Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Utah suggestions needed

• 13 Replies

Offline DesertRatShorty

• Coyote
    • Who was Desert Rat Shorty?
Utah suggestions needed
« on: January 29, 2018, 06:46:48 PM »
I'm thinking about heading to Utah this spring or fall for a week or so of backpacking. I'd like to get your suggestions on where to go.

Here are my criteria:

• Not Zion (the only place in Utah I've been to, it was awesome except for the hordes near Zion Canyon)
  • I'll have a rental car so no off-roading to get to the trailhead
  • No canyoneering or climbing -- not my thing. Moderate scrambling is OK.
  • Trails are fine but not needed
  • I'm OK with breaking the week into a couple shorter trips or spending a day or two day-hiking if that's the best way to see an area

Currently looking at Canyonlands, Arches, Capitol Reef and Escalante but any place I can get my slickrock fix is fine.

Also if you can recommend planning resources that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I roamed and rambled, and I foller'ed my footsteps
   To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
   And all around me a voice was a'sounding
   This land was made for you and me

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Utah suggestions needed
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 07:16:19 PM »
Canyonlands Needles district - out to Chesler park and around.  Or a Salt Creek trip, but hard to get permits.  At least one of these should be on everyone's bucket list.

Mine and I believe one of Mules Ears favorite too, Grand Gulch.

If your willing to take the rental down Hole In the Rock road, Coyote Gulch.  Many people drive it with rentals. 

ME has a few others also that I know he can describe best.

Don't forget about waiting in que for a backpacking permit down into the Grand Canyon.  Look at Hance creek or Hermit trail.  Friend did Thunder creek trail loop from the North side this year and said it was one of his best trips, but I can't speak to how easy it is to get on a walk up.  To make it down to Phanton Ranch from the South side has never taken us more than 3 days waiting.

The Tolerant Left  Masters of the Universe at Apple, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, Criteo, Vimeo and Spotify removed Alex Jones and other conservative voices.  Liberals control every newspaper and cable network except Fox.

Google    "The Good Censor"

May God bless America

Offline GaryF

• Coyote
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 07:51:34 PM »
Iíll 2nd Canyonlands / Chesler Park. Pretty awesome options in the area.  For extra credit while there,  see if you can find Virgina Park, but please obey the signs and donít enter the research area.

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 08:03:00 PM »
Capitol Reef was amazing, even though I did no hiking back then (15 years ago).  My ride, however, was a Suburban and I had to ford a river....

Offline Bluedog

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 08:40:28 PM »
Don't forget about Bryce Canyon, you can hike it from end to end and avoid the tourists, of which are many.  Anything along Route 12 is worth a look as most areas are easily accessed by car. If you are in Boulder, eat at Hell's Backbone Grill.

Offline Txlj

• Diamondback
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 08:43:29 PM »
Its mostly for the offroading crowd, but Moab has lots to offer also.

Sent from flat land

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 09:37:38 PM »
I'm thinking about heading to Utah this spring or fall for a week or so of backpacking. I'd like to get your suggestions on where to go.

Here are my criteria:

• Not Zion (the only place in Utah I've been to, it was awesome except for the hordes near Zion Canyon)
  • I'll have a rental car so no off-roading to get to the trailhead
  • No canyoneering or climbing -- not my thing. Moderate scrambling is OK.
  • Trails are fine but not needed
  • I'm OK with breaking the week into a couple shorter trips or spending a day or two day-hiking if that's the best way to see an area

Currently looking at Canyonlands, Arches, Capitol Reef and Escalante but any place I can get my slickrock fix is fine.

Also if you can recommend planning resources that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Go to the San Rafael Swell. BLM land. Awesome country.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline Gtturner1988

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 08:49:52 AM »
All my excursions have been off road in a rental truck with zero problems. If you willing to overcome this I think it will open up a lot of opportunity for you. A few suggestions are Little Death Hollow and Wolverine canyon loop, Coyote Gulch via crack in the wall --> Jacob Hamblin Arch climb out, Bears Ears - Youngs and Lean-to Canyon from Sundance TH, Byrce Canyon - Fairyland loop (only section I'm a fan of here), Little Wild Horse Bell Canyon loop, Sheets Gulch, Kane to Bullet Canyon in Grand Gulch, Wire Pass TH to White House TH ,and many more. It all depends what your into slots, canyons, solitude, car camping, etc.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 02:19:37 PM »
All good suggestions so far.  I do think that Capital Reef is missed by many and has lots to offer.  Lower Muley Twist is a great example.  Several good resources are:

Hiking Grand Staircase-Escalante & The Glen Canyon Region- Ron Adkinson, it's a Falcon Guide but covers a lot of ground and will give you a lot of ideas.

