Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

The 2018 Superintendents Compendium is out

• 51 Replies

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
The 2018 Superintendents Compendium is out
« on: March 26, 2018, 04:20:59 PM »
2018 Superintendents Compendium

Without the old one to compare to it looks more streamlined but I don't really note any big changes.  The requirement for a hard sided bear canister vs. a soft one like the Ursack All white 29 is not clear and in my reading of it it would be accepted because it is OK by the IGBC and they only say "a container that will prevent bears or other wildlife from acquiring the items" but then again they only mention the IGBC list on the park website and not in the compendium.

Time for a presidio comparison chart.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Jim

• Black Bear
  • Visiting BBNP since 1975
Re: The 2018 Superintendents Compendium is out
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 04:39:29 PM »
This PDF will have to be OCR'ed to be automatically compared.  Its pages are images, not text.  :(

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 05:24:41 PM »
This PDF will have to be OCR'ed to be automatically compared.  Its pages are images, not text.  :(
I think they do that just to piss us off (or maybe just me).

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 05:40:48 PM »

They live in some previous technological time frame. AND WHERE IS THE DAILY REPORT!!!
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Jim

• Black Bear
  • Visiting BBNP since 1975
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 05:51:35 PM »

They live in some previous technological time frame. AND WHERE IS THE DAILY REPORT!!!

And the Ranger talks schedule!

Here's a quick and dirty OCR (no pretty formatting) of the 2018 compendium up to the appendix pages that had embedded images.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 06:00:05 PM »

I am working on extracting the text via Adobe Acrobat, but it is slow going.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 07:20:48 PM »

After all, it's REALLY hard to publish it as a readable PDF.

I'd call it digital incompetence, but is more likely they JUST DON'T CARE.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 07:22:27 PM »
2018 Superintendents Compendium

Time for a presidio comparison chart.

I will be doing that, AFTER I make the PDF readable, since the NPS just can't seem to do it.

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 08:08:28 PM »
It is signed by Acting Super. Etheridge. There's been a bunch of chief rangers with 'E' names:  Elkowitz and Etheridge. I recall there was a big sendoff in 2016 when Etheridge took a regional position in Arizona.  So now he is Acting Super. until Cindy Ott-Jones's replacement is named after retiring last year...  :eusa_think:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 08:54:13 PM by Flash »

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 09:13:31 PM »
Why is this thread making me so sad?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 09:27:24 PM »

Yeah, perhaps because we are trying to find out what new restrictions will be placed upon us or because the NPS doesn't simply publish a What's New summary so we don't have to dig into it? Or why we bother to put chains on ourselves before they are announced and enforced? Don't worry, be happy.  8)

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 09:28:40 PM »

Don't worry, be happy.  8)

Done

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 10:40:05 PM »
Thanks for posting the heads-up, ME. And thanks for doing the heavy lifting, guys. Looking forward (or maybe not) to your results.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Peter O

• Golden Eagle
  • Jack Rabbit
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 10:47:42 PM »
There is a new provision in the 2018 Compendium regarding Backcountry Camping that was not in the 2017 version.  It has me a bit worried, although I hope my concerns are misplaced.

By way of background, Jonathan Sadow reported on a statement by a ranger about bear canisters during a program he attended at the park last May, Big Bend National Park trip, April 24 to May 1, 2017: "The ranger cannily brought the materials for her talk in her bear canister, a BearVault BV-500, talked about its use, and then mentioned that sooner or later the use of bear canisters would be required in BIBE.”  Johnathan's information generated lots of comments, consternation, and general head-scratching.

When I was obtaining the permit for my hike this past December, the ranger who was assisting me asked if I had a bear canister.  I told him that I did but that I would rather not carry the extra weight unless it was required.  He said it was not yet required but that “we will be pushing hard” for it in the next few months.  I have been hoping that the new compendium would not impose such a requirement.  After taking a quick look at it, I'm not sure whether it does or not. 

In the 2018 Compendium, section (d) of the "Backcountry Camping" rules (pgs. 9-10) starts the same as the old version.  It seems to suggest that a bear-resistant container is needed only "when the items are not ... closely attended and within the immediate reach of the owner day or night."  This sounds just like the existing policy, which did not require a backcountry backpacker to carry a bear-resistant container as long as you keep your food (etc.) within arms reach at all times.

But there is also a new paragraph that was added:

"Commercially available bear resistant container designed for this purpose must be utilized by backpackers where bear lockers are not provided in backcountry sites. The permittee must show the permit writer that they have canister(s) in their possession before a permit is issued."

(I added the emphasis.)

Does this mean that ALL backcountry backpackers must display a canister to obtain a permit or that only those backpackers who will not keep their food with them at all times must do so?  Or does it mean something else? 

As Mule Ears noted, the information on the BIBE website about Backcountry Food Storage has not been updated (since Dec. 2015), so maybe there will be some clarification at some point.  If there is a new bear-resistant container policy, I hope Mule Ears is correct that they will allow IGBC-approved Ursack bags, which are about two pounds lighter than the hard-sided canisters.  I guess time will tell.

At the end of the day, I agree with what Dprather said in More on Bear Canisters: “We intend to do what is expected of us and to carry a canister if that is the way it is.”  But I still hope that's not the way it is.

(I had intended to attached an OCR version of the 2018 Compendium that I created in Adobe Acrobat, but it got rejected since the file is too big (3.5 mb).  I will try to think of another way to make it available.)

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 01:49:05 AM »
I am working on extracting the text via Adobe Acrobat, but it is slow going.

Try this. I have run the thing through Acrobat OCR.

I have deleted the image pages relating to public assembly and printed material distribution as irrelevant to the discussion and to keep the attachment under the 1500kb limit.

While the document now is fully searchable, if you try copying to a word processor document you will find the result less than perfect (I've never been able to understand why Adobe does this).

The comparison with the prior compendium will take a bit longer.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!