Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Glacier National park is not closing this year!

• 13 Replies

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
Glacier National park is not closing this year!
« on: January 09, 2020, 09:16:46 AM »
Looks like we all have been giving another 10 years to make the trip up to Glacier NP.  Seems the computer models were wrong.  Apparently, the "larger than average snowfall over several winters slowed down that retreat rate and the 2020 date used in the NPS display does not apply anymore".   Maybe they can cover up the dates with duct tape and write the new expected total melt date on that.  This way they won't have to scrap the entire display in the junk pile.  :willynilly: 

https://dailycaller.com/2020/01/08/glacier-national-park-signs-climate-change/
If other countries on the planet want to see America suffer and ultimately destroyed, who are they cheering for right now?  Trump, or the leftist democrats and their media supported hate machine?

Seek out the facts for yourself.  Begin by using Startpage.com,  not google.

May God Bless America!

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: Glacier National park is not closing this year!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 11:09:27 AM »
Back in 2009 or so, we saw at Mammoth Cave National Park a 70's era sign on an overlook pointing out the problems of acid rain.  Seemed ironic to me, since the trees looked terribly healthy at the time.  Its a challenge I suppose to craft interpretive signs that are relevant yet more or less timeless.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 11:22:14 AM »

Its a challenge I suppose to craft interpretive signs that are relevant yet more or less timeless.

Or they can be more accurate with their science and save the hysteria for the hysterical. 

Back in 1979, I remember being told by an in-school science magazine in the fourth grade, Current Science,  that said we were all going to freeze to death by 2000 due to the coming of the next ice age.  Consequently, I learned "science" is filled with interpretation of data and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Sent from my pocket machine using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 11:58:29 AM »
I recently saw an interview with one of the "quiet" climatologists and he noted the plant life liked, even needed, CO2 for their existence. He and other scientists expected plant life to do better with higher CO2 levels. He noted that the most impactful greenhouse gas was water vapor. He also validated something that I noticed long ago - When they show a graph of the CO2 spike they scale is "zoomed in" so that it looks like a huge spike. The actual percent change is tiny and when looked at in the big picture it tracks very closely to prior millenia. When the sun cycles through low and high sunspot times that affects overall temperature. We are at the end (slightly longer than what was predicted) of Solar cycle 24 (at minimum) on the way to solar cycle 25. Solar cycle 26's minimum is expected to be a very low cycle. Not as low as what caused the Maunder minimum (think little ice age where rivers in Europe froze over) but low enough for us to notice.

I'm all for not crapping in our nest. I think clean water, clean air, etc are all top level priorities. What I'm not all for is money grubbing liars promoting agendas that serve only themselves.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 12:24:40 PM »
I recently saw an interview with one of the "quiet" climatologists and he noted the plant life liked, even needed, CO2 for their existence. He and other scientists expected plant life to do better with higher CO2 levels. He noted that the most impactful greenhouse gas was water vapor. He also validated something that I noticed long ago - When they show a graph of the CO2 spike they scale is "zoomed in" so that it looks like a huge spike. The actual percent change is tiny and when looked at in the big picture it tracks very closely to prior millenia. When the sun cycles through low and high sunspot times that affects overall temperature. We are at the end (slightly longer than what was predicted) of Solar cycle 24 (at minimum) on the way to solar cycle 25. Solar cycle 26's minimum is expected to be a very low cycle. Not as low as what caused the Maunder minimum (think little ice age where rivers in Europe froze over) but low enough for us to notice.

I'm all for not crapping in our nest. I think clean water, clean air, etc are all top level priorities. What I'm not all for is money grubbing liars promoting agendas that serve only themselves.
Absolutely.

