Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Vegas 2014-18: Muddy. Water.

• 37 Replies

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
Re: Vegas 2014-18: Muddy. Water.
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2018, 11:07:07 AM »

Yeah, I could do that.   :P
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2018, 12:34:36 PM »
Well done, that was some bold down climbing for sure but what goes up must come down somehow!   :eusa_clap:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Talusman

• Black Bear
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2018, 02:39:44 PM »
Dayum!!!!!!!

So impressed. Still on my Bucket list but the photos you captured of the falls were some of the very best I have ever seen.

And that climb up the needle. No words.

Well done sir! Very well done.
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

Offline mbender

• Coyote
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2018, 06:45:58 PM »
Thanks for the nice words, folks. Now, let's finish this...

Offline mbender

• Coyote
Vegas 2014-18: Muddy. Water.
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2018, 06:46:47 PM »

Chapter 7: Drink The Water

300 miles to go.
Having an extra gorgeous day in Arizona in the month of April is not a Bad Thing. I opt to spend a relaxing day exploring petroglyphs in the canyons near Gold Canyon. Then I pack up and saddle up for the drive to Las Vegas. I arrive in Vegas with plenty of time to drive out to the Muddy Wilderness to check out the road to the trailhead. Everything is in order, tomorrow I finally Get Muddy.

April 20, 2018: 4/20: High On Muddy

It's been a long time coming, and a long time to get here. Once again I allocate two days in the schedule to ensure that I can complete this climb. A weather system came through Vegas last night, and I was concerned about the high winds affecting my climb. But by the time I arrive at the trailhead: perfect day!

So let's review my requirements for this adventure:

1. A more moderate time of the year
      It couldn't be a nicer day,
   2. Acclimation to the arid Mojave
      I believe I'm good, but I'll bring extra water JIC,
   3. A vehicle to make it out to the trailhead
      The Taco Supreme is a BOSS!!

Now let's be real, 3 1/2 years ago Muddy Peak would have been a nice little notch in my hiking pole; but after all the experience I've gained since - and especially after Weavers Needle - Muddy is a mere bump in the road. But underestimating Muddy will not happen, because:

A: It's a mountain,
   B: I'm in the middle of nowhere, alone, no assistance,
   C: I came a long way for this,
   D: This time it's personal. I have to reclaim my dignity and my manhood,
   E: It's a mountain.

I pack the same essentials as I did last time, but added four extra liters of water. Two liters are positioned in the Hidden Valley just before the final hike up and over the pass out of the valley. Two more liters positioned on the other side of Hidden Valley at the bottom of the gully leading up to the ridge run. I'll use this water to top-off the reservoir in my backpack before heading up the gully. This is overkill, and I fully expect to dump out all this extra water, but I'm not taking any chances.

The pictures, description, and route were all described in the first chapter; and the Wilderness hasn't changed much since. But this time I bring moving pictures! Enjoy the tour through this fantastic, yet remote region that is clearly what is best about Vegas...

Chapter 8: All The Long Way Home

But wait! I'm not done yet! I still have to get out of here!

Sit back, ride along with me in my Taco Supreme on the rocky road out of the Muddy Mountains Wilderness... as I ride off into the sunset...

The End!

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2018, 02:30:20 PM »
I'm just floored by this trip report. The photos, the writing, the underlying events they portray, and your attitude toward it all. Amazing. You live a very rich life. Your work reminds me of Greg Childs, David Roberts, Jon Krakauer. You could publish this, Mark. Thanks for sharing it with us. Keep it up; I think you'll always find a hungry and supportive audience.

I get the difference in Muddy, separated as the two attempts were by all the intervening experiences, but still it was satisfying to go along for the ride as you finally checked that one off your list. And Weaver's Needle....man, that was one for the books. I definitely puckered around the 15 minute mark. I couldn't have done that. My favorite moment, though, is the triumphant arms at 8:38. Again, thanks for taking us along. Looking forward to others down the road.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline mbender

• Coyote
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2018, 11:10:40 PM »
I'm just floored by this trip report. The photos, the writing, the underlying events they portray, and your attitude toward it all. Amazing. You live a very rich life. Your work reminds me of Greg Childs, David Roberts, Jon Krakauer. You could publish this, Mark. Thanks for sharing it with us. Keep it up; I think you'll always find a hungry and supportive audience.

I get the difference in Muddy, separated as the two attempts were by all the intervening experiences, but still it was satisfying to go along for the ride as you finally checked that one off your list. And Weaver's Needle....man, that was one for the books. I definitely puckered around the 15 minute mark. I couldn't have done that. My favorite moment, though, is the triumphant arms at 8:38. Again, thanks for taking us along. Looking forward to others down the road.

Well HMoD, those are probably the nicest comments that I've ever heard. Thank you, I really appreciate it. It means a lot because this whole report means a lot to me. But those "triumphant arms"... yeah, that feeling didn't last long, as I was stressin hard about having to go back down. I couldn't enjoy my time on top; thinking the whole time about the descent. I couldn't help but feel as though I received a little help... hence the title: "Angels Carry Me".  :engel016:

Now, I need to go and do it again!!!!  :celebrate:

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2018, 03:22:07 PM »
 :great:
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!