Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Trump officials weigh keeping national parks open even if government shuts down

• 36 Replies

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
I love how the Park Service is showing their true colors during this Schudown.

In other words, "we aren't go to be there to hold your hands in case you fall down and go boom."

After that BIBE Facebook post,  I think I want to go the Park now. 

Hey, this much more reasonable response than the last time, could be used (but we know it won't) as an opportunity to reset the total control mindset of the NPS.

Letís be clear, for better or worse, this isnít the NPSís decision, itís Zinkeís (and, I assume, the White Houseís). Iím not going to prejudge the results, but Iím very interested to see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
The '13 shut down was a mean spirited attempt to hurt as many people as possible to prove a political point as demonstrated by shutting down the pull off on Hwy 244 near Rushmore and the aforementioned shutting down of the websites.   All an attempt to make the shut down be noticeable and make the most impact on the public.  This was purely to make the "at-fault" Republicans (who wanted to repeal Obama care) look insensitive.

Even though the administration could have chosen to go the same mean spirited option Obama did in 2013, today's shutdown does not aim to hurt as many people as possible. Thus, keeping the gates to parks, memorials, etc. and other things open.

Of course, all of this could be avoided if petulant children weren't chosen to run this government. But, that is apparently what we want. So, that's what we get.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 05:35:10 PM by Casa Grande »

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion

Hey, this much more reasonable response than the last time, could be used (but we know it won't) as an opportunity to reset the total control mindset of the NPS.

Letís be clear, for better or worse, this isnít the NPSís decision, itís Zinkeís (and, I assume, the White Houseís). Iím not going to prejudge the results, but Iím very interested to see how it goes.

Of course it isn't the NPS's decision. If left to them, they'd close it all again. Remember, their mouthpiece and proxy, the NPCA, was loading their shorts over the prospect of unsupervised use.

However, it still could be used as the initiative in a way overdue and desperately needed moderation of their extreme mindset about control over the public.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
I see this time around the NPS web site is still active.  I never understood why they felt it needed to be shut down last time around.  It's not like there needed to be an active overseer to a static web site.
It seemed to me that the shut down the websites last time to draw more attention. Not sure it had any effect on Congress, but they had limited ammo.

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio

:great:   This is like watching a hard core game of Texas Holdem

In other words, "we aren't go to be there to hold your hands in case you fall down and go boom."

After that BIBE Facebook post,  I think I want to go the Park now.  😆

Important Notice to Park Visitors

Due to the lapse in federal appropriations, the National Park Service (NPS) is unable to fully staff the properties under its management. It is not feasible to close or otherwise prohibit all access to NPS properties. Park visitors are advised to use extreme caution if choosing to enter NPS property, as NPS personnel will not be available to provide guidance, assistance, maintenance, or emergency response. Any entry onto NPS property during this period of federal government shutdown is at the visitorís sole risk.

The NPS will not operate parks during the shutdown period, and no visitor services will be provided. The NPS will not issue permits, conduct educational programs, collect trash, operate or provide restrooms, maintain roads or walkways (including plowing and ice melting), or provide visitor information.

The NPS will cease providing services for NPS-operated campgrounds, including maintenance, janitorial, bathrooms, showers, check-in/check-out, and reservations. Visitors in campgrounds will not be asked to leave, but no services will be available, including check-in/check-out services. Visitors holding campground reservations should be aware that there is no guarantee their reserved campsite will be ready and available should they arrive during a government shutdown.

During a Federal government shutdown, we do not monitor or update social media.
[/size]

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion

They even closed National Wildlife Refuges in an effort to make it hurt. It didn't work but I do wonder if NPS personnel have learned to stash away shutdown money for the next political "party" they participate in.

The '13 shut down was a mean spirited attempt to hurt as many people as possible to prove a political point as demonstrated by shutting down the pull off on Hwy 244 near Rushmore and the aforementioned shutting down of the websites.   All an attempt to make the shut down be noticeable and make the most impact on the public.  This was purely to make the "at-fault" Republicans (who wanted to repeal Obama care) look insensitive.

Even though the administration could have chosen to go the same mean spirited option Obama did in 2013, today's shutdown does not aim to hurt as many people as possible. Thus, keeping the gates to parks, memorials, etc. and other things open.

Of course, all of this could be avoided if petulant children weren't chosen to run this government. But, that is apparently what we want. So, that's what we get.

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion

Zinke?

After that BIBE Facebook post,  I think I want to go the Park now. 

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!