Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Ouachita National Forest - camping and hiking advice

• 21 Replies

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
Re: Ouachita National Forest - camping and hiking advice
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 05:50:33 PM »
Thanks for the pics!  You've renewed my determination to complete the Eagle Rock Loop this fall.  How was the weather, humidity wise? 

Offline Slimkitty

• Coyote
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 05:56:32 PM »
Weather was great!  My main gripe is that it still feels a bit like the South. Still a little humid, still lots of chiggers, ticks, and mosquitoes.  Being from Louisiana, in order to really get away I prefer to camp in more arid regions.  Also, we ended up in the Ozarks, quite a ways north of Ouachita National Forest. I hear the humidity at this time is quite unbearable in Ouachita, but I can't say firsthand. 

Sent from the future.

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 06:57:11 AM »
I can certainly attest to the humidity in the Ouachitas.  My son and I hiked a portion of the ERL last August - a portion because "the old man" ran out of dry clothes and bailed about half way thru  :eusa_clap:
Beautiful scenery, though, and I loved the clear running streams!

Offline Owl

• Roadrunner
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 07:20:54 PM »
...My main gripe is that it still feels a bit like the South. Still a little humid, still lots of chiggers, ticks, and mosquitoes...

It feels like the South because it IS the South.  I love Arkansas but I stay out of the woods in the summer mainly because of the chiggers.  You don't know you've been in them until about two days later when you're scratchin' bites like a madman.  Fall (and the magic 41F temp. at which chiggers die) will be here soon, though.   :icon_smile:

Online GaryF

• Roadrunner
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2017, 07:35:50 PM »
Is that 3rd picture from the Goat Trail?

Awesome trip!  Temps and bugs are a lot better from late October on, but each season has its own appeal.

Offline Slimkitty

• Coyote
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 05:21:40 PM »
That 3rd picture is actually next to Whitaker Point.  It's a beautiful, but heavily traveled trail. There were LOTS of people out there, but it was still worth seeing.

Sent from the future.

Offline ans015

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 10:03:12 PM »
So glad you had a good time! great pictures, I think Ill go back for thanksgiving

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!