Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Boquillas Crossing

• 208 Replies

Offline Voni

• Diamondback
    • Voni and Paul
Re: Boquillas Crossing
« Reply #165 on: April 13, 2013, 08:24:27 AM »
Live deeply, laugh fully, love widely
Terlingua, TX

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
   photo site:  http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a326/VoniGlaves/

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2013, 09:52:48 AM »
Nice Voni!  Thanks!

Offline kevint

• Black Bear
    • Pictures
« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2013, 09:59:07 AM »
Read and listened to every word. Very enlightening.
-- Kevin (W5KLT)

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."  --Yvon Chouinard

Offline Voni

• Diamondback
    • Voni and Paul
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2013, 10:51:02 AM »
Paul and I felt so honored to be there!  Here's our report and link to pictures in the Alpine Daily Planet:

http://alpinedailyplanet.typepad.com/alpine-daily-planet/2013/04/south-county-bureau-report-its-open-boquillas-welcomes-us-visitors-officials-media-folks.html

Voni
  sMiling
Terlingua, TX

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2013, 11:44:19 AM »
I'm jealous Voni!  But thanks for representin'!

Offline Voni

• Diamondback
    • Voni and Paul
« Reply #170 on: April 13, 2013, 01:23:55 PM »
Definitely an honor!
Terlingua, TX

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #171 on: April 13, 2013, 02:01:15 PM »
So all of the news and information has been about US folks going across to Boquillas and what and how much stuff you can bring back but any idea on how hard it is for the Mexican folks to come across and if they will be able to begin to shop again at the RGV store and bring it back to Boquillas?  It used to be an important source for them, of course the store may not carry what they need anymore after 11 years.

Just wondering?   :eusa_think:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #172 on: April 13, 2013, 09:12:50 PM »
Probably, dunno what we need to do is go and check it out for ourselves. Ask around the general feeling, post here...Enrich BBC with information. Just a thought of course.
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2013, 10:07:54 PM »
Hey Homero, when are we gonna have a Bender Summit in good old Boquillas Meheco?

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2013, 08:44:22 PM »
I believe I am more than ready...Just make sure it is not between June and August---you know better than I why not, :icon_lol:

Offline homerboy2u

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2013, 08:59:13 AM »
On today´s Zocalo's News paper here in my town. Nice BP group picture...Google Translator, should do the work for you.

Welcome to Mexico.

And somebody asked if I had any problems crossing in to Big Bend N.P. None what so ever, just bring along my Border Crossing Card and i am good to go.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2013, 10:06:21 AM »
The official word from a DHS source:
Yes, Mexican citizens with BCCs may enter at Boquillas.

:eusa_dance:

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2013, 08:53:48 PM »

Offline brave6

• Coyote
« Reply #178 on: April 28, 2013, 11:19:23 PM »
Went to Boquillas yesterday...

Take plenty of small cash.  Before we had even set foot in the town we were already in $15 for a boat (round trip at $5 per head and they didn't charge for our youngest), $16 for two horses (round trip for me and the youngest), and $10 for truck rides ($5 each for my wife and oldest). 

The town is full of energy.  They are excited and everyone is wanting to make a bit which is understandable, but at the same time it's nice to be left alone to enjoy.  Little about the experience felt leisurely, though.  We floated back out with 13 cents and had nothing left for tips. We didn't go in "sin nada", but a little here for this bracelet and a little for this one and a couple of walking sticks and a lunch at the Falcon and we were tapped.  On top of that there was a constant circulation of townsfolk hoping to sell or take you somewhere to buy.  Hopefully that will all ease up as time goes on.

I know... I sound like a sour gringo.... 

The tacos at Falcon haven't changed since my last trip 12/13 years ago, though. 

I'll post a couple of pictures tomorrow.

Offline brave6

• Coyote
« Reply #179 on: April 29, 2013, 09:12:31 AM »

US customs has a nice set up.  They whip you through on entry.  They do a quick check of passports to make sure you have what you need, give you some information on crossing and getting up to Boquillas, and tell you what you can bring back (almost everything available in town including vanilla extract) and what you can't (alcohol, tobacco, rocks, plants, and prescription drugs which have been tried a couple of times even though there is no pharmacy in Boquillas).

The return can be slow as the voice on the other end of the line at the kiosk can be extraordinarily tough to decipher.  It's an internet call to El Paso.  I would suggest that if you go make your return well before the 6:00 cut off.  If there is too much of line you may be stuck there for awhile.

And this is NOT an unmanned as some press and others have suggested.  There was one ranger at check in and another standing beside me at the kiosk as I reentered. 

How-to sign outside the US customs office at the foot of the trail to the river.

The most famous resident in all of northern Coahuila welcoming us with song.

Quite a few nice blooms on the road into town.  On our way to Persimmon Gap Sunday afternoon we could see them getting hammered by a rainstorm right around closing time.  Surely made for a fun finish for the week.

Your first stop in town is at the Customs station located in a compound in a trailer right across the street from the Falcon (seen here in the center).  You fill out a customs form and they give you a 'receipt' to be returned prior to leaving town. 

Your second stop is a block up the street at the visitor center to buy your boat tickets and to 'sign in'.  If you walked across the river I'm not so sure this step is required unless they are just trying to keep a tally of who is in town.  They also have shop which includes a wall of the famous walking sticks from everyone who makes them.  Each stick has a tag denoting the maker (so they can credit the proper person for the sale) and it was interesting to see the differences between each.  All were $6.  Our 6 year old went with a cane and I bought a fancy one made by Victor.

Across the street from the Falcon a new restaurant has opened and they sell enchiladas, but people that have been before or have heard the stories are all about the tiny bean tacos and burritos at the Falcon.  Prices have gone up slightly as is expected after 12 years.  What were they in 2000?  3 for a dollar?  I think they are now 3 for $3. We had 3 orders, 3 waters, and a beer for $14.

The pay-off...

The Falcon still has its shop full of all sorts of neato stuff "just like the old days".

The opening of the border has not changed the practice of goods being brought across the river.  We came across sticks and scorpions at both the Rio Grande Nature trail and the Hot Spring trail. 

We did not make it to the "town's best bar" as a 17 year old and 6 year old were along for the ride.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 10:36:44 AM by brave6 »

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!