Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Boquillas Crossing

• 208 Replies

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
Re: Boquillas Crossing
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 08:19:27 AM »
I'm in!

Good! You can start by breaking the wild burrows for saddle use!

Come on Chisos!
Indulge an old man a little, will ya?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 08:30:56 AM by Reece »

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 08:40:50 AM »
Alright, here's your retirement dream, ripe for the picking. Plenty of time to do the preliminaries.

Take your savings and move to Terlingua. Buy some rowboats. Four should be enough. Go out into Big Bend Ranch SP and lasso a dozen or so burrows or drive them into a shut-up. Saddle-break them for shuttle use. Rent a corral for boarding on the Mexico side. Set up a shade tarp on the US side with some coolers. Secure the concession for cold beer and tequila shots to help the timid work up their courage. Charge ~$20 a pop to ferry them across the rio and burro-walk the patrons up to Boquillas and back and you've got yourself a dream job come true.
Excellent idea, Reece! Watch out, someone will steal it from you and run with it!!

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 08:42:40 AM »
Alright, here's your retirement dream, ripe for the picking. Plenty of time to do the preliminaries.

Take your savings and move to Terlingua. Buy some rowboats. Four should be enough. Go out into Big Bend Ranch SP and lasso a dozen or so burrows or drive them into a shut-up. Saddle-break them for shuttle use. Rent a corral for boarding on the Mexico side. Set up a shade tarp on the US side with some coolers. Secure the concession for cold beer and tequila shots to help the timid work up their courage. Charge ~$20 a pop to ferry them across the rio and burro-walk the patrons up to Boquillas and back and you've got yourself a dream job come true.

Not quite a dream.....I've worked with the public for 30 years in various jobs and they're a HUGE pain in the ass!  :icon_wink:
Ditto, i had that experience , I KNOW!

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 08:50:38 AM »
OK. Now the clear-thinking ladies gang up. This is how good dang ideas get squashed. Ever watch the Honeymooners? I know, I know - before your time.

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 09:14:18 AM »
OK. Now the clear-thinking ladies gang up. This is how good dang ideas get squashed. Ever watch the Honeymooners? I know, I know - before your time.
The Honeymooners? I came to this country in 1975~!! "Clear-thinking", YES!! "Ganging up".....always!

Offline Sotolguy

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 09:44:41 AM »
Is there anything left in Boquillas to visit/purchase?

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 09:51:44 AM »
If we build it, they will come.

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 10:08:26 AM »

Only the "quilting ladies" and deserted buildings; there is a good "buy" on a B & B.
QS
what about the singer, Homero was mentioning at one point?? The one that was supposed to serenade to us?

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 10:15:01 AM »

Plenty!...Believe me:

Want to go here?....hire a tour guide from the folks in Boquillas.

Want to check out this mine...inside?. No problem:

Do you miss this place, they certainly do miss you:

Lots of 18 wheelers coming and going beefing up the place,smoothing out the dirt roads.

First round, is on me.....who does not want to be here, right now?....(dumb question),  :icon_lol:

Should I stop...or see you there?:

I believe, some one asked if this cooler was still running?...guess so:

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 10:22:46 AM »
Horses,Mules,rowboats...with lots of gathering dust, even the B&B is still there. Maybe by now, under new management. They still have the toilets inside of the rooms, for crying out loud..... :eusa_snooty:, :icon_lol:
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline Sotolguy

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 10:28:08 AM »
I have been there a number of times. The last in 98 with two of my sons and they enjoyed it and learned some valuable life lessons not afforded elsewhere. It was just an eye opening experience for them. We watched a heifer slaughtered right across from Don Falcon's and prepared for the towns New Year’s celebration. If the border is reopened the rebirth of Boquillas needs to be from within and grow slowly.  We should continue to be visitors and helping friends and not business a venture.   

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2011, 10:33:08 AM »
Homero, you are doinga great job; continue being their spokesman!
QS
Yes, Homero, this is great recorded History! And you can be there any time you can? right? Like the pic of you and your son ? This is YOUR territory! History is always playing tricks on us!! An yway, let me know WHEN and I will be there! And you will have to hook us up with horses!! QS and I will ride in......!

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2011, 10:34:43 AM »
I have been there a number of times. The last in 98 with two of my sons and they enjoyed it and learned some valuable life lessons not afforded elsewhere. It was just an eye opening experience for them. We watched a heifer slaughtered right across from Don Falcon's and prepared for the towns New Year’s celebration. If the border is reopened the rebirth of Boquillas needs to be from within and grow slowly.  We should continue to be visitors and helping friends and not business a venture.   
Well said! I envy you this experience!

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2011, 10:44:02 AM »
Shelley says you can use her horse

Would be marvelous!! What a splendid Pic!! What an experience!! Tell Shelley, i thank her.....muchos gracias

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2011, 11:57:15 AM »
We should continue to be visitors and helping friends and not business a venture.
You didn't take me seriously, I hope.
QS told me that there are people in this world so free of guile that they may fail to see the tongue sticking out of my cheek. I apologize if I misled anyone.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!