Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Aoudad control starts

• 50 Replies

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Aoudad control starts
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2019, 02:03:28 PM »

Unfortunately, our local Aoudad hunting guide service is one of the biggest offenders around. Given how segmented Terlingua Ranch has become, their entire business model is basically predicated on trespass and poaching. The owner of the company has all but admitted it, but the money is too good to stop so he plays whack-a-mole with the wardens and leaves caped and headless carcasses on private property across the ranch.

So, what does the Sheriff say about this?

I find it difficult to believe the game wardens cannot make a case.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2019, 02:43:47 PM »
The sheriff and the wardens are fully aware, but the way the law is written they basically have to catch them in the act, hence the whack-a-mole reference. Terlingua Ranch is over 200,000 acres in size and there is a single warden and a handful of deputies for the entire county. They simply don't have the resources and the hunt guides know it. There a few landowners that work with them, including my neighbor, but they typically only own a hundred or fewer acres and that's tiny by aoudad standards. The guides get paid big if they recover the trophy, so they poach. Simple as that.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2019, 02:47:25 PM »
Maybe someone should sue their butts in civil court for false advertising.  Looks like on their site they claim they have access to a 250,000 acre ranch, although they say, they only have access to 10,000 acres on the tops of mountains, which they claim is all that matters since that's where the aoudad are.  There's the one there in Terlingua and the competitor out west that also runs hunts in Terlingua on a more limited basis.

$3,500 for a ram.  Decent money!

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2019, 02:53:51 PM »
Hard to say what 250,000 acre ranch they are talking about,... there just aren't many ranches out here that size anymore. I suspect they're talking about Terlingua Ranch itself. Given that there are approximately 5,000 members who own the roughly 9,500 individual tracts that make up the Ranch, eventually they'll piss someone off enough to sue them into nonexistence... or worse.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2019, 03:11:54 PM »
Agreed--I think that's exactly what they're talking about, TR.

And yes I get what you are intimating; maybe some of those TR residents may resort to self help, and if they do, they may be justified in so doing:

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.9.htm

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2019, 05:12:31 PM »
Agreed--I think that's exactly what they're talking about, TR.

And yes I get what you are intimating; maybe some of those TR residents may resort to self help, and if they do, they may be justified in so doing:

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.9.htm

Poacher control sounds a lot more exciting than Aoudad control - and I'm NOT in for that hunt
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!