Kelsey's Non-Technical Guide-Colorado Plateau will also give you lots of ideas but don't try to match his hiking times, he is a known nut for speed.

Hiking the Southwest's Canyon Country- Sandra Hinchman has a number of interesting "tours" with lots of places and hikes included.

Canyonlands is actually kind of hard to get some good info on but David Day's- Canyonlands National Park, Favorite Jeep Roads and Hiking Trails is really good.

The Bogley Outdoor Community is a forum like BBC with a ton of info and I have used it a bit for info and ideas but I am not sure how much current activity there is.

My website has several reports including a good loop in the Upper Paria river area.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 02:38:55 PM by mule ears »
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Lance

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 02:38:53 PM »
Canyonlands Needles district - out to Chesler park and around.  Or a Salt Creek trip, but hard to get permits.  At least one of these should be on everyone's bucket list.

Mine and I believe one of Mules Ears favorite too, Grand Gulch.

Mule Ears, elhombre, and catz know their stuff when it comes to southeastern Utah. They've done alot of trips out there. I agree with the Needles district. Awesome place and several hikes that meet your criteria. In the Needles I would recommend a loop hike through Devil's Pocket and Chesler Park. Upper Salt Creek is very scenic as well. I highly recommend the Grand Gulch too and Cedar Mesa in general. Definitely, put that area on your list. Haven't been to Escalante or San Rafael Swell yet, but people say it's awesome. I attached some Canyonlands Google Earth tracks from my GPS for you to look at. I've also made at 'Cedar Mesa Google Earth Project', similar to my Big Bend one that I can share with you (or anyone else) if you want it, just PM me. Reluctant to publicly post that one since it has 100s of ruins/pictograph locations in it.

Bogley Outdoors website is Utah centric and I'm sure they can provide you with any additional info you may need. I also recommend David Day's backcountry trails book for Utah.

A few pictures..

Devil's Pocket  - Canyonlands National Park

Upper Salt Creek - Canyonlands National Park

The Thumb - Grand Gulch / Cedar Mesa, Utah

I know you use Google Earth, so here are some 24K topo superoverlays for the Southeastern Utah region. These are similar to the Big Bend ones I made in this post.

N37W108.kmz (343.4 MB) - SE Utah / SW Colorado
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B8qrxIvDEnaSMk5JZS1oNFdfdDA

N37W109.kmz (348.2 MB) - SE Utah
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B8qrxIvDEnaSeWk3Y1BlMTU2ZmM

N37W110.kmz (348.7 MB) - SE Utah
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B8qrxIvDEnaSNlBMTkZsQXFCa0E

N38W108.kmz (352.6 MB) - SE Utah/ SW Colorado
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B8qrxIvDEnaSOFVsc1R1VENXNEE

N38W109.kmz (336.2 MB) - SE Utah
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B8qrxIvDEnaSdUQtdXNEaFhfNVU

N38W110.kmz (309.3 MB) - SE Utah
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B8qrxIvDEnaSZ0h6X1lmUnlNZDA

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 07:09:00 PM »
Freaking OUTSTANDING Lance!! Your picture of Devils Kitchen brings a tear to my eye.  Best part, my little girl recognized it immediately.   :great:
The Tolerant Left  Masters of the Universe at Apple, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, Criteo, Vimeo and Spotify removed Alex Jones and other conservative voices.  Liberals control every newspaper and cable network except Fox.

Google    "The Good Censor"

May God bless America

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 07:42:45 PM »
I don't have much to add to this but I have been to all the Utah national parks. While they were all great, I really had an appreciation for Capitol Reef. If I could only go back to 1, that's the 1 I would pick. And most people have never heard of it.
Bryce Canyon was #2.
Zion, while maybe the most beautiful, had WAY too many people.
Only spent the day at Canyonlands and Arches.

Offline DesertRatShorty

• Coyote
    • Who was Desert Rat Shorty?
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 05:37:24 PM »
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I'll do my best to put them to good use!
I roamed and rambled, and I foller'ed my footsteps
   To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
   And all around me a voice was a'sounding
   This land was made for you and me

Offline Keepa

• Roadrunner
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 11:39:41 AM »
Great suggestions from many. Here is my recommendation. Drive to Bryce, spend a night and a day there (that's all you need), then spend the rest of your week driving east along Route 12, doing day hikes and camping at night. Head for route 24, which takes you through Grand Staircase-Escalante, where there are abundant opportunities for hiking and camping, and it is spectacular. Also visit the store in the rock at the junction of routes 12 and 24.

I did this in 2013. Here are some pictures.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!