Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Idiots?

• 7 Replies

SHANEA

Idiots?
« on: August 07, 2006, 05:38:54 PM »
Not too awfully far from the West Texas Trans Pecos Big Bend region is Cap Rock Canyons State Park.   From my current scanning project.  Ah, someone asked me in a PM if this Epson scanner does slides, yep - but only one at a time  :lol:.  Will do up to 25ish prints at a time automagically and also negatives.

Driving there from Dallas - do you think we should turn around?  We're sliding across all the bridges.  Ah, it'll get better....

What a wonderful day to be at Cap Rock Canyons.  This was taken mid afternoon in blowing snow.  We even had reservations for a campsite.  Got to the rangers shed and told us to pick any site we wanted as we had the whole park to ourselves.

Good thing we brought our own wood.

Let's take a group photo!  I'm the shortest one.

Notice the electrical cord on the ground, someone, not me, had the foresite to bring an electric heater for the tent.    This was tent camping at it's finest, way prior to the luxuries of the R2D2 pop-up camper.  John Wayne would be proud.

One might say it's a little chilly out.

Where the heck are we and why did we let ShaneA talk us into coming here.

Come in Red Rider...

Maybe I took one too many picture.

Offline DavidW

• Black Bear
Idiots?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 05:49:54 PM »
Caprock Canyons is actually one of my most favorite state parks for camping and hiking. Been there quite a few times. Was there this past January and had the whole place to myself as well.
David

SHANEA

Hit Hard
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 07:26:08 PM »
It's also one of the TPWD parks that have been hit very hard with the budget problems.  If I recall correctly, the entire park was closed for a time earlier this year.

Schedule: There is an honor box at headquarters used to collect camping and day-use fees when the office is closed. Gate Hours: Friday - Saturday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m., Sunday - Thursday 8 a.m. - noon, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. For more details, call the park. Check the Calendar of Events for access restrictions or closures scheduled in the next 3 months.

Offline DavidW

• Black Bear
Re: Hit Hard
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 07:45:22 PM »
Quote from: "SHANEA"
If I recall correctly, the entire park was closed for a time earlier this year.

Yeah, they were only open for day-use for about 3 months. Your reminding me of that made me look back at the dates of my photos from my last camping trip out there. Turns out it wasn't in January it was November. When I went out there in January to camp I found out that they were day-use only until March. I have since learned to call ahead to parks and check their status before I drive 5 hours for nothing. :(
David

Offline DavidW

• Black Bear
Idiots?
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 08:36:45 PM »
Here are a couple of pics from my trip to Caprock Canyons in November of 2005.

David

SHANEA

Re: Hit Hard
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 08:39:53 PM »
Quote from: "DavidW"
When I went out there in January to camp I found out that they were day-use only until March. (

:P That's what I was thinking is that they were closed from Jan - Mar for camping, etc. due to budget shortfalls.  Tragic.  Gosh, I'd have hated to drive all that way from here to find out they were closed.   8)

SHANEA

Where's the Snow?
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 08:42:15 PM »
Quote from: "DavidW"
Here are a couple of pics from my trip to Caprock Canyons in November of 2005.

Where's the snow?  I've only been there one time and have never really seen it w/o snow.  It's a long haul there from here, so I'd rather go to BIBE I suppose.

Offline DavidW

• Black Bear
Re: Where's the Snow?
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 08:53:44 PM »
Quote from: "SHANEA"
Where's the snow?

The only time I can ever remember camping in the snow was up at Wichita Mountains NWR in Oklahoma. Woke up one morning to 1-2 inches of snow on the ground and 20 degrees.
David

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!