Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Barker Lodge

• 11 Replies

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Barker Lodge
« on: September 11, 2018, 04:56:22 PM »
Saw this mentioned in the Terlingua Moon. This is commonly referred to as the Research Station.

Big Bend Seeks Expressions of Interest in Adaptive Reuse of Historic Building

News Release Date: September 5, 2018

The National Park Service issues a Request for Expressions of Interest (RFEI) concerning the adaptive reuse of the historic Barker Lodge located on the Rio Grande River in Big Bend National Park through a lease with the National Park Service. This RFEI is issued solely for information and planning purposes and does not constitute a Request for Proposal (RFP) or a promise to issue a RFP in the future.

Big Bend National Park preserves a large area of the Chihuahuan Desert, encompassing spectacular wilderness character, scenic values, natural dark skies and the biological and geological diversity of the Big Bend area, including the Chisos Mountains and the Rio Grande and its canyons. The NPS is open to ideas of what the historic building could be used for under a lease, as long as it supports the purpose and mission of Big Bend National Park. The RFEI describes prohibited uses. NPS is seeking both short- and long-term lease options.

I'm thinking "BigBendChat Clubhouse" would support the purpose and mission of BBNP.  :eusa_dance:

https://www.loc.gov/item/tx0916/ shows its location as being across the border, about a third of a mile SSE of Falcon's.  :icon_rolleyes:
Here's where it really is.
https://goo.gl/maps/n9rtRnJkxaQ2

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Diamondback
Re: Barker Lodge
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 07:10:45 PM »
Oh my, the possibilities!

1) Combination nail salon, Subway, and Starbucks
2) International hydro-plant project to power Boquillas and RGV
3) Burro Tours!
4) Wedding venue
5) Water Slide
6) Day care and/or boarding kennel

Anything else that will make the NPS target audience feel right at home
Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 08:37:43 PM »
I'm thinking "BigBendChat Clubhouse" would support the purpose and mission of BBNP.  :eusa_dance:

Since the NPS, by its ever-increasing fees and restrictions, clearly wants to eliminate the working class from being able to use the parks, the best and highest solution would be to lease the building in even increments of 30 days (anywhere from one month to a full year) to the incredibly well-heeled tourist looking for the ultimate in experience and attention.

It essentially would be a federal airBnB with truly obscene rates that would allow assigning at least one, and perhaps two, funny hatters to attend to the leasee's every need from personal service to private activities in the public place.

Imagine having every meal prepared and catered by a funny hat chef (and I don't mean the white stovepipe model) in full uniform and a personal guide assigned to shepherd the customer to every place of interest in the park. Of course, they would be chauffeured in a special stretch model of a law enforcement vehicle so that lights and siren would ensure no delays in taking the customer wherever they wanted and would receive preferential rights at every venue (no waiting their turn for anyone ahead of them).

Turn-down service would be a given, with a mint on the pillows every night.

Rates of $1,000 a night (or more...the higher the better as it becomes ever more exclusive and desirable as costs rise) would ensure that only the most deserving would impose on the private playground of the NPS.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline tbone

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 08:50:38 PM »

Since the NPS, by its ever-increasing fees and restrictions, clearly wants to eliminate the working class from being able to use the parks, the best and highest solution would be to lease the building in even increments of 30 days (anywhere from one month to a full year) to the incredibly well-heeled tourist looking for the ultimate in experience and attention.

It essentially would be a federal airBnB with truly obscene rates that would allow assigning at least one, and perhaps two, funny hatters to attend to the leasee's every need from personal service to private activities in the public place.

Imagine having every meal prepared and catered by a funny hat chef (and I don't mean the white stovepipe model) in full uniform and a personal guide assigned to shepherd the customer to every place of interest in the park. Of course, they would be chauffeured in a special stretch model of a law enforcement vehicle so that lights and siren would ensure no delays in taking the customer wherever they wanted and would receive preferential rights at every venue (no waiting their turn for anyone ahead of them).

Rates of $1,000 a night (or more...the higher the better as it becomes ever more exclusive and desirable as costs rise) would ensure that only the most deserving would impose on the private playground of the NPS.
I don't know, I was expecting more...

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 08:54:53 PM »
Seems I may recall that Barker Lodge had been a privately-owned inholding in the early years of the Park, kind of like a small but nice part of Grand Teton NP was awarded to one of its early benefactors.  Not sure if the Barker Lodge property later was passed to the NPS, but the article seems to imply ownership or at least control. Maybe the heirs are putting heat on them to make actual use of it? I need the rest of the story.  ;)

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 09:36:22 PM »

For the right price, you will be able to dictate your own terms; the NPS happily will accommodate you. Well, at least tolerate you as they pretend to be honored by your presence (and even more so by your money).

Undoubtedly, for just a little more, they will induct you as a real funny hatter (expires with your lease) and let you twist the knobs and push the buttons on the siren and light bar.

Think Vegas high-roller or Dubai, both examples of what a little cash will get you in the desert.

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 09:40:50 PM »
Seems I may recall that Barker Lodge had been a privately-owned inholding in the early years of the Park, kind of like a small but nice part of Grand Teton NP was awarded to one of its early benefactors.  Not sure if the Barker Lodge property later was passed to the NPS, but the article seems to imply ownership or at least control. Maybe the heirs are putting heat on them to make actual use of it? I need the rest of the story.  ;)

At one point, in the 1970s, it was used by Sul Ross State Univ. as a research center. I stayed there for a week in July of '77 while taking their Geology Field Camp. It was a nice change from the tents we usually used when in the field elsewhere.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 09:59:05 PM »

The Barker House was originally the US Customs house for the area.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 10:29:55 PM »

The Barker House was originally the US Customs house for the area.
You are correct. I read that it was built 1907 by John Rutledge. Then in 1936, the Barker Family added on to it and used it as a retreat until it became part of the Park.

Found a great resource on it at the Library of Congress.

Offline tbone

• Coyote
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 11:12:16 PM »

For the right price, you will be able to dictate your own terms; the NPS happily will accommodate you. Well, at least tolerate you as they pretend to be honored by your presence (and even more so by your money).

Undoubtedly, for just a little more, they will induct you as a real funny hatter (expires with your lease) and let you twist the knobs and push the buttons on the siren and light bar.

Think Vegas high-roller or Dubai, both examples of what a little cash will get you in the desert.
No, I meant better satire. You've set such a high standard for yourself. Don't worry, it happens to the best of us...

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 12:08:00 AM »
No, I meant better satire. You've set such a high standard for yourself. Don't worry, it happens to the best of us...

Oh, I thought I did a pretty good job.

What was lacking?

Pointers & constructive criticism welcome.

Offline Hookim

• Coyote
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 06:18:03 PM »

Oh, I thought I did a pretty good job.

What was lacking?

Pointers & constructive criticism welcome.
Man, I love this forum. I get numerous laughs a week. Salty.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!