Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Big Bend National Park Proposal To Develop Multi-Use Biking Trail

• 82 Replies

Offline Raoul Duke

• Coyote
Re: Big Bend National Park Proposal To Develop Multi-Use Biking Trail
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2014, 09:24:33 AM »

So you think that creating a 2 mile long visible scar on pristine landscape in a National Park to benefit a few bicyclists is ok?

Two miles of single track? I'm OK with it. I don't view the trails that hikers use as scars. I worry more about irresponsible riders and the damage they do.

No, the trail is over 5 miles long supposedly, 2 or more of which are on the east side of Lone Mtn and it looks like someone took a bulldozer to the the entire lenght on the east side. It's disgusting that this was done. I have driven by it twice in the last month. Sickening. I thought the park svc was supposed to preserve views. Guess someone forgot the mission.

I haven't been to the Park since last November, so I can't speak as to whether the trail is visible from 385.  However, I can't imagine that a MTB trail would look like something that had been bulldozed.  Most trails that are devoted solely to MTB use are usually narrower than all of the major hiking trails in the Park and certainly should not be visible from far away.  For instance, some of the MTB trails near the Lajitas airport can be difficult to find until you are right on top of them.  Is what you are describing really a MTB trail, or is it a new road to access the trailhead?

"Getting bored with your neurosis?  Drop you analyst--drop him/her like a cold potato--and make tracks for the nearest river." -Edward Abbey

Offline wigfall

• Roadrunner
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2014, 08:33:41 AM »

I haven't been to the Park since last November, so I can't speak as to whether the trail is visible from 385.  However, I can't imagine that a MTB trail would look like something that had been bulldozed.  Most trails that are devoted solely to MTB use are usually narrower than all of the major hiking trails in the Park and certainly should not be visible from far away.  For instance, some of the MTB trails near the Lajitas airport can be difficult to find until you are right on top of them.  Is what you are describing really a MTB trail, or is it a new road to access the trailhead?

I don't have to imagine it, I saw it this week. A highly visable, 2plus mile long slash at the eastern base of Lone mtn. It's not a road, its the trail. the trailhead is near the petrol station

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2014, 10:51:47 AM »

I don't have to imagine it, I saw it this week. A highly visable, 2plus mile long slash at the eastern base of Lone mtn. It's not a road, its the trail. the trailhead is near the petrol station
Got a camera?

Offline wigfall

• Roadrunner
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2014, 07:43:06 PM »

Got a camera?

Yes, when I go back I'll take some

Offline brave6

• Coyote
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2014, 11:02:03 PM »
The trail is easily noticeable heading into PJ from quite a distance.  "Slash" is a good description.

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2014, 12:27:21 PM »
In looking over the proposed plan I see that the trail in its entirety will be 5 miles - 2.5 miles will be new trail and 2.5 miles will incorporate an existing road.  Just a guess, but I bet what some of you are seeing is the existing road segment of the trail and not newly built single-track. 

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2014, 12:50:47 PM »
Here is the trailhead for the Lone Mountain Trail in Google Earth.  I'm not really sure how this works, but in my version of Google Earth it shows what appears to be the trail segment that has been completed thus far.

Edit:  Maybe I wrote this in a way that is confusing.  I'm referring to the attachment below.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 12:40:54 PM by Ay Chihuahua! »

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »
It could be argued that every road, powerline cut, and trail are all ugly scars on an otherwise pristine landscape. Here's the thing: BIBE is NOT a pristine landscape.Historica lly, it was grazed and farmed and mined and ranched to its bare bones before it was preserved as a park. Secondarily, it IS a park. Parks provide double duty in that they provide recreation AND preservation. While these goals are seemingly at odds, it is at the comprimise between the two where our National (and Texas State) Parks reside. while it is important to minimize the effects of transpotation and infrastructure routes within a park, they are equally necessary to the long term support of park users.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline Stillwell Camper

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2014, 09:40:55 PM »
It could be argued that every road, powerline cut, and trail are all ugly scars on an otherwise pristine landscape. Here's the thing: BIBE is NOT a pristine landscape.Historica lly, it was grazed and farmed and mined and ranched to its bare bones before it was preserved as a park. Secondarily, it IS a park. Parks provide double duty in that they provide recreation AND preservation. While these goals are seemingly at odds, it is at the comprimise between the two where our National (and Texas State) Parks reside. while it is important to minimize the effects of transpotation and infrastructure routes within a park, they are equally necessary to the long term support of park users.

Thanks for your thoughtful response-- perhaps one of the best I've ever seen on this site.  One of Big Bend's greatest attractions is that can be enjoyed on many levels.

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2014, 12:44:23 PM »
Hey, Ranger Tim, do you ride a single-speed Karate Monkey?

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2014, 04:44:40 PM »
No but I do ride an old orange Surly 1x1. On most trails I normally ride a full-suspension Stumpjumper Comp for the trails out here though, as riding that 1x1 is like bringing a knife to a gun fight!
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline waddamaroon

• Jack Rabbit
  • Ate paint chips as a kid
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2014, 06:24:26 PM »
Back in 2006, I think it was, I had the opportunity to communicate my opinion to Superintendent Bill Wellman personally. At the time, I expressed my concern that a 5 mile ST would not be enough. If I've driven 8 or 9 hours to get to the park, and I found that a five mile trail was all that was available to me, then the temptation to "find my own trail" might be too hard to resist. I was concerned that bikers might be going off road or using existing hiking trails.
 :ecomcity:
My suggestion was to try to offer more than just a big loop in the center of the park. I'm not 100% clear about the "Wilderness" designation, but it seems to me that there are other areas in the park where an additional trail(s) could be built.
But quite frankly, if 5 miles is all we get, I'd rather do without.
Atta boy, girl!

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2014, 01:30:42 PM »
No but I do ride an old orange Surly 1x1. On most trails I normally ride a full-suspension Stumpjumper Comp for the trails out here though, as riding that 1x1 is like bringing a knife to a gun fight!
I don't remember the bike being orange, but the ranger that was helping me with places to ride was a New Braunfels native.

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2014, 01:32:47 PM »
Back in 2006, I think it was, I had the opportunity to communicate my opinion to Superintendent Bill Wellman personally. At the time, I expressed my concern that a 5 mile ST would not be enough. If I've driven 8 or 9 hours to get to the park, and I found that a five mile trail was all that was available to me, then the temptation to "find my own trail" might be too hard to resist. I was concerned that bikers might be going off road or using existing hiking trails.
 :ecomcity:
My suggestion was to try to offer more than just a big loop in the center of the park. I'm not 100% clear about the "Wilderness" designation, but it seems to me that there are other areas in the park where an additional trail(s) could be built.
But quite frankly, if 5 miles is all we get, I'd rather do without.
  I'm thinking the proposed 5 mile trail is kinda like a foot-in-the-door. 

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2014, 03:04:45 PM »
Ay Chihuahua, that was Barrett Durst, the Park Superintendent at BBRSP. He's a great guy and a heck of a rider,... and yeah, he rocks that SS Karate Monkey! See you at Bikefest in Feb 2015!
- J. Frank Dobie

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!