Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Boquillas Crossing

• 208 Replies

Offline DJ

• Roadrunner
Boquillas Crossing
« on: January 06, 2011, 07:58:39 PM »
As reported in the Houston Chronicle January 6, 2011:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7369446.html

SAN ANTONIO The U.S. has approved a plan to allow informal crossings between American and Mexican territories inside remote Big Bend National Park.

Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Alan Bersin visited Big Bend on Thursday and said construction on a crossing through Boquillas Canyon, which encompasses part of the park and Mexican protected lands, would begin in July.

He said the first boat carrying people back and forth is set to start crossing the Rio Grande in April 2012.

The crossing will not have customs but will require Americans to show passports to immigrations officials. Mexicans crossing must have U.S. visas.

The U.S. government has warned Americans against traveling to parts of Mexico because of drug violence, but Bersin said violence and illegal immigration are under control in such an isolated area.
Tranquility, solitude, serenity...

Offline MilesOfTexas

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • MilesOfTexas Photography
Re: Boquillas Crossing
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 08:03:06 PM »
Yey!!!  :eusa_clap:
"I have an excellent profession, but I don't enjoy it near as much as I do when I am in the heart of the wilderness, surrounded by marvelous creations, and efforting to capture what I see and feel so I may share it with others."

-Me 09/12/2011

BigBendHiker

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:25:40 PM »
This is very good news.

Offline Lorax

• Coyote
Re: Border Crossing in 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:09:11 PM »
This is great news.  This is good for the park visitors as well as the residents of Boquillas.

Offline sandersmr

• Maggie
  • Roadrunner
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 09:16:47 PM »
Oops - I didn't see this post and just posted the Houston Chronicle link in El Salon.

Moderator Note: you still caught it before I did.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 09:20:24 PM by RichardM »
Six years between trips - way too long.

Offline Collared Lizard

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 06:47:57 AM »
GREAT NEWS.  I CAN HARDLY WAIT.  I HOPE THE TOWN OF BOQUILLAS IS REBORN AND THRIVES. 

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 08:33:11 AM »
Cold Cerveza on the patio again at Falcon's :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance:
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 09:24:46 AM »
This is about the only reason I would get a passport.  I guess my whole family needs one in order to go hiking in the mountains.  I sure hope that propane refrigerator is still working in the bar.  I wonder if the beers and tequila shots will still be $1?   :willynilly:

Personally , when a government official makes a statement like this: "People who act criminally will act criminally regardless if there's a lawful crossing here," Bersin said.  It makes me question the validity of the story. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 09:40:56 AM by elhombre »
First Russian Collusion, then Mueller, then Obstruction, then illegal payment to Stormy Daniels, then tax returns. Now no formal vote on impeachment for a 30 min. phone call to Ukraine

No crime. No evidence, just more secret investigations

Drain the Swamp.  America will survive.  God Bless America

Offline Jim

• Black Bear
  • Visiting BBNP since 1975
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 10:03:43 AM »

Offline bjbriggs

• Diamondback
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 10:29:50 AM »

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 10:51:54 AM »
It sound like it going to happen this spring.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/state/article/Big-Bend-boat-crossing-to-open-next-spring-942311.php
If by "this spring", you mean April 2012, that is. :)

Alan Bersin, U.S. Customs and Border Protection commissioner, flew here by helicopter Thursday for a briefing on the crossing and to announce a scheduled opening date of April 2012. Construction on facilities at the crossing, near the park's eastern edge and within sight of the Mexican town of Boquillas del Carmen, will begin this summer.

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 11:02:35 AM »
This is such great news!!!  I hope Boquillas can recover after the crossing is reopened.

Offline Boojum1

• Diamondback
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 12:02:47 PM »
Excellent. I've never been...never was quite that adventurous on my many solo trips.  Now I can put it back on the 'list'.  Gringo Honeymoon!
Pithy quote free for years

Offline OldJeepr

• Coyote
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 12:47:26 PM »
This is about the only reason I would get a passport. 

I read the Houston Chronicle article, and then the comments.  Obviously many who made comments have never been there.  My bride and I crossed on a rowboat and rode the burro's up the hill back in '62, (somewhere I have an old 8mm movie of that).  Then we took our son and daughter on the excursion sometime in the early '70s.  We're ready to go again!

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 02:57:54 PM »
Praise be to Allah!  :notworthy:  :eusa_pray:

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!