Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Patterson welcomes return of Second Amendment rights to some National Parks

• 66 Replies

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
PRESS RELEASE

Proposed rules change would respect state carry laws in all national parks and refuges

AUSTIN - Jerry Patterson, Commissioner of the Texas General Land Office, today praised proposed rules changes by Secretary of Interior Dirk Kempthorne that would respect state laws regarding the carrying of concealed firearms in federal parks. The rules are now subject to public comment before adoption.

"Texans who can lawfully carry a firearm in state parks can now carry in federal parks, including Big Bend National Park," Patterson said.

Patterson said the ban on carrying concealed firearms in national parks was unconstitutional and never should have been inflicted on Americans these past 25 years.

"Federal bureaucrats simply shouldn’t be allowed to override the Constitution with administrative rules," Patterson said.

"The anti Bill of Rights crowd will say this is unnecessary and dangerous. Americans who live in concealed carry states have heard this before," said Patterson, author of the Texas Concealed Handguns Law.

"They said 'blood would run in the streets,' but that didn't happen and it won't happen in national parks," Patterson said. "The Bill of Rights enumerates a right to 'keep and bear arms.'  I should not be required to forgo my Second Amendment, or for that matter my First, Fourth or Fifth Amendment rights just because I happen to be in a park."

"When I'm in a state or national park, I'm armed," Patterson said. "An unconstitutional rule promulgated by a federal bureaucracy is not sufficient to deny me that right."

Patterson urged Texans who care about gun rights to comment on the proposed federal rules change, available in the Federal Register and on www.doi.gov.

Once the public comment period has closed, all comments received will be evaluated and incorporated into the decision making process on a final rule. The number and substance of the comments received will determine the timeline for the final decision.

:eusa_clap:  :eusa_dance:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 07:15:29 PM by Casa Grande »

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline russco

• Black Bear
  • Canyon Addict
For he's a jolly good fellow
Which somebody might deny!

But not me! I'm beginning to really like this Patterson Guy!
Really beginning to see his side. (hope not to discuss this in the politics section) :pissed: :eusa_doh:
Carved upon my stone: my body lie but still I ROAM

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
PRESS RELEASE

Proposed rules change would respect state carry laws in all national parks and refuges

Dang, good news for a change. This will potentially make the parks even less crowded since the people who have been taught by liberals and the media that guns are bad and are to be feared without facts and logic getting in the way will now just stay home since it will be SOOOO much more dangerous for them.  :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

What will the sheep find to protest when all their dire predictions of poaching and gunslinging fail to come true (as has been the case in every state with concealed carry)?

Remember to make sure you have matching begin and end quote boxes when you snip part of a quote....

That must mean I missed one.  :eusa_doh: :eusa_think:
I hate it when that happens.  :willynilly:

I fixed your goofed-up "rolling" emoticons, too.  The colons had disappeared.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 11:04:31 PM by RichardM »
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Here's the DOI press release:
http://www.doi.gov/news/08_News_Releases/080430.html

Yep. Already submitted my comments in support of this positive change.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Here's the DOI press release:
http://www.doi.gov/news/08_News_Releases/080430.html

Yep. Already submitted my comments in support of this positive change.

Me as well
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
I will third that :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance:
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

Offline uh_clem

• Texas Banded Gecko
  • Black Bear
Sounds like another election year promise to me.
I wonder how the park rangers feel about it? I have a feeling they won't be thrilled.
I'll be the jump start for the car parked in your mind, 'Cause you left the lights on all night long.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
I wonder how the park rangers feel about it? I have a feeling they won't be thrilled.

Of course they won't be thrilled and a lot of them probably will lobby against it. Their retiree group is soiling their undies over this.

The agency and the employees and the retirees and their slavish supporters will advance all the tired and never-proved arguments that all kinds of lawlessness will be unleashed, that they and the sheep will be at risk of injury or worse and that we all should accept their existing 'reasonable rules' about this.

Too bad for them. They need to concentrate on violent park crimes like dogs off leash and flower-picking, not people who lawfully carry firearms. Unfortunately, it's only concealed carry permittees who will get the pass as it is written. On BLM and USFS anyone not prohibited (meaning felons) from possession can carry a firearm at their discretion. Oh well, small first steps in the right direction are better than allowing the NPS to continue to violate civil rights 100% of the time on this issue.

The Brady Campaign Against the Constitution likewise is feeling poorly that their brand of blather is increasingly rejected by citizens.

Offline LandCruisers4Life

• Black Bear
Patterson said the ban on carrying concealed firearms in national parks was unconstitutional and never should have been inflicted on Americans these past 25 years.

Like I said earlier, the law was wrong. Unconstitutional, and it's about time someone did something about it.

As well, Texas Law states that anyone travelling more than two counties from their place of residence, it allowed to carry a firearm in their vehicle.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 01:58:12 PM by LandCruisers4Life »

Offline LandCruisers4Life

• Black Bear
Personally, I think we should go to Arizona ways. You can carry a side arm on the street openly, no permit required.

I can remember quite vividly on a motorcycle vacation when in Arizona, meeting a group of guys called the "Lost Dutchmen" motorcycle club. I saw them all with double guns strapped to each thigh, it was the coolest thing I had seen.... all these guys riding their Iron Horses down the road and side arms strapped to their thighs.... like a modern day cowboy. I asked them about it, and the only place they can't carry is in a bar.

Offline uh_clem

• Texas Banded Gecko
  • Black Bear

Of course they won't be thrilled and a lot of them probably will lobby against it.

Then there's still a chance sanity will prevail.
I'll be the jump start for the car parked in your mind, 'Cause you left the lights on all night long.

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
I saw them all with double guns strapped to each thigh, it was the coolest thing I had seen.... all these guys riding their Iron Horses down the road and side arms strapped to their thighs.... like a modern day cowboy.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Personally, I think we should go to Arizona ways. You can carry a side arm on the street openly, no permit required.

NM is the same. NM law does not expressly allow openly wearing a firearm, but the law only addresses unlawful 'concealed' carry, thus wearing a handgun in a belt holster is permissible.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!