Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Boquillas Crossing

• 208 Replies

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Boquillas Crossing
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 04:54:54 PM »
Praise be to Allah!  :notworthy:  :eusa_pray:

I find this paradoxical.

Al

Offline BigBendAg88

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 05:31:13 PM »
This is the best news I have heard in some time!!!

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 06:23:23 PM »
Praise be to Allah!  :notworthy:  :eusa_pray:

I find this paradoxical.

Al

:rolling:

I guess that's why I thought it was funny...blatant trolling at its worst.  :evil:

Offline LakeConroePenny

• Kangaroo Rat
Border Crossing in Big Bend
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 08:30:36 AM »
I just heard about this and wondered what y'all thought about it?:

"SAN ANTONIO Authorities on Thursday announced a plan to build a border crossing in West Texas' remote Big Bend National Park that would allow outdoor enthusiasts to explore the picturesque region on both sides of the Rio Grande despite U.S. government warnings that some parts of Mexico are unsafe to visit due to drug violence.

The crossing will be through Boquillas Canyon, which encompasses part of the park and Mexican protected lands, U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Alan Bersin said at a news conference in the park on Thursday. Construction of the necessary infrastructure, including a boat dock and visitor's center, is set to begin in July and a boat carrying people back and forth should be running by April 2012, he said."
More at: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/7369692.html

Happy Trails, Penny, TX

Offline Frau

• Coyote
Re: Border Crossing in Big Bend
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 08:53:52 AM »
I just heard about this and wondered what y'all thought about it?:

"SAN ANTONIO Authorities on Thursday announced a plan to build a border crossing in West Texas' remote Big Bend National Park that would allow outdoor enthusiasts to explore the picturesque region on both sides of the Rio Grande despite U.S. government warnings that some parts of Mexico are unsafe to visit due to drug violence.

The crossing will be through Boquillas Canyon, which encompasses part of the park and Mexican protected lands, U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Alan Bersin said at a news conference in the park on Thursday. Construction of the necessary infrastructure, including a boat dock and visitor's center, is set to begin in July and a boat carrying people back and forth should be running by April 2012, he said."
More at: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/7369692.html

Happy Trails, Penny, TX

Penny, I saw a thread on this earlier in the week~ so, it seems, the word is out and there is excitement in the air!

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 09:10:45 AM »
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 09:28:30 AM »
This is about the only reason I would get a passport. 

I read the Houston Chronicle article, and then the comments.  Obviously many who made comments have never been there.  My bride and I crossed on a rowboat and rode the burro's up the hill back in '62, (somewhere I have an old 8mm movie of that).  Then we took our son and daughter on the excursion sometime in the early '70s.  We're ready to go again!
Hey Jeeper, Shelley and I took the horses from Boquillas, through the giant sand dunes and up the mountain to the site of the old ore tram in the Sierra Del Carmens; I'm ready to do that again too, Shelley isn't!
QS
i would love to go on a horse from Boquillas! Is it possible to do it at present? Any more info on that??

Offline LakeConroePenny

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 01:16:09 PM »
OK, Thank you for directing me to the thread about it.

I will have to renew my British Passport, as even though I am Texan, that is what I have.

Happy Trails, Penny, Lake Conroe, TX

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 05:54:31 PM »
OK, Thank you for directing me to the thread about it.

I will have to renew my British Passport, as even though I am Texan, that is what I have.

Happy Trails, Penny, Lake Conroe, TX
yes, you better! I had to deal in an unpleasant way with the BP, because i didn't carry the Permanent Residency Card on my person! Why do you have a British Passport, if you are Texan? My son has dual citizenship, maybe you too?

Offline DC6080

• Roadrunner
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 07:24:19 PM »
That is indeed GREAT news! I haven't been able to do that since the "leaky canoe" crossings of the early 1990's. I read an article that mentioned showing visa,
passport, or "enhanced driver's license" to the camera. Does anyone know
what the latter of these is? How much is a visa and/or passport? Have the exact
procedures been determined yet?

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 06:27:24 AM »
Alright, here's your retirement dream, ripe for the picking. Plenty of time to do the preliminaries.

Take your savings and move to Terlingua. Buy some rowboats. Four should be enough. Go out into Big Bend Ranch SP and lasso a dozen or so burrows or drive them into a shut-up. Saddle-break them for shuttle use. Rent a corral for boarding on the Mexico side. Set up a shade tarp on the US side with some coolers. Secure the concession for cold beer and tequila shots to help the timid work up their courage. Charge ~$20 a pop to ferry them across the rio and burro-walk the patrons up to Boquillas and back and you've got yourself a dream job come true.

Offline Verduretiger

• Coyote
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 06:45:19 AM »
I just wonder what the unofficial position will be between now and April 2012?

chisos_muse

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 07:57:49 AM »
Alright, here's your retirement dream, ripe for the picking. Plenty of time to do the preliminaries.

Take your savings and move to Terlingua. Buy some rowboats. Four should be enough. Go out into Big Bend Ranch SP and lasso a dozen or so burrows or drive them into a shut-up. Saddle-break them for shuttle use. Rent a corral for boarding on the Mexico side. Set up a shade tarp on the US side with some coolers. Secure the concession for cold beer and tequila shots to help the timid work up their courage. Charge ~$20 a pop to ferry them across the rio and burro-walk the patrons up to Boquillas and back and you've got yourself a dream job come true.

Not quite a dream.....I've worked with the public for 30 years in various jobs and they're a HUGE pain in the ass!  :icon_wink:

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 08:14:01 AM »
I know. I'm upping the boat count to accommodate the rush when the border crossing opens.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!