Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

The Sawtooth Redemption

• 69 Replies

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Re: The Sawtooth Redemption
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2009, 12:18:48 AM »
This shot is surreal.  Extremely well done!

Al

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2009, 01:04:19 AM »
This shot is surreal. Extremely well done!
Al

Thanks Al. Goat Lake definitely had a surreal quality about it. Very much worth the trouble to get to.

BTW, the Goat Lake photos are on the previous page, right above the break. Worth checking out if you, like me, head straight for the most recent posts and sometimes miss the ones above the page break.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 01:13:03 AM by jeffblaylock »
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2009, 01:10:21 AM »
I'm going to switch gears for a moment, as it is raining in Austin (no complaints here) and will be rainy again tomorrow, and it has been a month since the photos below were taken.

I had Lamoille Canyon circled on a map even before I'd settled on the Sawtooths as a destination. Dubbed the Yosemite of Nevada, this place has the double bonus of being in the middle of nowhere and part of the forest service, so it's completely off people's radars. Almost everyone I've talked to about my trip -- planning, during, or after -- has never heard of it. The canyon is high in the Ruby Mountains, thousands of feet above the sagebrush Great Basin Desert.

I couldn't tell you how spectacular it is. This is all I saw of it:

That last photo was taken from inside my car, parked at the campsite I had reserved months earlier, and then abandoned. The only thing I could do that would keep me and my gear dry was to drive, so I headed toward Great Basin National Park. This was the most disappointing day of the trip. Worse, because Lamoille Canyon is in the middle of nowhere, I may never get back to it. More details here.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 01:11:53 AM by jeffblaylock »
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Online mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2009, 07:23:38 AM »
I had Lamoille Canyon circled on a map even before I'd settled on the Sawtooths as a destination. Dubbed the Yosemite of Nevada, this place has the double bonus of being in the middle of nowhere and part of the forest service, so it's completely off people's radars. Almost everyone I've talked to about my trip -- planning, during, or after -- has never heard of it. The canyon is high in the Ruby Mountains, thousands of feet above the sagebrush Great Basin Desert.

Jeff, it is on my radar screen, has been for years. I hope to get out there and walk the Ruby crest trail sometime. You are right, it is in the middle of no where. Sorry you didn't get to see it, I would have loved to see the pictures.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009, 10:02:20 AM »
Never say never,guys....if you want it,you will get it. I know of this....

Jeff, i assume that you took your hammock,but when your done with your TR,can you share with us what you took for hiking and camping gear?.

Saludos

Homero
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2009, 07:10:02 AM »
Never say never,guys....if you want it,you will get it. I know of this....

Jeff, i assume that you took your hammock,but when your done with your TR,can you share with us what you took for hiking and camping gear?.

Saludos

Homero

Will do - that is in the works as we speak.

More lakes:

Edna Lake, for the second time

Hidden Lake

Upper Cramer Lake

More here
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

Offline russco

• Black Bear
  • Canyon Addict
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2009, 10:19:51 AM »
Grat report Jeff...that Goat Lake looks awesome. Thanks for sharing!
Carved upon my stone: my body lie but still I ROAM

Offline sleepy

• Black Bear
  • i'm not a terrorist
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2009, 05:55:26 PM »
Enjoyable as usual, Jeff.  Lucky you to be wandering so much.  Thanks for all the words and pictures.
It's never too late to be what you might have been-Geroge Elliot

Offline lparent

• Coyote
    • http://www.laurenceparent.com
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 10:42:07 PM »
Except for Las Vegas and Reno, all of Nevada is off people's radar.  I hope it stays that way.  I've poked around there several times, hiking to alpine lakes and bristlecone pines at Great Basin National Park, photographing ghost towns that were truly ghostly (unlike Terlingua!), shooting an icy sunrise in -10 degree weather in January, climbing Boundary Peak, the highest peak in the state, with a buddy and not another soul in site.  If you think Big Bend is empty, go to Nevada.

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 12:16:34 AM »
Several updates available on my blog -- some highlight pics here:

Upper Baron Lake

Baron Lake

Baron Lakes from Baron Divide

Me at Toxaway Lake

More here and here

From other stops on the trip ... first up, Lehman Caves in Great Basin NP, and I agree with lparent that the whole of Nevada is largely undiscovered.

The Grand Palace

The Parachute

More on Lehman Caves here

And my return to Yellowstone for the first time since 2002:

The Main Terrace at Mammoth

Sapphire Pool

First bald eagle seen in the wild

Simultaneous eruptions of Old Faithful and Beehive Geyser

Grizzly bear at the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center in West Yellowstone

And a wolf

More here
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 08:20:56 AM »
Yep, great stuff as usual. Nice work! Really makes me want to visit more of the west.

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2009, 10:01:51 AM »
 :eusa_clap:  Your pictures never cease to amaze me.

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2009, 11:15:28 AM »
Love the lake photo Jeff, reminds me of a photo a friend of mine had years ago, had it blown up framed and hung is a manner that allowed him to hang it right side up or down. Had to take a double take every time you walked into his entry hall, tough to tell which was which.
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2009, 01:01:03 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Just one photo for tonight, sunrise at Wheeler Peak campground in Great Basin NP.

We think of Big Bend as remote and light on visitors. Great Basin is more remote and lighter. According to the latest NPS visitation report, Big Bend has seen 250,000 visitors so far this year. Great Basin is just shy of 75,000 visitors. If you're ever anywhere near Ely, Nev. (and there's no reason you would be), visit Great Basin. It is like Big Bend, but higher, and the central mountain is over 13,000 feet high. The park features incredible caverns and some of the oldest trees in North America. There's even a glacier.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2009, 01:18:20 AM »
Pics from the trail over Sand Mountain Pass (1st of 2 crossings of this spectacular pass):

Approaching the pass from Edna Lake

Sand Mountain -- looks very different from the granite peaks surrounding it

Looking back to the west northwest

Sand Mountain Pass, seen from just to the east

First glimpse of Toxaway Lake

Toxaway Lake and Snowyside Peak

Reflection in Toxaway Lake

More info here
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!