Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Just started planning a thru-hike of Jordan

• 18 Replies

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Re: Just started planning a thru-hike of Jordan
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 09:13:10 PM »
There’s more than enough to keep me interested in the USA and Canada.

Ain't that the truth.  Compared to a lot of you guys on this board, I'm just getting started.  We are blessed in this nation to have so much available to us

I think backpackers and outdoorsmen really do get a bargain in the US.

We get to backpack wonderful places for little or no money, and we can hunt federal land for little or no money.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 10:51:11 PM »
Not really off-topic, but somewhat off-continent...

My two sons and I are, Lord willing, hiking Hadrian's Wall in June 2018.

Huzzah!  That's one for the books!

Dprather, if you and I don't run into each other in the Bend, then we're bound to run into each other on some other continent. Our interests seem spookily similar. Wayne's trying to send me into the nether reaches of Canada, but I'm not sure I have the vim and vigor he does, and he's got a decade or more on me. I'm planning on Jordan at the age of 65, because it's the Middle Eastern version of hut-to-hut hiking: I can eat my way from village to village.  Next on my list after Jordan is Great Britain, where I can walk from pub to pub along any number of their long distance trails. You'll make it there long before me. All I ask is please post a trip report.  :dance:
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 11:30:27 PM »

Dprather, if you and I don't run into each other in the Bend, then we're bound to run into each other on some other continent. Our interests seem spookily similar. Wayne's trying to send me into the nether reaches of Canada, but I'm not sure I have the vim and vigor he does, and he's got a decade or more on me. I'm planning on Jordan at the age of 65, because it's the Middle Eastern version of hut-to-hut hiking: I can eat my way from village to village.  Next on my list after Jordan is Great Britain, where I can walk from pub to pub along any number of their long distance trails. You'll make it there long before me. All I ask is please post a trip report.  :dance:

I have been unable to coax my sons into backpacking.  They are, however, like me, history guys.

I used the tremendous historical significance of Hadrian's Wall as bait.  That, and I am paying for most of it.  It will truly be a lifetime father/son  blessing.

The pathway is very well laid-out and there are strategically placed hostels, rental barns, and pubs (it is not really backpacking).  Hadrians Wall is a designated British trail.  The path is 84 or so miles from the Irish sea on the west, to Wallsend on the English Chanel on the east.  We are doing eight days and seven nights.  That will allow us to stop and take in the many archaeologically significant sights, some of which are still being dug.  My oldest son inherited his mom's tendency to take care of details, so he is doing the grunt work of planning (he says  there is a famous pub called "Twice Brewed" about half-way).

June will be somewhat warm by their standards, but not so much by ours.  It will be the rainy season with winds blowing from west to east, thus dictating a west to east trek to keep the blowing rain out of our faces.

Although we will be too far south, I expect to run into Mel Gibson/William Wallace as we are climbing the central hilly section - FREEDOM!

My Jesus Trail plans correspond with a trip to the Bible Lands for my wife and I.  We are going with a small group of other ministers and wives, led by a guy who specializes in such as this.  I will leave about a week early to do the Jesus Trail, perhaps hooking up with some other hikers so as not to go solo in the Galilee (although I am assured that the Galilee is safe).  Then I'll meet my wife and the rest in Jerusalem, a grizzled, dusty, and crusty veteran of Israel. 
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 11:45:48 PM »

I have been unable to coax my sons into backpacking.  They are, however, like me, history guys.

I used the tremendous historical significance of Hadrian's Wall as bait.  That, and I am paying for most of it.  It will truly be a lifetime father/son  blessing.

The pathway is very well laid-out and there are strategically placed hostels, rental barns, and pubs (it is not really backpacking).  Hadrians Wall is a designated British trail.  The path is 84 or so miles from the Irish sea on the west, to Wallsend on the English Chanel on the east.  We are doing eight days and seven nights.  That will allow us to stop and take in the many archaeologically significant sights, some of which are still being dug.  My oldest son inherited his mom's tendency to take care of details, so he is doing the grunt work of planning (he says  there is a famous pub called "Twice Brewed" about half-way).

June will be somewhat warm by their standards, but not so much by ours.  It will be the rainy season with winds blowing from west to east, thus dictating a west to east trek to keep the blowing rain out of our faces.

Although we will be too far south, I expect to run into Mel Gibson/William Wallace as we are climbing the central hilly section - FREEDOM!

My Jesus Trail plans correspond with a trip to the Bible Lands for my wife and I.  We are going with a small group of other ministers and wives, led by a guy who specializes in such as this.  I will leave about a week early to do the Jesus Trail, perhaps hooking up with some other hikers so as not to go solo in the Galilee (although I am assured that the Galilee is safe).  Then I'll meet my wife and the rest in Jerusalem, a grizzled, dusty, and crusty veteran of Israel.

Father/Sons and Husband/Wife. Awesome, and I'm jealous. And it looks like you'll visit both locations well ahead of me. I look forward to someday comparing notes on both those destinations.  :great:
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!