Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

New Superintendent Named

• 23 Replies

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Re: New Superintendent Named
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 06:43:06 PM »
I don't anticipate him coming here to participate directly, but he has read this thread and found it "interesting."

Encourage him to assign someone to have an official presence here to respond to issues & questions.

After all, it's just public outreach they are supposed to be doing and no different from answering individual emails to the park, or telephonic queries.

They'd reach a lot more folks with a lot less effort and perhaps eliminate the grief they bring on themselves with their stand-off attitude to date.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 06:56:32 PM »
I don't anticipate him coming here to participate directly, but he has read this thread and found it "interesting."

Encourage him to assign someone to have an official presence here to respond to issues & questions.

After all, it's just public outreach they are supposed to be doing and no different from answering individual emails to the park, or telephonic queries.

They'd reach a lot more folks with a lot less effort and perhaps eliminate the grief they bring on themselves with their stand-off attitude to date.
Agreed. Already done.  I'll keep at it too.

Sent from my Note 8 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 10:05:14 PM »
I just want everyone here to know, after having some very good dialogue with the new Super, I am very excited to welcome him to the park. 

He seems to be a genuine stand-up guy and I look forward to getting to know him better when he begins his work.  I really like him and I think you all will too.

Here's to the new Sup! 

This is outstanding.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 05:50:32 AM »
Great news, keep up the good work and let's hope for some progress.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Hookim

• Coyote
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 08:10:50 PM »

I'm appreciative to see this topic. I try to always be polite and conversational with staff without taking too much of their time and while also leaving the park better than I found it. Yet I seem to consistently be met with a haughty attitude from most of the rangers. It gets old. Friends have had similar experiences. I'm hopeful from your posts about the new superintendent that will change with a trickle down effect. I'm just a girl standing in front of a mountain asking it to love her.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 08:45:24 PM »
Love that, Hookim.

Offline Hookim

• Coyote
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 09:36:28 PM »
Love that, Hookim.

😉, CG!

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 09:58:30 PM »
I seem to consistently be met with a haughty attitude from most of the rangers. It gets old. Friends have had similar experiences.

You are far from alone in your experience.

The NPS treats tourists like dolts incapable of functioning on their own, who must be watched closely. Sadly, that does describes a huge percentage of folks going to parks (the usual clientele).

It is exacerbated by an attitude of superiority and cockiness, combined with a false (but real to them) proprietary sense of ownership.

Tourists are treated as if they are interlopers in the employees' paradise, and only to be tolerated as the price of their good fortune to work in such places.

While not everyone wearing a funny hat expresses such disdain, it occurs often enough to show that rather than being an occasional outlier of bad behavior, it is a systemic problem within the agency.

Read through the forums and you will find ample examples of such behavior.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline Hookim

• Coyote
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 10:07:16 PM »
I seem to consistently be met with a haughty attitude from most of the rangers. It gets old. Friends have had similar experiences.

You are far from alone in your experience.

The NPS treats tourists like dolts incapable of functioning on their own, who must be watched closely. Sadly, that does describes a huge percentage of folks going to parks (the usual clientele).

It is exacerbated by an attitude of superiority and cockiness, combined with a false (but real to them) proprietary sense of ownership.

Tourists are treated as if they are interlopers in the employees' paradise, and only to be tolerated as the price of their good fortune to work in such places.

While not everyone wearing a funny hat expresses such disdain, it occurs often enough to show that rather than being an occasional outlier of bad behavior, it is a systemic problem within the agency.

Read through the forums and you will find ample examples of such behavior.
Thanks for the solidarity, Presidio. I felt like I was teetering out on a limb by blatantly broaching it.  I concur with everything you mentioned. I try to stand in their shoes and understand that it probably becomes tiresome being on repeat day in and out. BUT, one, they signed up for that, and two, their lives cannot be that bad living and working in such an amazing place. They need to realize that they are impacting every single person that comes there, so far out of the way, on their hard-earned vacations and that they truly do stand out as part of the experience, heretofore not a shining part. They are the part of the wheel that's out-of-balance.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!