Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

The 2018 Superintendents Compendium is out

• 51 Replies

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
Re: The 2018 Superintendents Compendium is out
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2018, 09:14:05 PM »
I'm planning an overnight backpacking trip for my family. This will involve zone camping. After reading the compendium, I think I understand the rule to mean that you either keep your smelly-type items (food, toothpaste, wipes, and even water  :icon_rolleyes:) on you at all times, or you put it into a bear-proof container.

Our plan may involve making a base camp somewhere, and then venturing out a little ways. In that case, some of the smelly-type items will be left behind at base camp, and we will need bear-proof containers to comply with the rules.

With me so far? Any advice or correction would be appreciated.

So, if these containers are really needed, is there a list of approved models somewhere? Or is there some type of regulatory rating or stamp of approval to look for when getting these so called bear-proof containers?

TJ here is the NPS food page with the approved containers.  I would recommend the Bear Vault as the best value for cost, weight and ease of use. 

The other option is to just carry your smelly stuff with you when you go dayhike and then no need for a container.

Thanks, ME. I appreciate the feedback!

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2018, 07:45:53 PM »
TJ here is the NPS food page with the approved containers.  I would recommend the Bear Vault as the best value for cost, weight and ease of use. 
The other option is to just carry your smelly stuff with you when you go dayhike and then no need for a container.

That's interesting. I think that list has been added since last time I looked in depth at the compendium. I remember the compendium linking to lists issued by NPS entities in the Sierras.  Or maybe I'm just getting old.  Anyways, TJ, my two cents in answer to your questions: Even the lightest approved bearproof containers are going to weigh a couple pounds.  And they're bulky.  And expensive. Do the math and figure what works best for your hiking crew. Personally, I'd probably carry my stuff with me on my back rather than leave it at camp. But if I know you, you'll probably be lugging a ton of photo equipment with you, too, so that might not make sense. If you do buy one or more bearproof containers, I recommend Bearvaults (they come in a few sizes).  They're the lightest BiBe-approved containers and really work wonderfully. I use them and so do several others here (I know ME does, as did PeterO on his huge hikes a few months ago). I think Bearvaults are vastly better than all the other alternative types....except for the much lighter and much easier-to-carry soft-sided Ursacks....which for some reason, the powers-that-be at BiBe have not added to their list. Probably because the process of correctly closing them with the attached cordage can be a little finicky. Meanwhile, Ursacks are working just fine for everyone in the Sierras. Oh, well.....

Edit: one suggestion for bear canisters, if you buy them: add a couple strips of reflective tape to them in case a bear or some other animal actually bats them around at night. Makes it a LOT easier to find them in the dark.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2018, 08:45:19 PM »
Thanks HMOD! Good advice. I looked at the Bear Vaults yesterday at REI. That's a lot of money for a heavy plastic container.

Right on about the photo gear. In the past, I've set up camp and then wandered off to explore, leaving the food behind. Having the smelly stuff in a hard container is probably a good idea. At the very least it would keep the javelinas out of my food.

I got a roll of reflective tape last year to put on my tripods. That's an excellent suggestion to put it on the canisters. Thanks!

Offline Hookim

• Roadrunner
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2018, 08:52:49 AM »
Thanks HMOD! Good advice. I looked at the Bear Vaults yesterday at REI. That's a lot of money for a heavy plastic container.

Right on about the photo gear. In the past, I've set up camp and then wandered off to explore, leaving the food behind. Having the smelly stuff in a hard container is probably a good idea. At the very least it would keep the javelinas out of my food.

I got a roll of reflective tape last year to put on my tripods. That's an excellent suggestion to put it on the canisters. Thanks!
Guys, do we have a gear-specific suggestion thread with topics such as bear-proof containers, reflective tape uses, etc. that's basically a bulleted topic list with short descriptors?...

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2018, 09:37:52 AM »
Guys, do we have a gear-specific suggestion thread with topics such as bear-proof containers, reflective tape uses, etc. that's basically a bulleted topic list with short descriptors?...

There is the General Outdoor Stuff & Camping Equipment section all the way down the Forum list.

There is even a thread on Bear Food Storage Containers.  Which is not about storing bear food but human food.   ;)
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Hookim

• Roadrunner
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2018, 10:01:38 AM »

There is the General Outdoor Stuff & Camping Equipment section all the way down the Forum list.

There is even a thread on Bear Food Storage Containers.  Which is not about storing bear food but human food.   ;)
Lol! Great! Thanks, ME - I'll check 'em out.

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2018, 09:51:20 PM »

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!