Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Colorado Bend - Dec 2018

• 10 Replies

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
Colorado Bend - Dec 2018
« on: December 24, 2018, 09:15:36 AM »
I finally got a chance to get out for a quick trip to Colorado Bend State Park. I honestly didn't know where I was going up until the night before. With ever changing work schedules and family obligations, its really hard to find the time to get away. I decided on Colorado Bend because its only 2.5 hours from my house and we had had a chance to visit in summer before and I knew there were quite a few trails but I never had the chance to explore them.

So on Thursday December 20, I dropped my son off at school, had breakfast with my wife and her cafe in Keene, TX and headed off with my pack toward Bend, TX. The drive was pleasant. I always enjoy driving south away from DFW. I arrived at the park and had my overnight permit before noon. I didn't have a route picked out just yet but knew I wanted to make some sort of loop. After talking with the ranger and taking her suggestions for trails, I decided to park at the Cedar Chopper Loop trailhead and head toward the Tinaja Trail and Gorman Falls.

The first notable thing I encountered on trail was the Tinaja. It was quite different than what I had imagined in my head. I envisioned a small hot tub sized depression in the rock filled with a little water. I was wrong. It was way more than I expected.

Next I continued on the trail toward Gorman Falls. I had visited the falls before several summers ago when Texas was in the midst of a drought. They were flowing but it was only a fraction of what I would encounter on this trip.

After sauntering around the falls for a while, I headed off toward my last sight for the day, the overlook at the Tie Slide trail. There had been a picture from this overlook in the headquarters which was an awesome shot. The trail leading up to the overlook was nice but had little views. Then as you reach the cliff side I found a nice viewing platform. The views were great of the entire bend of the Colorado River. The view was even better from the cliff just to the right of the platform.

After spending a little time around the overlook, I raced to beat nightfall as I headed toward my camp at the Windmill sites. It was very windy this day. Winds were constant at 20 - 30 miles and hour with gusts up to 40. The weather person on the radio on my drive in had called the day "quite breezy". That was no joke. I was hoping my site would have some relief from the winds. The ranger had told me to pick whichever site I wanted because I was sure to be the only one at the backpacking sites for the night. In fact up until 20 minutes before sunset, I hadn't seen another soul at the park aside from the ranger at the headquarters. I picked site 8. The sites were situated all in one main drag with each site branching off from that all within 100 yards or so. I wouldn't get much relief from the wind. After cooking dinner, I climbed into my Tarptent Double Rainbow and ate. Other than going to the bathroom, I would spend the next 13 hours in my tent.

I woke up for the final time the next morning at 8:30 to the sound of cows mooing in the distance. I got up and made coffee and had a mini banana nut bread that my wife had made for me. I soon discovered I had only a cup of water left for my hike out. I decided to go ahead and drink the rest and hike out dry. I had 3 miles to go to complete the loop back to my truck. The morning was cool and crisp in the 30's but didn't have the bite of the wind I had experienced the day before. It was a very pleasant hike. I reached my truck around 11am.

I had made a reservation for a river car camping site for that night so that I could have a fire. I headed toward the river, set up camp, and spent the rest of my trip lazily hanging around and checking out a few of the sites down toward the river. It ended up being a great trip. Can't wait to get back out there in summer so that my little boys can swim in the creek.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: Colorado Bend - Dec 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 09:35:34 AM »
Looks like a great short trip with some nice water features to check out too, thanks!
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 10:20:51 AM »
Excellent trip, Wrangler88! I’ve always thought Gorman Falls is one of the nicest, prettiest spots in all of Texas. That’s cool that you’ve now gotten to see it two such different conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 10:54:16 AM »

I forgot to post the video. But this is the report in motion picture form.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 10:22:36 PM »
Anyone else not able to see the pics?

Offline Quatro

• Diamondback
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 10:39:55 PM »
Anyone else not able to see the pics?

Me either.  Running Google Chrome.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - HST

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 08:00:11 AM »
I tried on Chrome and IE, no pics.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 08:09:32 AM »
I can see the video just fine.  Were other pics attached?

Wrangler, CBSP is a gem of a park.  It has become my new favorite local state park.  I'm just beginning to explore the different areas.  Thanks for posting.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 09:04:47 AM »
I saw them yesterday....Today they’re gone.
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 09:41:00 AM »
I see no pics.  :(

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 10:07:44 PM »
None here

Sent from my SM-N920P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!