Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

get some pics tue morning

• 33 Replies

Offline Quatro

• Diamondback
Re: get some pics tue morning
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 12:39:54 PM »
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - HST

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 01:18:24 PM »
I kind of doubt the entrances at highways 118 and 385 will be closed. Perhaps just day use with no services?
I would be surprised if they don't close off the entrances. This is the NPS, after all, not the Forest Service.
Dang, I almost sound like Presidio...

More info:

http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/upload/NPS-Fact-Sheet.pdf
Hmmm, that says access to through roads will remain operational, but that all national parks will be closed and secured. They might leave 385/118 open, but I would doubt it, as it'd be too hard for them to "secure" the rest of the park if they're open.

Services and programs that will remain operational.
Law enforcement including the U.S. Park Police and emergency and disaster assistance.
Firefighting and monitoring.
Border and coastal protection and surveillance.
Limited management of ongoing projects that are funded from non-lapsing appropriations.
Access to through roads.

Services and programs that will be ceased.
All national parks will be closed and secured.
Visitor centers and other facilities will be closed.
Education programs and special events will be canceled.
Permits for special events will be rescinded.
Guests staying in hotels and campgrounds will be notified of the closure and given 48 hours to make
alternate arrangements and leave the park.

This is going to suck for all involved.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 04:11:37 PM »

Hmmm, that says access to through roads will remain operational, but that all national parks will be closed and secured. They might leave 385/118 open, but I would doubt it, as it'd be too hard for them to "secure" the rest of the park if they're open.

All they would have to do is put up 4-5  barricades to make it a through road

Dagger Flat rd.
Boquillas Rd.
Basin Rd.
RMSD
Maverick Rd.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 04:44:45 PM by RichardM »
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 04:48:22 PM »

Dagger Flat rd.
Boquillas Rd.
Basin Rd.
RMSD
Maverick Rd.
Plus Grapevine Hills, Croton Springs, Paint Gap, etc. I'm betting they just close off the park if the shutdown happens.

And for anyone thinking this might be a good opportunity for some "alone time" in the park, keep in mind the LE Rangers and Border Patrol will still be on duty with not much to do (or at least not nearly as much to do as usual). I wouldn't be surprised if they post rangers at each entrance.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:03:11 PM by RichardM »

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 50 years.
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 08:24:09 PM »

Dagger Flat rd.
Boquillas Rd.
Basin Rd.
RMSD
Maverick Rd.

Plus Grapevine Hills, Croton Springs, Paint Gap, etc. I'm betting they just close off the park if the shutdown happens.

And for anyone thinking this might be a good opportunity for some "alone time" in the park, keep in mind the LE Rangers and Border Patrol will still be on duty with not much to do (or at least not nearly as much to do as usual). I wouldn't be surprised if they post rangers at each entrance.

I think all those roads have easily closeable lockable gates already in place, I've never seen any at either entrance station. Although I'll admit that I don't recall  seeing one on RMSD. I'm thinking that the park can't close state designated through Hwys just because of funding problems (safety yes, money no). I'll bet they can ticket any parked vehicles along the road or trail head areas.
If I'm right, then make sure you have an air pump in your vehicle, so you can let the air out of a tire and claim disabled vehicle. "But officer we just happened to have our packs and water bottles with us, so we went hiking for help!"  :eusa_angel: "Oh look! It turns out we had an air pump after all. Boy do I feel silly, all that awful hiking for nothing."  :evil:

I think that any road that goes to a park employee residential area, or Forever Resort area, as well as the two main entrances, will remain open even if the park itself is closed. Even if there are no guests, Forever Resorts probably has some maintenance type things to be done that require access. I don't see them all stopping to unlock and re-lock the gate
That's my guess anyway, I'm too lazy to call the park to find out. I'm not sure the person answering the phone would know anyway. Some there are kinda clueless*, unless you ask them a question that they've answered a thousand times already.

(*Easy now, I did say some. I didn't say all, or even most, I said some.)  :eusa_naughty:

Dang, I almost sound like Presidio...
Yeah, that happens to all of us at one time or another. Fortunately, it doesn't last for more than a sentence or two.  :icon_lol:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:35:08 PM by fartymarty »
Fort Worth

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 09:39:15 AM »
Huh...

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/shutdown/index.html

Can't even be bothered to clarify which roads are through and which are closed...  :icon_rolleyes:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:51:58 AM by RichardM »
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

SHANEA

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 09:40:22 AM »
Friends of Big Bend on Face Plant report that ALL entrances to the park will be closed.  Making for a long drive around.

Enjoy yesterdays Morning Report for a while, as it is all there will be for a while.

The www.nps.gov/bibe already redirects to a shut down page.

SHANEA

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
Just leave $10 on a rock at the trailhead!  :D

That won't go to far to get you out of jail on bail for a Federal Offense...   :icon_lol:

SHANEA

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
So we can't go into the park at all if it shuts down?

Closed for business.   

SHANEA

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 09:51:39 AM »
Closed at Park Boundaries...

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 09:53:10 AM »
Oh, no, they shut down the government!  :willynilly:

Offline DuneYeti

• Roadrunner
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 10:14:23 AM »
ABC News:  THIS: Washington's paralysis will be felt early on in distant lands as well as in the capital namely, at national parks. All park services will close. Campers have 48 hours to leave their sites. Many parks, such as Yellowstone, will close to traffic, and some will become completely inaccessible.  :icon_cry:
"The less you want, the richer you are."

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 10:53:46 AM »
Huh...

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/shutdown/index.html

Can't even be bothered to clarify which roads are through and which are closed...  :icon_rolleyes:

Even better, they shut down the entire website system. :icon_rolleyes:
Because of the federal government shutdown, all national parks are closed and National Park Service webpages are not operating. For more information, go to www.doi.gov.

Yes, Shane, I saw your screenshot attachment, but sometimes words work better than pictures.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:59:18 AM by RichardM »

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 11:07:22 AM »

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 11:15:27 AM »
I just talked with someone at the park and can confirm that all entrances are blocked and rangers are stationed at the road blocks.  Also once the budget is resolved, it will take about 24 hours to get everything up and running again.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!