pack out the meat.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:13:23 PM by badknees »
Not all those who wander are lost.
Ė J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 10:55:25 PM »

agreed

I, too, enjoy all of the critters, even the feral donkeys.  BUT (the choice has already been made to shoot them), if they are going to pay to shoot them from helicopters, then some sort of precedent is already set.  A fair hunt is in no way less civilized (in fact, if you are sympathetic  toward the sheep, you'd really rather that I try to shoot one).

I doubt that the Aoudad have a preference.  Shot at random from a helicopter is barbaric as compared with a humane kill by a respectful hunter who appreciates what he is into.  We don't dance over our clean kills and we don't just fly away.

I just know that hunting the Deadhorse Mountains would be a big-time honor.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:06:22 PM by dprather »
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Meadows8903

• Roadrunner
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 07:05:30 AM »
The Texas state parks manage their game populations with hunters that win the privilege through a paid lottery program. I sign up for several hunts every year but Iíve never had my name picked. It seems to work very well and brings in extra cash that Iím sure the NPS could use in one way or another.

Hunting Big Bend would be a thrill and truly an experience to remember for those of us that love the place. Iíve hunted feral hogs from a helicopter in south Texas. Trust me...itís definitely not glamorous and simply a means to kill as many animals as possible as quickly as possible. I think a lottery program where a small group of hunters take a couple of animals each over a week would be much more palatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"Bend-ing since 1992"

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 07:24:50 AM »
The Texas state parks manage their game populations with hunters that win the privilege through a paid lottery program. I sign up for several hunts every year but Iíve never had my name picked. It seems to work very well and brings in extra cash that Iím sure the NPS could use in one way or another.

Hunting Big Bend would be a thrill and truly an experience to remember for those of us that love the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Not going to wade into hunting vs helicopter management but the State of Texas has been extremely successful in their lottery hunts.   Like Madows8903, I've been registering for about 20 years and have NEVER been drawn.  You used to have to go to TP&W to get the "book" and mail in your application.  Then early fall I'd get that dreaded post card saying "You didn't get picked but we gave you a preference point for next year"!!!  Now they have it online.  Registration is instant, just push "send" and the money is sucked right out of my account.  Couple weeks ago I sent them another chunk.  Registered for whitetail hunt, exotics and a guided hunt for an oryx or something.

Interesting part of it is they usually include some data like how many permits they issued the previous year, how many this year, number of applicants the previous year and hunter success rate.  They have thousands of people applying in almost all categories.  It's a nominal fee to apply and then usually a little over a hundred if you're picked. 

Like DPrather and Meadows said, it would be neat to hunt the Deadhorse Mountains or anywhere in BiBE.  One of the hunts I applied for was actually Seminole Canyon.   

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 08:54:45 AM »
As all hunters can attest to, shooting is the easiest part, cleaning is the toughest.  I can't imagine that the meat would be any good  after gutting and dragging a carcass around in the desert in 100 degrees.    Choot 'em all!

The area they are working is not really going to do much overall.  They have to get serious and work the entire park.  A few years back, Lance and I came across a herd of about 20 near Domiquez spring on Skull Ridge.  Seen them on top of Nuggent, Elephant Tusk, Kit Mountain and Burro Mesa.  They are everywhere.

My main concern is that the Park also see the elk as a invasive species.  Are they going to warrant the same treatment as stinky Aoudad?

God Bless the AR10!  And the AR15!   I know I personally wouldn't spend a bunch of my money to shoot them from a helicopter, but I know there are plenty of others who would throw down serious money for the opportunity.  That money could pay for a composting toilet up on the NE rim.   Call it "The Crap Shoot"       :great:
First Russian Collusion, then Mueller, then Obstruction, then illegal payment to Stormy Daniels, then tax returns. Now no formal vote on impeachment for a 30 min. phone call to Ukraine

No crime. No evidence, just more secret investigations

Drain the Swamp.  America will survive.  God Bless America

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 09:19:27 AM »

Call it "The Crap Shoot" :great:

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 10:05:44 AM »
As all hunters can attest to, shooting is the easiest part, cleaning is the toughest.  I can't imagine that the meat would be any good  after gutting and dragging a carcass around in the desert in 100 degrees.    Choot 'em all!

The area they are working is not really going to do much overall.  They have to get serious and work the entire park.  A few years back, Lance and I came across a herd of about 20 near Domiquez spring on Skull Ridge.  Seen them on top of Nuggent, Elephant Tusk, Kit Mountain and Burro Mesa.  They are everywhere.

It would be one really tough area to hunt on foot and to carry anything out.  I think the main reason they are working that area is it is also the only area with desert bighorn too so they want to take away the competition.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 10:39:39 AM »

It would be one really tough area to hunt on foot and to carry anything out.  I think the main reason they are working that area is it is also the only area with desert bighorn too so they want to take away the competition.
According to the management plan document, the area restricted this week, the Deadhorse and Santiago Mountains, is the highest priority area because of the presence of bighorn sheep in the northern Deadhorse, as ME mentioned.

I have seen aoudad on Maverick Mountain near Indian Head.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!