Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Boquillas Crossing

• 208 Replies

Offline wigfall

• Roadrunner
Re: Boquillas Crossing
« Reply #195 on: February 20, 2014, 08:33:38 PM »
The parkies changed it from 8-5 to 9-6, I don't see the extra hour. The no car statement seems odd.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #196 on: February 20, 2014, 09:08:29 PM »
The parkies changed it from 8-5 to 9-6, I don't see the extra hour. The no car statement seems odd.
Ah, in that case they might as well align it with DST. :icon_rolleyes:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:34:20 PM by RichardM »

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #197 on: February 20, 2014, 09:11:21 PM »

It says "No vehicles will be allowed to cross"
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Lebkuecher

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #198 on: May 22, 2014, 10:53:38 PM »
I crossed over last Wednesday and was surprised to see the new restaurant painted with Falcon on it and was also panted the same as the old restaurant. I talked to the daughter briefly and she mentioned her uncle owned the restaurant but I also got a sense that she wasn’t very pleased but I might have read more into our conversation then was really there. It was a quick conversation. Are they competitors? The new restaurant was closed when I was there and I was told they were closed for the season.

BTW Saturday night when I was camping in the basin I talked to a young couple whose car was broken into at the Boquillas canyon parking lot. The guy told me that it was some white guys in a truck. When the guy saw what was happening he ran towards them but they got away. I’m pretty sure I heard him tell the ranger who was called in to investigate he got the license plate number on the truck so maybe the police will get involved.

Offline DuneYeti

• Roadrunner
« Reply #199 on: May 23, 2014, 11:36:20 AM »
"The less you want, the richer you are."

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #200 on: May 23, 2014, 12:21:21 PM »
I can see the tour buses already.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/25/travel/with-border-reopened-crossing-the-rio-grande-to-mexico.html

Nice article, and a great photo of Boquillas in front of the mountains.
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 50 years.
« Reply #201 on: May 23, 2014, 03:58:50 PM »
Here is a pano of the crossing. Clicking on the picture/link (and once again) will produce a noise and artifact filled full size pano, because I'm no photographer, I'm just a 'pitcher taker'.  :frustrated:

That's Victor sitting just about dead center staring dead on into the camera, the guy can find a lens can't he?  :icon_biggrin:.
Fort Worth

Offline Lebkuecher

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #202 on: May 23, 2014, 04:29:07 PM »
When I first arrived last week I decided to camp at Rio Grande campsite for a few nights, as some may recall it was pretty cold on Tuesday and very windy so I thought it would be a better then camping in the basin. When I camp at Rio Grande I like to walkup the nature trail and watch the sun set over the mountains. I think it was Wednesday but when I walked up the little hill there was a couple with a big camera taking pictures and the women told me that she was doing an article for the NYT. I intended to search for the article at a later date but I’m sure I would have forgotten to do so so thanks for posting the link DuneYeti. I had no idea the article would come out so soon.

Steve 

Offline Hoodoo

• Diamondback
« Reply #203 on: May 23, 2014, 09:13:13 PM »
Quote from: fartymarty link=topic=10391.msg132259#msg132259H date=1400878730
I'm no photographer, I'm just a 'pitcher taker'.  :frustrated:

Me too, but that pano is pretty cool.  :great:

Thanks Marty

Don
Don
Fort Worth

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #204 on: February 24, 2015, 01:32:44 PM »
Summer hours start just in time for Spring Break.

Boquillas Port of Entry Hours
The official Boquillas Port of Entry crossing, providing access to Boquillas, Coahuila, Mexico, as well as the protected areas of Maderas del Carmen, Ocampo, and Cañon de Santa Elena, will start summer hours of operation beginning March 4, 2015. The change in hours is to accommodate the later sunset times occurring this time of year.
Pedestrians will be able to access the port between 9 am and 6 pm Wednesday through Sunday. No vehicles will be allowed to cross and there will be no commercial importation of products. The Boquillas Port of Entry is staffed by National Park Service personnel who can assist travelers with information about visiting the area.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #205 on: February 24, 2015, 03:19:12 PM »
Speaking of spring break - when do the yankee colleges begin their spring flings?

I hope to be in the Bend beginning on March 7.  I hope to beat the crowds???????
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #206 on: February 24, 2015, 04:06:19 PM »
Speaking of spring break - when do the yankee colleges begin their spring flings?

I hope to be in the Bend beginning on March 7.  I hope to beat the crowds???????
I'm too lazy to look up the spring break data (much less the appropriate topic to split this discussion off to), but I believe that Spring Break for a lot of Texas schools will start on the 7th (at least my daughter's school district starts then), with the majority of Texas following a week later. You're doomed even if the Yankees aren't there yet.

Offline Hoodoo

• Diamondback
« Reply #207 on: February 24, 2015, 04:38:31 PM »

I'm too lazy to look up the spring break data (much less the appropriate topic to split this discussion off to), but I believe that Spring Break for a lot of Texas schools will start on the 7th (at least my daughter's school district starts then), with the majority of Texas following a week later. You're doomed even if the Yankees aren't there yet.

Yep, Texas Public Schools and College/Universities seem to be split this year. I know our local High School starts March 7th as Richard indicates, but UT, Texas State and others start March 14th.

Don't know about them Yanks.  :icon_lol:

Don
Don
Fort Worth

Online mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #208 on: February 24, 2015, 05:33:49 PM »
Here you go

or here

It's called G O O G L E
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!