Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Road closure

• 24 Replies

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Road closure
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 11:48:11 PM »
I just hope they're not paving it. :icon_frown:

Probably not, since the work is not starting at the main paved road.

But, you never know. They could start in the middle and go to either end.

Paving would allow the needy masses a new place to be entertained as they follow the numbered stops in their guidebooks.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 07:50:29 AM »
Maybe they are fixing the bump right past the Pine Canyon turn off.
Maybe they are finally removing the shiny metal research monstrosity out in front of Rice Tank.
Maybe they are finally fixing the Juniper Canyon road past the Robber's Roost house turn off.
Maybe they are finally putting in a few more campsites in front of Chilicotal.
Maybe Monkeys will fly out...............

Good roads bring bad people, Bad roads bring Good

One thing for sure, they still haven't been able to find any money to spend on an improved permit system.  Something that is a known hazard, and affects the entire park.   :great:
The Tolerant Left  Masters of the Universe at Apple, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, Criteo, Vimeo and Spotify removed Alex Jones and other conservative voices.  Liberals control every newspaper and cable network except Fox.

Google    "The Good Censor"

May God bless America

Offline GaryF

• Coyote
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 10:25:49 AM »
Not really related to current discussion, but I didn’t want to start another road closure thread. From the park Facebook page:

“Update on road closure, as of 8 AM on August 12
Continued heavy rain has closed the following until further notice: Boquillas Canyon Rd, Boquillas Port of Entry, Old Maverick Rd, Santa Elena Canyon Rd from Castolon.  Wet, muddy conditions exist on all dirt roads with many inaccessible. “

Santa Elena closures are fairly common, but I cannot remember Boquillas road being closed before.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 10:42:19 AM »
Not really related to current discussion, but I didn’t want to start another road closure thread. From the park Facebook page:

Continued heavy rain has closed the following until further notice: Boquillas Canyon Rd, Boquillas Port of Entry, Old Maverick Rd, Santa Elena Canyon Rd from Castolon.  Wet, muddy conditions exist on all dirt roads with many inaccessible. “

Santa Elena closures are fairly common, but I cannot remember Boquillas road being closed before.

Probably because the RGV area is getting a deluge - 2.85"  in in the past 24 hours
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 10:44:08 AM »

They should just close the entire park and be done with it.

This park has more pop-up closures for myriad reasons than anyplace I've ever seen.

Since the dirt roads have wet, muddy and inaccessible conditions, why haven't they closed those as well?

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 10:47:59 AM »
I kind of like the "continued heavy rain" part  :icon_smile:  The roads will eventually open.

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 10:50:26 AM »
I just saw a photo from yesterday on the Friends of Big Bend faceplace page. Tornillo creek was running full bank to bank.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 11:10:58 AM »
I just saw a photo from yesterday on the Friends of Big Bend faceplace page. Tornillo creek was running full bank to bank.

One of the many reasons to go there in the dead of summer. You get to see things few ever do, especially those not acquainted with deserts. "Why is there such a big bridge over that dry gully?"

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 11:17:27 AM »

One of the many reasons to go there in the dead of summer. You get to see things few ever do, especially those not acquainted with deserts. "Why is there such a big bridge over that dry gully?"

Summer is normally the only time I go. I went in May this year and it was a bit too crowded for my taste. July had a few day trippers but was reasonably empty. I had one guy in a Lexus (whatever they call the used to be Land Cruiser) start following me onto Black Gap road but he (she? gender neutral?) came to the steep hill going down into the creek crossing before the cemetery and bailed. In other words, never really got started. I may be out there for one day on Friday. Depends on work, etc.

Offline Talusman

• Black Bear
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 08:12:08 AM »

Exactly, August is a great time. I am about 7 trips reports behind and will be out there both the next two weekends. Hope to put something up before too long. Hopefully the rain keeps coming, as we have been getting a good amount all through West Texas this last week.
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!