Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Ouachita Trail Maintenance Weekend

• 7 Replies

Offline ambersdad

• Diamondback
Ouachita Trail Maintenance Weekend
« on: April 02, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »
13 of us met up at Cedar Lake Campground in southeastern Oklahoma to work on the OT this past weekend.  6 of us are FoOT (Friends of the Ouachita Trail) members and have adopted sections of it in Oklahoma. 

Had a great time.  Saturday night was our dutch oven feast which could have easily fed 50 people. A vast number of adult beverages were consumed and a good time was had by all around the campfire each night.

My section is the last part of the OT in Oklahoma and I love it.  It is located in the Upper Kiamichi River Wilderness.  It drops down off Rich Mountain about 1000' in elevation in a little more than 3 miles to the river below.  Since it is a wilderness area, I can't use chainsaws, mowers, or weed-eaters.

We came across this Copperhead in the hollow base of an oak beside the trail in my section.

Bobby, A good friend that will be coming down with me Friday to the Bend, is here taking a break after we used a crosscut saw to move a dead fall off the trail on another members section of the OT. I took a crosscut saw certification class so I can do it without involving the Forest Service.  It would take them some time to get in and do it.  We got it done quickly so very little walk around damage was done by hikers here.

We put the cut next to the trail for a nice little rest stop for hikers.

The highlight for me besides all the great company was seeing a large black bear.  He was the biggest black bear I've ever seen.

A hard trip to top....until next weekend.  We will be BiBe bound. ;)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 05:30:59 AM by ambersdad »
Having decent gear is nice, but wildlife photography is knowing your subject and getting lucky, and I love getting lucky.
https://www.facebook.com/randy.jones.33234
http://randyswildlifeandnaturephotography.com/

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
Re: Ouachita Trail Maintenance Weekend
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 02:52:57 PM »
We'll be there to Ambersdad.  Would love to hook up with you in the Wichitas sometime.

Offline ambersdad

• Diamondback
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 03:27:20 PM »
Would love to hook up with you in the Wichitas sometime.

Look forward to it.  I will be down there a lot in May.  Will have some of my photos on display in the Visitor Center and the cowbird project starts up again. 
Having decent gear is nice, but wildlife photography is knowing your subject and getting lucky, and I love getting lucky.

Offline dkerr24

• Mountain Lion
  • The worst day hiking > the best day in a cubicle.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 09:23:49 PM »
Sad to say, but as a native Oklahoman, I've never been to that part of the state.  Guess that comes from being raised in western Oklahoma where more than 3 to 4 trees is too crowded! :)

Looks like I need to make that 3-4 hour drive over to check it out before it gets too hot.

Darin

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:07:46 PM »
My sons and I have attended BSA Summer Camps at the base of Winding Stair Mountain just east of Talihina. I have hiked parts of the Bohannon Trail and the Indian Nations Trail. From the top, the scenery reminds me a lot of the Smokey Mountains.

Offline ambersdad

• Diamondback
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 09:01:58 AM »
Sad to say, but as a native Oklahoman, I've never been to that part of the state.  Guess that comes from being raised in western Oklahoma where more than 3 to 4 trees is too crowded! :)

Looks like I need to make that 3-4 hour drive over to check it out before it gets too hot.

Darin

Some nice trails in that part of the country. You should enjoy it.

My sons and I have attended BSA Summer Camps at the base of Winding Stair Mountain just east of Talihina. I have hiked parts of the Bohannon Trail and the Indian Nations Trail. From the top, the scenery reminds me a lot of the Smokey Mountains.

I think I know the camp you are talking about.  You can see it from the  Ouachita Trail. 

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 10:35:45 AM »

Darin

Some nice trails in that part of the country. You should enjoy it.

I think I know the camp you are talking about.  You can see it from the  Ouachita Trail.

Yes, that is Camp Tom Hale and the lake is Bohannon Lake. The scouts dayhike up to the scenic overlook west of the fire lookout tower, ~11 mile roundtrip.

In addition to the trails, the drive along the length of the Winding Stair Mountains has amazing beautiful views.

SHANEA

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 08:10:59 PM »
Stellar idea - adopt a trail at BIBE! 

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!