Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Lost Mine Trail Closed

• 3 Replies

Offline Jim

• BBNHA Volunteer
  • Black Bear
  • Visiting BBNP since 1975
Lost Mine Trail Closed
« on: October 12, 2018, 03:27:07 PM »
The Lost Mine trail has been closed.

Temporary Closure of the Lost Mine Trail
BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX – Big Bend National Park is temporarily closing the popular Lost Mine Trail area due to increased bear activity.

The closure will begin the evening of October 12, and continue until further notice.

The closure includes the trail, trailhead, parking area, and north facing slope of Casa Grande Peak. Alternative areas for hiking and camping in the Chisos Mountains and throughout the park remain open to the public for normal use.
The Chisos Mountain range is home to a healthy black bear population, and this year’s rains have resulted in abundant pine and oak nut production. Bears must feed heavily during the fall months and depend upon these vital food sources to prepare for their winter denning period.

According to Superintendent Bob Krumenaker, "During this period of heightened bear activity, we want to ensure the safety of both park visitors and the bears. This is a wildlife sanctuary, so we'll give bears the space they need until they're finished feeding in this area. We appreciate the understanding and cooperation of park visitors, despite the inconvenience"

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Lost Mine Trail Closed
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 03:29:31 PM »
Jim, you beat me to the punch by a few seconds. There have been several Facebook postings of bears at the Lost Mine trailhead parking area recently, so I'm not surprised.

P.S. It'd be nice if the NPS were to put this under the Alerts on their webpage instead of under news releases.
https://www.nps.gov/bibe/learn/news/newsreleases.htm

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 04:04:44 PM »
Quote from: RichardM

P.S. It'd be nice if the NPS were to put this under the Alerts on their webpage instead of under news releases.

Amen, Richard!

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Online presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 05:35:20 PM »
JP.S. It'd be nice if the NPS were to put this under the Alerts on their webpage instead of under news releases.

It's always more important to the NPS to create restrictions than to make them easily locatable when viewing the website.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!