Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Tuweap, it's a long way out there

• 3 Replies

Offline DuneYeti

• Roadrunner
Tuweap, it's a long way out there
« on: December 03, 2014, 08:42:34 AM »
Just a few words on an interesting place we visited last month. 
   The Tuweap overlook on the north rim of Grand Canyon.  Itís a long way out there, Iím talking 4-5 hr drive one way.  Gotta have a 4wd high clearance for the last section and itís rough.  There is lots of info on the Web about this place and the road to get there, but a few words about the drive, did I mention it was long,
   We camped at Jacob lake campground from there it is 30 miles to Fredonia, where you will probably want to gas up, the service station has a repair shop and wrecker service and theyíll give you a pen with there number to call if you get into trouble, they  said  just hike up the tallest hill you can find  and hope to get a cell signal and call them and they will come pull you out, they said the most common problem on this first section is people traveling to fast and popping tires. 
   8 miles later  you will get to the National Park road 115, 58 miles after that you will arrive at the ranger station, theyíll give you another pamphlet/map and fill you in on the latest conditions and let you know what time to be out of there, unless you are camping.  This last 6 mile section is rough and slow going, there are some pit toilets at the overlook and a couple picnic tables and of course the views, now every view of the Grand Canyon is spectacular so this is just a different kind of spectacular, the kind where you get to walk out onto a ledge and look 3,000 ft straight down, and I mean straight. I kind of crawled out on all 4ís.  Wonít take long to see all there is and itís back on the road to get back to camp before dark.
   We were the only ones out there and only saw 2 other vehicles all day.  The park service guys were ferrying a group of folks (who thought they could get there ford focus out there) out to the overlook in there park service truck.
"The less you want, the richer you are."

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
Re: Tuweap, it's a long way out there
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 12:03:17 PM »
A friend and I camped here for two nights about 3 years ago.  There was only one other camping group there.

The views are indeed awesome, even by Grand Canyon standards.  My friend actually attempted to climb down to the bottom--he got about halfway and decided against going further.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 01:11:33 PM »
Cool! Going in a couple of years. It's on the list.

www.virtualbigbend. com - now mobile friendly!

Offline kevint

• Black Bear
    • Pictures
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 03:39:28 PM »
Cool! Going in a couple of years. It's on the list.

www.virtualbigbend.com - now mobile friendly!

Mine too.
-- Kevin (W5KLT)

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."  --Yvon Chouinard

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!