Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Grand Canyon Fandango

• 41 Replies

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Grand Canyon Fandango
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 04:34:26 PM »
And for folks who don't like crowds at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon... try the North Rim.  It receives only 10% of the visitors. 
Some of the Grand Canyon's most difficult trails start out from the North Rim.  Google 'Nankoweap Trail' for a good example.

The North Rim can be combined with a trip to Zion National Park.  Outstanding scenery there.

I've been on the North Rim in mid-Oct and had many of the lookouts all to myself.  Just don't expect to find any McDonald's over on that side.  :)
Agree 100%, but it's hard to get there in March. ;)

As we were about to head down the South Kaibab Trail, a fellow tourist asked if we were going all the way to the river. I jokingly replied "sure, we've got our entire water supply right here" as I put my bottle carrier around my waist. She caught on quickly and said "I see you have your first aid kit there, too!" in reference to the couple of band-aids in the mesh pouch. I think (or at least hope) I cinched up that belt a bit after this picture was taken by Jennifer. Note the uber-stylish flannel shirt bought at Shopko. :)

If you guys like panos, you should check out this site for Grand Canyon panos.  The owner has hiked every trail in the canyon and documented it...

http://www.gcpano.org/

Ooh, Aah in snow!!!

Offline JordanFiveOh

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2018, 03:22:26 AM »
Good stuff!

I think Navajo Point/Desert View is pretty underrated for a panoramic, since you get the river from the north and the west.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 07:08:17 PM »
My youngest is 12 (daughter) and I'm thinking of taking her to Big Bend this coming fall/winter.  Your trip/pics made me imagine that trip.  Thanks!!!

Oh, regarding Meteor Crater, funny how we'll pay to see something like that. I was fortunate enough to attend some training in the very secure Nevada Testing Range at Mercury, Nevada (think Area 51 stuff).  We were able to visit Sedan Crater (Area 10 I think), which while man-made by a nuclear blast, is an impressive hole at over a 1000 feet across.  Looked like a giant ant lion hole.  We got to see the Apple House and other historical sites from our nuclear program.

The Nevada Test Site does a public tour once a month.

Limited to 50; reservations required. They probably are booked for the rest of the year but you can get on a wait list.

Ask when they start booking for 2019 and call early.

You'll get to see Sedan Crater, the house, and lots of other stuff.

All day tour. Free, except for your food items at the cafeteria stops.

Well worth the trip out.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 07:28:18 PM »
My youngest is 12 (daughter) and I'm thinking of taking her to Big Bend this coming fall/winter.  Your trip/pics made me imagine that trip.  Thanks!!!

Oh, regarding Meteor Crater, funny how we'll pay to see something like that. I was fortunate enough to attend some training in the very secure Nevada Testing Range at Mercury, Nevada (think Area 51 stuff).  We were able to visit Sedan Crater (Area 10 I think), which while man-made by a nuclear blast, is an impressive hole at over a 1000 feet across.  Looked like a giant ant lion hole.  We got to see the Apple House and other historical sites from our nuclear program.

The Nevada Test Site does a public tour once a month.

Limited to 50; reservations required. They probably are booked for the rest of the year but you can get on a wait list.

Ask when they start booking for 2019 and call early.

You'll get to see Sedan Crater, the house, and lots of other stuff.

All day tour. Free, except for your food items at the cafeteria stops.

Well worth the trip out.

Geiger counters provided?
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 10:16:35 PM »
Geiger counters provided?

Nope, not needed.

Extremely interesting tour.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 04:58:02 PM »
Here's a few more from our stroll/ride along the rim to Hermit's Rest.

more to come...

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 09:31:58 PM »
I like those first two pictures of that last set - the ones with the two people in the middle distance.  That really adds a sense of perspective to just how immense the canyon is.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 04:00:51 PM »

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2018, 04:42:28 PM »
After making it to Hermit's Rest, we caught a shuttle bus back to the village. Our plan to wait and get ice cream turned out to have been a poor decision, as there were tons of people in line. Thanks to all of the construction and crowds, the shuttle buses were really backed up. What was supposed to be a 15 minute wait turned in to an hour or more. After finally getting back to our car, we stopped by the in-park grocery store/market for some snacks (including much cheaper ice cream bars), then headed over to the showers by Mather Campground. Two bucks for 8 minutes of hot water. Money well spent. We then headed back to the Bedrock City campground and struck camp, rather messily I might add. We were racing the sunset and just stuffed everything in the car. I checked out and got a night's refund, then we drove up to the fire road that the NPS recommends for NFS dispersed camping. Found a nice spot and I set the tent up in the dark. Jennifer almost helped.  :icon_rolleyes:

(and yes, I know better than to leave the ground cloth not tucked under the tent, but I just didn't care)

In the morning I took down the tent by my self, as Jennifer flatly refused to even fake an attempt at helping. I think aluminum tent poles after a night around freezing are one of the coldest things ever. They just seem to suck the heat from your hands. Should've dug some gloves out of the car, but I'm stubborn that way.

