Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Hiker Dies After Four Days Without Water

• 39 Replies

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2006, 05:19:24 PM »
Quote from: "Hayduke"
The KHOU article

I am left with a nagging feeling there is something to this story that isn't being revealed...and that this wasn't an unfortunate turn of events.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

SHANEA

Unless
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2006, 06:10:09 PM »
Unless he was in the habit of leaving notes to everyone before he ventured off into the wilderness, I think this speaks volumes....

Most people don't get to say goodbye before they die, but Springer did. He left an individual note for every member of his immediate family, from his wife and two children, his four grandchildren and even his son-in-law.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Unless
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2006, 06:15:53 PM »
Most people don't get to say goodbye before they die, but Springer did. He left an individual note for every member of his immediate family, from his wife and two children, his four grandchildren and even his son-in-law.

He would have to have done this before dehydration advanced very far. He would not have had presence of mind to do it later.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

SHANEA

OK.
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2006, 06:32:56 PM »
"He had a little notebook out there that he wrote in," the Rev. Stephen Springer said. "He admitted and said this is my fault. He didn't wantus to blame ourselves or the park service."

Ok, I "disconnected" this from leaving the notes behind to others - thinking, probably in error, that he left the notes behind before he went off on this trek.

Offline TexasGirl

• Black Bear
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2006, 08:59:32 AM »
No, Presidio, there wasn't any more than that. Obviously my local news picked up the KHOU story.  There's obviously a lot we don't know and may never:  how much water did he take?  why was he off the trail (wasn't he off the trail?)?  no compass to get back to the trail?  no map?  unable to walk--why?  The curiosity may kill _us_.  I can imagine, having found myself in a serious pickle, sitting down and writing a note to my son while I could.  Soldiers do it all the time.

Trying to put myself in the family's collective shoes.... I just can't imagine doing the publicity if there were some idea in my mind that this was other than 'accident'.  They're Methodists, for goodness sake!  :)
As a matter of fact, I _do_ have an opinion on that....

SHANEA

Don't Know
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2006, 06:20:59 PM »
Don't know if this differs much from the other reports.

Hiker dies after four days without water
BBNP - Rangers began a search for 71-year-old Carl Springer of Conroe, Texas, on the afternoon of Sunday, Oct. 22, when a routine check of solo hiker forms revealed that he was 24 hours overdue from a four-day hike. His vehicle was quickly located and it was determined that he had not checked out of his motel room.

The park's ranger/pilot began an aerial reconnaissance of Springer's proposed route - the Outer Mountain Loop Trail, an arduous mountain and desert hike around the southern half of the Chisos Mountains.

On Monday morning, ground teams began a search of the entire 28-mile route with the assistance of the park aircraft and a Customs and Border Protection OH-6 helicopter. Springer was spotted from the airplane around 3:30 p.m. The CBP helicopter ferried a SAR team member to his location, which was in a rugged drainage over a mile from the trail.

Springer was alert and oriented but too weak to stand. He said that he'd run out of water four days before being found. Attempts were made to re-hydrate Springer and move him to the helicopter, but his condition deteriorated. A park medic was flown to the scene and IV therapy was begun. Other searchers climbed to his location and helped move him to the small, two-seat helicopter.

Springer was flown to the helipad at Panther Junction, then transferred to the park's ambulance. Care was provided by park medics and a physician, who was in the park to instruct an EMT-I refresher course. Despite their efforts, Springer was pronounced dead while en route to a rendezvous with a life flight helicopter.

BigBendHiker

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2006, 06:28:45 PM »
Since he was off the trail, but in a drainage, I wonder if he was looking for water?

BBH

SHANEA

Reconstructing.
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2006, 06:47:36 PM »
The article said he was overdue from a 4 day hike.    Here is the timeline that I have come up with.  I worked backwards from the day he was discovered and treated that as the 4th day w/o water.   24 Hours overdue from a 4 day hike.  How does my timeline fit?

Wed Oct 18th - day 1 of hike

Thr Oct 19th - day 2 of hike

Fri Oct 20th - day 3 of hike out of water-1

Sat Oct 21st - day 4 of hike out of water-2

Sun Oct 22nd - day 5 of hike out of water-3 - discovered to be 24 hours overdue.  Meaning, he should have checked in on Saturday Oct 21st.

Mon Oct 23rd - day 6 of hike out of water-4. Was discovered and said he had been out of water for 4 days.  That takes us back to Friday Oct 20th when he ran out of water.

It's not morbid curosisity mind you, just trying to learn what went so wrong so I/We/You can avoid the same mistake.  It's like when the NTSB investigates a plane crash - what caused it to fall out of the sky.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2006, 06:47:41 PM »
If he still had his pack on or with him I don't understand why he hadn't dropped it and gone for water.  If he wrote notes I'm assuming he was still at his pack.

Al

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2006, 07:50:54 PM »
I don't think this adds up either.  According to Windchime he was closer to the Juniper Trailhead so (assuming he came down Juniper) how could he have made so few miles in so many days?   Maybe he went down Blue Creek and was planning to go up Juniper?  That means he should have watered up at Fresno Creek ~3-5 miles from where he was found.   As an experienced backpacker with many trips to the Bend he would have known how much water to carry and where to find it.   My guess is he had a stroke, heart attack, knee problems, or something else that kept him from moving very far.   But I would like to know more facts if anyone can post them.  I do a lot of solo backpacking myself so maybe I can learn what to watch out for and plan a course of action if the same thing happens to me... TWWG

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!