Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Wichita Mts Oklahoma

• 51 Replies

Offline bbbrain

• Coyote
Re: Wichita Mts Oklahoma
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 08:37:02 PM »
fraulein - here are a few more pics.  but the best thing to do is go to flickr or you tube and do a search for "wichita mountains."  also try summitpost.org/wichitamountains.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58229769@N04/sets/72157625818512370/

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 09:52:34 PM »
fraulein - here are a few more pics.  but the best thing to do is go to flickr or you tube and do a search for "wichita mountains."  also try summitpost.org/wichitamountains.

Danke, junger Mann! really beautiful, can't wait to get out there!

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 09:55:25 PM »

summitpost pics are the best!!

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 09:57:53 PM »
The Wichita Range was eventually brought under the jurisdiction of the Fort Sill Agency, located just south of the mountains. Fort Sill was the reservation to which the Comanche, Kiowa and some of the Apache were relocated. The Kiowa chief, Lone Wolf, the Comanche Quanah Parker, and even Geronimo, were residents of the Fort Sill Reservation.

Mining took place in the Wichitas, although it petered out at the beginning of the 20th century. The Doris campground began its life as a mining camp. In 1901 the refuge was split off of Fort Sill Agency and established as the Wichita Forest Reserve. In 1905 President Theodore Roosevelt altered its status to a Game Preserve when he visited the Wichitas. It was then added to the fledgling National Wildlife Refuge system, which had been established in 1903. Bison were introduced in 1907 and elk were transferred from the Elk Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming shortly thereafter.

The 8,750-acre Wichita Mountains Wilderness was established in 1970. A subset of the Wichita Mountains Wilderness, the Charonís Garden Wilderness contains 5,700 acres. The remainder of the wilderness is found in the North Mountain Unit, which is found in a part of the refuge that does not have public access.

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 08:37:24 AM »
very nice, Frau; I knew noting of the Wichita's
QS
you see, you can learn from us too, not just the other way around!

Offline dkerr24

• Mountain Lion
  • The worst day hiking > the best day in a cubicle.
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2011, 08:37:54 AM »
I wish I could gain access to the North unit of the park.  That entire half is off limits to the general public. 

They periodically move herds of buffalo from the south side to the north, and I was lucky enough to be driving down the main access highway during this 'buffalo drive'.  It was pretty cool seeing dozens of head of buffalo stampeding through the gate leading to the north half of the park.

Darin

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 08:49:24 AM »
I wish I could gain access to the North unit of the park.  That entire half is off limits to the general public. 

They periodically move herds of buffalo from the south side to the north, and I was lucky enough to be driving down the main access highway during this 'buffalo drive'.  It was pretty cool seeing dozens of head of buffalo stampeding through the gate leading to the north half of the park.

Darin
yeah, i guess, they have their reasons for limiting access! All in all this seems an amazing place and i can't wait to get out there and  it's much closer to BR,LA than BIBE for me! So, it might become my "playground" for the times i cannot make it to BIBE!!

Offline Picacho

• Black Bear
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2011, 01:40:09 PM »

Darin

They do have periodic tours into the northern half of the wilderness.  You have to sign-up.  They have a set schedule.  You can't roam around freely as the tour is guided, but some access is better than none. 

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2011, 03:24:55 PM »

Darin

They do have periodic tours into the northern half of the wilderness.  You have to sign-up.  They have a set schedule.  You can't roam around freely as the tour is guided, but some access is better than none. 
great to know! I will look into it, before i go! Decided i want to be there when the Spring Flowers start emerging and blooming, but BEFORE the Spring crowds arrive! When would that be,approx.??

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2011, 03:33:02 PM »
very nice, Frau; I knew noting of the Wichita's
QS
you see, you can learn from us too, not just the other way around!

