Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

The Eagle Rock Loop - JALCO & dprather - October 23-26, 2017.

• 20 Replies

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: The Eagle Rock Loop - JALCO & dprather - October 23-26, 2017.
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »
Is this any better?  If this doesn't work, I'll re-read the sticky on posting pics :willynilly:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/137700031@N02/7ix162
Very nice. Reminds me of Lost Maples SP.

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 04:17:50 PM »

Very nice. Reminds me of Lost Maples SP.

But with a whole lot more water.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 04:34:48 PM »
Beautiful pictures and some really nice streams and swimming holes!
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 07:52:41 PM »
Beautiful pictures and some really nice streams and swimming holes!

When I hiked it last summer with my son, we did swim some.  It was a good way to beat the heat.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 08:37:52 PM »
Among the ERL's great beauties are the glens that fall between the ridges along the Athens-Bigfork leg.  Each of the five glens has water, and each begs to have a camp set up along a gurgling stream.  Resisting the urge to blast across the Athens-Bigfork in one day repays you with a night spent in one of these glens.

The ERL is very season-sensitive.  The heat and humidity of Ouachita summers is oppressive.  Water levels in the spring make for many, many tedious, shoes-off water crossings (JALCO and I only had two shoes-off crossings and were able to rock-hop across all other streams - that is not possible during spring breaks when there are as many as 15+ shoes-off crossings).  I'd be a bit concerned about doing the ERL in November when hunting season is in full force.  Late winters and early springs in Arkansas can be damp.  This is an October trail for sure. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:07:35 PM by dprather »
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 09:57:11 PM »
Among the ERL's great beauties are the glens that fall between the ridges along the Athens-Bigfork leg.  Each of the five glens has water, and each begs to have a camp set up along a gurgling stream.  Resisting the urge to blast across the Athens-Bigfork in one day repays you with a night spent in one of these glens.

The ERL is very season-sensitive.  The heat and humidity of Ouachita summers is oppressive.  Water levels in the spring make for many, many tedious, shoes-off water crossings (JALCO and I only had two shoes-off crossings and were able to rock-hop across all other streams - that is not possible during spring breaks when there are as many as 15+ shoes-off crossings).  I'd be a bit concerned about doing the ERL in November when hunting season is in full force.  Late winters and early springs in Arkansas can be damp.  This is an October trail for sure.

That's excellent beta, dprather. Can't ask for a clearer set of guidelines. Yours and Jalco's trip report, along with his photos, have really made me want to try this one.  Thanks!
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!