Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Not a BB trip, but still a good read. Enjoy! August 2007 (In Two Parts)

• 19 Replies

Offline mountaindocdanny

• Diamondback
    • http://griffisfamilyoutdoors.blogspot.com
Re: Not a BB trip, but still a good read. Enjoy! August 2007 (In Two Parts)
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 04:20:46 PM »
Gaiters will be worth their weight in gold. Snowshoes can be a hit or miss thing in spring snow. I have been in conditions where the snowshoes seemed to plunge as deep in the snow as my feet did. Unfortunately when snowshoes plunge down deep into the snow they can be very difficult to extricate. If you already own a pair they might be worth bringing. Worst case scenario you can always keep them lashed to your pack.

Offline tornados_blow

• Roadrunner
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 04:57:44 PM »
Great trip report, and definitely some good lessons to learn.  Sounds like providing each guy with a 'suggested packing list' might have cut down on the extra crap (like a laptop), and more importantly, bring WATER :)  I would have done a 'gear check' at the truck by the trailhead to make sure everyone had the essentials and no crap. 

Speaking of crap, not sure why some won't do that in the woods... you gotta go... you go! :)

With their limited experience, they would need a bit more help to make sure they had the right stuff.  And since you were crossing streams, why no water shoes or sandals?  Probably would have kept you from falling down while in the water.  The extra pound for a pair of wet water shoes would have been worth it to me.

That's one of the reasons I do most of my backpacking trips solo.... I don't have the patience for what you put up with.  My wife really was a trooper on our recent backpacking trip to BB, but then I did have to modify the trip with several days at the Basin Lodge to appease her.  If I had been solo, I would have done 4 nights in the Chisos, making hikes back to the basin for water as needed.

Yes I did learn the lesson of having a very specific gear list and checking it.  Water shoes would have been a no brainer in retrospect. 

There are so many things that I would do differently if I could do it over.  That's why I call it "How not to backpack", because nearly everything went wrong.

This year will be different. 

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 02:52:12 PM »
valecito creek is a gorgeous area, we passed through it going along the CDT. it was one of my favorite places to pump water  :eusa_clap:

though squaw creek might have been better :o

Offline lighter fluid

• Coyote
  • Sitting on the South Rim enjoyin the sunrise.
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 09:06:13 PM »
Nice pics Viper.  :eusa_clap: How much of the CDT did you hike?
"...There is a pessimism about land which, after it has been with you a long time, becomes merely factual. Men increase; country suffers. " John Graves 'Goodbye to a River'

Offline cookch1

• Roadrunner
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 04:14:42 PM »
I've done Lindsey, Blanca, and attempted Challenger but didn't reach the summit. Got buzzed by some fighter jets while standing on the peak of Blanca. I'll have to dig up those pictures...

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!