Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Boquillas Crossing

• 208 Replies

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
Re: Boquillas Crossing
« Reply #180 on: April 29, 2013, 09:16:09 AM »
Best report so far. Thanks Brave one!
Does anyone have a take on how the "re-opening" will affect the safety of parking a vehicle at the Marufo Vega trail head for overnight hiking? Better or worse? I've heard in time past it's not the best place to leave a vehicle unattended.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:21:29 AM by Reece »

Offline brave6

• Coyote
« Reply #181 on: April 29, 2013, 09:25:59 AM »
Does anyone have a take on how the "re-opening" will affect the safety of parking a vehicle at the Marufo Vega trail head for overnight hiking? Better or worse? I've heard in time past it's not the best place to leave a vehicle unattended.

On the one hand I would think it may revert to the old code... when things get sketchy on the border the park puts pressure on the locals.  Though that's of little reassurance if your car is the one broken into.

On the other hand I don't know if the park can really close the border like they used to since it's now basically run by another branch of the government.

The hotter months of summer will slow down the traffic at the crossing.  With less money moving around there may be a few break-ins.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #182 on: April 29, 2013, 09:48:06 AM »

On the one hand I would think it may revert to the old code... when things get sketchy on the border the park puts pressure on the locals.  Though that's of little reassurance if your car is the one broken into.

On the other hand I don't know if the park can really close the border like they used to since it's now basically run by another branch of the government.

The hotter months of summer will slow down the traffic at the crossing.  With less money moving around there may be a few break-ins.
More than once I've heard speculation from locals that a lot of the break-ins came from "riff-raff" from Terlingua. The permanent residents of Boquillas are not a problem, as they depend on goodwill for their livelihood. With the crossing now open, there will be more border patrol and LE rangers in the area, at least for the short term, so I'd imagine things will be safer than before.

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #183 on: April 29, 2013, 10:34:13 AM »
The "Terlingua riff-raff/Boquillas goodwill" theory makes some sense but it also seems like a long way to go just to find a vehicle to break into. Is the Marufo Vega trail head an especially nice target for some reason?

Offline brave6

• Coyote
« Reply #184 on: April 29, 2013, 10:39:29 AM »
The "Terlingua riff-raff/Boquillas goodwill" theory makes some sense but it also seems like a long way to go just to find a vehicle to break into. Is the Marufo Vega trail head an especially nice target for some reason?

Isolated, easy to hear traffic coming in... easy to hide. 

I had never considered the Terlingua angle as it does seem like a long way to go for possibly no pay off.  The Boquillas idea was usually attributed to new folks or drifters who weren't really part of the town.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #185 on: August 02, 2013, 08:44:28 AM »
From the NPS website Park Alert:
BOQUILLAS CROSSING CLOSED 
Due to near flood conditions on parts of the Rio Grande, the crossing at Boquillas is closed as of 07/31/2013.   The conditions will be re-evaluated daily.   The Port of Entry building remains open, but the crossing is closed.

The Port of Entry building remains open, but the crossing is closed?  :eusa_think:   :eusa_shifty:   :icon_lol:

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #186 on: August 02, 2013, 09:39:42 AM »
Where did all the water come from?

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #188 on: August 02, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
From the NPS website Park Alert:
BOQUILLAS CROSSING CLOSED 
Due to near flood conditions on parts of the Rio Grande, the crossing at Boquillas is closed as of 07/31/2013.   The conditions will be re-evaluated daily.   The Port of Entry building remains open, but the crossing is closed.

The Port of Entry building remains open, but the crossing is closed?  :eusa_think:   :eusa_shifty:   :icon_lol:

From today's report

The Boquillas Crossing has gone back to normal. Boats are operating again
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #189 on: August 02, 2013, 03:38:49 PM »
a zip line would be cool, no need to worry about high water :great:
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline WayPoint15

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #190 on: August 02, 2013, 06:22:08 PM »
A bridge like the one La Linda would be good, but the Coast Guard would probably block it. :'( , so a zip line would be the best choice.

Offline Quixote Kid

• Roadrunner
« Reply #191 on: August 08, 2013, 04:08:02 PM »
We crossed in late July and the water was high then. It was NOT a leisurely crossing at all. The ferry guys worked extra hard and I gave them an extra tip going and coming.

One thing that seems to have changed is that you need to get a ticket to cross on the ferry. I never really did get a good answer as to why, but probably so they can control the costs? It was either $4 or $5 per round trip ticket per person. You get the tickets at the Rio Grande Village store before you go to the crossing. That's a pain.

Most everything else was still as described. It seems that the horse, donkey or truck ride prices vary depending on demand. I think It was horse = $8, donkey = $6, truck = $5.

We enjoyed a late lunch at the Falcon, sat around and visited and then headed over to the Park Bar cold beers in the shade.

We're looking forward to taking some family members back over this fall.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #192 on: February 19, 2014, 10:22:29 AM »
Date: February 18, 2014

The official Boquillas Port of Entry crossing, providing access to Boquillas, Coahuila, Mexico, as well as the protected areas of Maderas del Carmen, Ocampo, and Cañon de Santa Elena, will start summer hours of operation beginning February 26. 2014. The change in hours is to accommodate the later sunset times occurring this time of year.

Pedestrians will be able to access the port between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday. No vehicles will be allowed to cross and there will be no commercial importation of products.

The Boquillas Port of Entry is staffed by National Park Service information personnel who can assist travelers with information about visiting the area.

Offline wigfall

• Roadrunner
« Reply #193 on: February 20, 2014, 06:17:48 PM »
Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

The official Boquillas Port of Entry crossing, providing access to Boquillas, Coahuila, Mexico, as well as the protected areas of Maderas del Carmen, Ocampo, and Cañon de Santa Elena, will start summer hours of operation beginning February 26. 2014. The change in hours is to accommodate the later sunset times occurring this time of year.

Pedestrians will be able to access the port between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday. No vehicles will be allowed to cross and there will be no commercial importation of products.

The Boquillas Port of Entry is staffed by National Park Service information personnel who can assist travelers with information about visiting the area.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #194 on: February 20, 2014, 06:45:05 PM »
Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

I guess that depends on whom you work for. If you're with the NPS or Customs, you'll have to stay on the job at the crossing station an extra hour.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!