We drove down in to Tusayan and had a nice dinner at the Mexican restaurant before returning to camp. Camping in the NFS was so much more peaceful. Nearest neighbors were 50 yards away and they were quiet. We could have gone farther down the road and been much more secluded, but Jennifer picked this spot. Temps were a bit more moderate, as it only got down to 30 or so. It also sprinkled a bit at one point. The highlight of the night was some elk bugling at around 4:30AM. If you've never heard it before, it is super freaky. We also confirmed that Jennifer's air mattress would indeed only hold air for about 4 hours. We dropped it off in the trash outside the McDonald's on the way in to the park. We had breakfast at the cafe inside the market, which was not only much better than McD's, but about half the price. Lesson learned.

We stopped by Mathers Point again. I had wanted to do some more panos, now that I knew hot to use the cell phone camera a little better, but finding a spot at the rail was difficult. We gave up and drove down to the trailhead for Shoshone Point. The hike in is through a lovely stand of tall pines and is on a smooth dirt road/path. Lots of birds in the trees. There were four women that started a minute or two before us, but after we passed them we never saw them again. We had the Point all to ourselves.

On the way back to the car we passed 4-5 small groups of people. Looks like we timed it right.

more to come...

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2018, 06:13:05 PM »
then headed over to the showers by Mather Campground. Two bucks for 8 minutes of hot water.

That is significantly better than the $2 for 5 minutes at RGV.

then we drove up to the fire road that the NPS recommends for NFS dispersed camping. Found a nice spot and I set the tent up in the dark.

Good to see you visiting and using real public land. Will you be doing more of that?

Also it's so very special to see the NPS direct you to some place other than their park, where you can do things they won't let you do in their domain. Says a lot about access and usability in both realms. The NPS is completely tone deaf to the juxtaposition.

Camping in the NFS was so much more peaceful. Nearest neighbors were 50 yards away and they were quiet.

Merely one of many benefits of not going into NPS areas.

I had wanted to do some more panos, ... but finding a spot at the rail was difficult. 

Thronged with tourists? So typical of NPS areas. [paraphasing The Sound of Silence]: probably all of them "looking without seeing."

Offline Talusman

• Black Bear
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2018, 07:10:07 PM »
Damn! Fudge! Those are some really great photos and they do not do the real sight justice I know. What a freaking great trip Richard, especially sharing that with your daughter. What a great bonding experience. I'm so jealous. Congrats!
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 07:59:21 PM »
Nice report Richard. Jennifer is getting so big. Time flies..

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 05:17:35 PM »
After leaving Shoshone Point, we continued East to the Tusayan Ruins and museum. No pictures, I'm afraid, but it was a cool stop. We then headed to the Desert View Watchtower and snack bar. Finally got our ice cream!

We left the park and continued Eastward. We stopped at the Little Colorado River Gorge Overlook (url=https://www.google.com/maps?q=35.919477,-111.563247&z=15]location[/url]). Jennifer declined to even get out of the car. I couldn't even talk her into checking out the Navajo jewelry and pottery tables. At least her apathy saved me some money.

Since we were in the area, Jennifer wanted to stop at Four Corners. Who knew it had a closing time?

Park's closed. Moose out front should 've told ya.

I consoled her by informing her it's not the "real" four corners anyway, just the one they put up for tourists. We carried on towards Mesa Verde N.P.

more later...

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2018, 06:21:17 PM »
I consoled her by informing her it's not the "real" four corners anyway, just the one they put up for tourists.

Actually, it is not a tourist thing at all (though the site is a genuine tourist trap).

The monument is real, and the four states most certainly meet there, but is inaccurately surveyed (due to technology limitations of the time). Way too late now to fix it. The error occurred in the 1860s/1870s and is about 1,800' off.

Want to know more? See https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/INFO/fourcorners.shtml

There is a similar error (but not for the same reason) along the entire eastern New Mexico border with Texas. Texas was given too much land to the west by about two miles. If you look at the NM/OK border, that line correctly is located and should have been projected south, but clumsy surveyors (not limitations of technology) placed the Texas line too far west.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 06:25:03 PM »
There is a similar error (but not for the same reason) along the entire eastern New Mexico border with Texas. Texas was given too much land to the west by about two miles. If you look at the NM/OK border, that line correctly is located and should have been projected south, but clumsy surveyors (not limitations of technology) placed the Texas line too far west.

Cool. We're even bigger and better than I thought.   Good to know.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!