Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Aoudad control starts

• 50 Replies

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Re: Aoudad control starts
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2019, 11:37:20 PM »
Regarding irresponsible hunters - yea, there are some.  There are also irresponsible backpackers, and etc.

And that is another great reason to let ME hunt the Deadhorse Mountains.  LOOK...LOOK...I can be responsible (now only if I was a better shot)
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2019, 08:20:36 AM »
As someone who is familiar with the terrain in the Dead Horse Mountains, Mule Ears has it right. "It would be one really tough area to hunt on foot and to carry anything out." Can you imagine packing in a high powered rifle in addition to your other gear, all in hopes of getting a long range shot at an animal which is no threat to you and which you have no hope if acquiring for meat? And for all the "poor shots" among us. How about the joy of watching through your binoculars while a wounded animal thrashes around or manages to gain enough lame footing to scramble just out of sight, preventing your kill shot. And you are somehow supposed to derive pleasure from this? Best leave extermination to the exterminators. There are plenty of opportunities in Texas for responsible hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 08:39:43 AM by Reece »

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2019, 08:30:32 AM »
Ill take that shot.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2019, 08:34:03 AM »
Best leave extermination to the exterminators.
Well said.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2019, 10:57:56 PM »
Well, the week of closures on the east side is over now. I wonder what is the report?  :eusa_think:

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2019, 01:24:05 PM »
They shot like 82 aoudad, left them where they were shot; and counted I think like 18 bighorn

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2019, 02:17:29 PM »
So itís aoudad racks for the taking, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2019, 03:01:20 PM »
They shot like 82 aoudad, left them where they were shot; and counted I think like 18 bighorn
Thanks for the info, Steelfrog! Hopefully, that might take the pressure off the bighorn sheep and their numbers eventually go up.

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2019, 04:45:34 PM »
Thatís good news on all fronts.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2019, 10:08:34 PM »
So itís aoudad racks for the taking, eh?

Well, given the NPS mindset on collecting anything....NOPE.

Even though they don't belong there, the attitude undoubtedly is 'they're part of the park and there's no collecting in the park.'
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2019, 10:13:57 PM »
Thatís good news on all fronts.

Unless you are an Aoudad
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2019, 06:56:55 AM »
"remains will be left on the landscape and returned to the park nutrient cycle"

Truthfully, isn't this all you can really hope for. 

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2019, 08:23:21 PM »
I was browsing the mountains around and near Devil's Den with Lance's Google Earth Project, dreaming about a possible future hike, when I spotted what looked like trails winding around in the northern Sierra del Carmens. Not far from the upper end of Devil's Den, I saw very clear cut trails and a couple of intersections that started to look like aoudad crossroads (click link for a CalTopo map). In any case, my guess is these are well worn game trails into which lesser trails converge toward the water sources down in the Devils Den? Maybe a carcass or three might be found out there.  :eusa_think:

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2019, 11:50:38 AM »
Regarding irresponsible hunters - yea, there are some.

Unfortunately, our local Aoudad hunting guide service is one of the biggest offenders around. Given how segmented Terlingua Ranch has become, their entire business model is basically predicated on trespass and poaching. The owner of the company has all but admitted it, but the money is too good to stop so he plays whack-a-mole with the wardens and leaves caped and headless carcasses on private property across the ranch. Meanwhile, landowners who report or confront him face threats and live fire over their homes. I used to support private aoudad control until this outfit came into my life, but now I simply can't tolerate on my property.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!