Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Seminole and BBRSP - Jan 3rd-10th

• 24 Replies

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
Re: Seminole and BBRSP - Jan 3rd-10th
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 12:15:29 PM »
Sorry to hear about the grumpy ranger at the BWVC, but I would encourage you to put yourself in his shoes after getting 7-10x as many questions and permits per day than normal. Park rangers get a lot of grief on this forum, but few seem to remember that they are only human beings with the limitations as the rest of us. For the rest of y'all coming down during the shutdown, please do your research before you come and bring some extra patience.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline Txlj

• Diamondback
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 12:54:48 PM »
Agreed Ranger Tim. As in all walks of life, your got some sour grapes but by and large, you guys and gals do an excellent job. I deal with the public daily and understand. And with the increase yall are having, no thanks. Spring Break is enough.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Losthiker68

• Roadrunner
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 01:14:51 PM »

My car somehow decided it was okay after we left Sanderson...   (I never did figure out what happened, guessing either some bad fuel or a clogged fuel line that cleared itself.)

Since we live in a Microsoft age, my first impulse is to reboot anything that acts up.  Maybe shutting down and restarting the vehicle...

My fear was the exact opposite - if it stopped it'd never start again.
Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. - John Muir

Offline Losthiker68

• Roadrunner
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 01:18:50 PM »
Sorry to hear about the grumpy ranger at the BWVC, but I would encourage you to put yourself in his shoes after getting 7-10x as many questions and permits per day than normal. Park rangers get a lot of grief on this forum, but few seem to remember that they are only human beings with the limitations as the rest of us. For the rest of y'all coming down during the shutdown, please do your research before you come and bring some extra patience.

I do understand but I was being honest in my trip report. I know the feeling. I'm a professor who just has his class size increased for the 3rd consecutive semester with no increase in pay. I get the frustration. 

Thankfully I had done my research and many of you were extremely helpful. I think it wouldn't have bothered me near as much had I  not seen such a contrast between BW and Sauceda - but I'm guessing Sauceda's business didn't increase near as much.

As was said by Txlij, y'all don't get the credit you deserve. I popped into BW on my way out and saw quite a few people despite it being a Thursday morning. One was a very grumpy 20-something who "just wanted something near the national park" and was being impatient with the staff. If I had to deal with idiots like that all day, I'd be in jail.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 01:24:33 PM by Losthiker68 »
Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. - John Muir

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 01:22:26 PM »
For the rest of y'all coming down during the shutdown, please do your research before you come and bring some extra patience.

I always pack a huge supply of patience in my kit. Itís invaluable throughout every part of the trip. AND it doesnít weigh a thing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 01:36:09 PM »

My car somehow decided it was okay after we left Sanderson...   (I never did figure out what happened, guessing either some bad fuel or a clogged fuel line that cleared itself.)

Since we live in a Microsoft age, my first impulse is to reboot anything that acts up.  Maybe shutting down and restarting the vehicle...

My fear was the exact opposite - if it stopped it'd never start again.

Iíve been there. One August many years ago, I was returning to Dallas from a month spent backpacking and climbing in the Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness and my check engine light suddenly popped on in the middle of nowhere, somewhere east of Mosquero, NM. I freaked out, only stopped once for gas after that, and never turned my ignition off. Turned out it was just a bad O2 sensor. I could have replaced it myself if Iíd known, instead I drove white-knuckled all the way back to Dallas. But as long as the engine was running, I was rolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Mesquito

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2019, 02:07:31 PM »
I was once camped at Telegraph Canyon in BBNP.  In the evening I got in my Bronco to move it.  Dead.  Next morning I loaded it up and started on my bike up the Ore Road.  About 1/4 mile short of Dagger Flat Road I met 3 guys from Austin coming south.  I rode back with them and we got Bronco rolling fast enough to start it.  I didnít stop until I got to OíReillys in Fort Stockton. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 03:40:13 PM by Mesquito »

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2019, 09:59:56 PM »

Does your medical bag contain diarrhea medicine?  I bet it does now. 

Yeah, the Immodium went into the first aid kit as soon as I came home.

Great reminder. Got some tonight while at the store. Gonna slip a few tablets into my first aid kit.   :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Losthiker68

• Roadrunner
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 10:11:21 PM »

Does your medical bag contain diarrhea medicine?  I bet it does now. 

Yeah, the Immodium went into the first aid kit as soon as I came home.

Great reminder. Got some tonight while at the store. Gonna slip a few tablets into my first aid kit.   :icon_mrgreen:

Happy to oblige.  :great:

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2019, 08:35:35 AM »
"I had plenty of gas. I was paranoid and never let her get below half a tank. The check engine light is on 24/7 but the mechanic I use says no codes are being reported."

This is part of your problem.  The computer only has one way to alert the driver that something is wrong, and it is through those "idiot lights".  The computer has something to tell.  Your mechanic does not know how to talk to it.    The code may be a specific Honda code, and a "stupid" code reader will not read it.  You need a mechanic who invested more on a "smarter" code reader that has specific software to read different car manufactures codes.  Obviously Honda.  There are many readers out there that will do it, so you don't have to go to Honda $$$$.

Life is too short.  No reason to take this kind of stress with you on vacation.   :great:

I think it's an indication of how BBSP works. Some of the rangers there have not been in their own back country.  As Cookie pointed out, we saw at least 4 white burros in one herd, and two in another.  Those are some noisy animals.

Also, when we were there for our permit, and again when we left, they had ONE guy working the desk.  If they have 10x more people showing up, it would seem to be a no brainer that a few more resources should be working the point of contact with visitors.  Go to Fort Davis SP, and see how those ladies there are able to move people through the system with ease.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 08:44:54 AM by elhombre »
The Tolerant Left  Masters of the Universe at Apple, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, Criteo, Vimeo and Spotify removed Alex Jones and other conservative voices.  There's no argument when only one side is heard!

What's your Social Credit Score?

May God Bless America

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!