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 02:42:36 PM »
You guys keep telling yourselves that it is all hysterics  and made up, or even if not, at least man doesn't have anything to do with it.  Sun spots, natural cycles,  or "radical scientists with hidden agendas".  That way, you don't have to be inconvenienced or actually do something about it.  Meanwhile, the planet is flooding and  burning and the worst is yet to come.  But, hey, that's our (grand)kids' problem.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 03:53:28 PM »
You guys keep telling yourselves that it is all hysterics  and made up, or even if not, at least man doesn't have anything to do with it.  Sun spots, natural cycles,  or "radical scientists with hidden agendas".  That way, you don't have to be inconvenienced or actually do something about it.  Meanwhile, the planet is flooding and  burning and the worst is yet to come.  But, hey, that's our (grand)kids' problem.
Absolutely!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Big Bend Chat mobile app

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 04:11:00 PM »
all hysterics  and made up, or even if not, at least man doesn't have anything to do with it.

I never said any of that and I don't see anything that counters what I wrote. But I'll add a little more:

Man made C02 - does it contribute to an increase in CO2. Of course it does. So does wiping out the trees in the rain forest. I would never say that man doesn't do stupid things (see China for large scale examples).

You can't escape the simple truth that plants need CO2 and they thrive because of it. There is no free energy. What do you think the environmental cost of wind farms and electric cars is? What does extracting energy from the wind do to the climate. What does a battery cost in environmental terms. You won't know the answer because the people that make and sell electric cars don't want you to think about that. Do you know the difference in energy density between a battery and hydrocarbon fuel is? Probably not. Do you realize that hydrocarbons (oil and gas) are comprised of hydrogen and carbon? Probably not. Do you realize that the wind and its energy has is an important roll to play in climatology. Are you saying that the sun doesn't have a direct bearing on the climate? You're wrong if you are.

In about 15 years we'll be at the low end of solar cycle and we'll know what happens when the sun's energy drops if the predictions are true.

Your assertions are about as one sided as those of the person that thinks that man made CO2 doesn't affect the atmospheric quantity of CO2.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 05:13:25 PM »
all hysterics  and made up, or even if not, at least man doesn't have anything to do with it.

I never said any of that and I don't see anything that counters what I wrote. But I'll add a little more:

Man made C02 - does it contribute to an increase in CO2. Of course it does. So does wiping out the trees in the rain forest. I would never say that man doesn't do stupid things (see China for large scale examples).

You can't escape the simple truth that plants need CO2 and they thrive because of it. There is no free energy. What do you think the environmental cost of wind farms and electric cars is? What does extracting energy from the wind do to the climate. What does a battery cost in environmental terms. You won't know the answer because the people that make and sell electric cars don't want you to think about that. Do you know the difference in energy density between a battery and hydrocarbon fuel is? Probably not. Do you realize that hydrocarbons (oil and gas) are comprised of hydrogen and carbon? Probably not. Do you realize that the wind and its energy has is an important roll to play in climatology. Are you saying that the sun doesn't have a direct bearing on the climate? You're wrong if you are.

In about 15 years we'll be at the low end of solar cycle and we'll know what happens when the sun's energy drops if the predictions are true.

Your assertions are about as one sided as those of the person that thinks that man made CO2 doesn't affect the atmospheric quantity of CO2.

Well said!
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 05:35:01 PM »
Original Topic:  Park information signs that are sprinkled with social change statements, specifically the ones that are no longer accurate? :eusa_whistle:

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 05:37:04 PM »
Original Topic:  Park information signs that are sprinkled with social change statements, specifically the ones that are no longer accurate? :eusa_whistle:

:eusa_clap: :icon_lol:

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 05:48:28 PM »

What he said.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 05:49:40 PM »
Yup. Richard would have shut us up already.

Offline Lissa

• Coyote
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 10:31:18 PM »
The data is pretty conclusive that the current changes are not from the variety of things (like solar cycles) that have an impact and that the anthropogenic signal is now unmistakable.  Think NOAA put out a good graphic to demonstrate this.

Hace CO2 levels been radically higher in the past? Yes. Has life survived mass extinctions? Yes Will earth continue on apace just fine? Yes.

Will it be a planet that human civilization in its current configuration survives on easily? Thatís the question.  Humans donít do that well with rapid change, and we are rapidly altering our environment. Earth and life will make it through, the question is if we do.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!