Frau, my entire relationship with BBC has been a "learning curve; my experience is in places, routes, history, adventure. From this wonderful Forum I have learned so much about innovative gear, technology, new backpacking options, et.al. People like me who have been doing it for so long tend to get "stuck in our ways". Because of the BBC Forum my pack weight has decreased from 55-60 lbs to 40-45 lbs; I have new sleeping systems; improvements all around.
Re photography I have learned  to post from "photobucket"; editing (to the extreme), conversion of "ancient" slides to DVD, then  to posting on the Forum.
I have worn out most of my old hiking companions but am finding an abundance of "like minded" amigos on the Forum.
With "constructive criticism" around in abundance, I will never go wrong!
Yes, I can learn from all of you, while sharing my lifetime of experiences. Thanks for putting up with my occasional resistance to change!
QS
resistance to change?? You must be kidding! From what i can absorb through the chat, you are a very flexible, intuitive individual! All that aside: like you , I value the forum for all the info, links,pics, wonderful individuals,who love the outdoors and respect it , as we "oldtimers" do! My experiences have mainly been in the Mts of Bavaria and Austria,American NE and American NW, so the SW, Texas SW is a new discovery for me and i am totally engrossed in it, wishing, i  had been one of the European Pioneers of the 19th Century venturing out West to the  Austin Colonies in TX, granted by the Mexican Government!!

Offline Burn Ban

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2011, 04:08:21 PM »
wishing, i  had been one of the European Pioneers of the 19th Century venturing out West to the  Austin Colonies in TX, granted by the Mexican Government!!

good lord , NO. i'm grateful my ancestors came here in those days, but having read much about texas in those days; i'm happy to not have any part of that.

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2011, 04:25:29 PM »
wishing, i  had been one of the European Pioneers of the 19th Century venturing out West to the  Austin Colonies in TX, granted by the Mexican Government!!

good lord , NO. i'm grateful my ancestors came here in those days, but having read much about texas in those days; i'm happy to not have any part of that.

Burn Ban , i understand your horror, but don't you agree that your ancestors must have been INCREDIBLY tough people to survive and stay and continue the line? When did they immigrate? How did they get there?
I am an Immigrant of recent years, and i must say, it was very tough for me too, though nothing compared to what those people went through!! We have become "weaklings" due to all the comfort and Technology we are surrounded by! Maybe therefore the attraction to BIBE (for some of us) and similar experiences, but we always can crawl back into our cars and make it within hours back to "civilization"!!

chisos_muse

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2011, 06:11:27 PM »

Burn Ban , i understand your horror, but don't you agree that your ancestors must have been INCREDIBLY tough people to survive and stay and continue the line? When did they immigrate? How did they get there?
I am an Immigrant of recent years, and i must say, it was very tough for me too, though nothing compared to what those people went through!! We have become "weaklings" due to all the comfort and Technology we are surrounded by! Maybe therefore the attraction to BIBE (for some of us) and similar experiences, but we always can crawl back into our cars and make it within hours back to "civilization"!!

Ok Richard, get ready to split this one off...

We're not weaklings....we're just as tough and stronger than ever! Problem is, some people CHOOSE (there's the ticket) to be LAZY. Things are just a bit different nowadays but I know people who still work very hard, and care about their bodies and surroundings. I love technology! It think it's great what we have accomplished in the past few hundred years. The settlers didn't live very long and often died from infections and childbirth.

I admire our ancestors and sympathize with what they had to go through, but I would never want to live like that. I don't think they would want us to either after working so hard to try and make this place better for their children and so on....

So many people STILL suffer today due to war, poverty & famine...we don't need to regress but should always move forward and strive to be better humans together and individually.  :icon_biggrin:

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2011, 06:17:13 PM »
Awful lot of discussion about a trip report for which the trip hasn't occurred yet. :eusa_whistle:

In case some of you noticed my absence from the Chat and maybe missed me: i am getting ready for my 1st camping/hiking trip to Wichita Mts. Oklahoma. Appreciate feed-back from those, who have been there!! Thanks, Frau

Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline Frau

• Coyote
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2011, 08:57:51 PM »

Ok Richard, get ready to split this one off...

We're not weaklings....we're just as tough and stronger than ever! Problem is, some people CHOOSE (there's the ticket) to be LAZY. Things are just a bit different nowadays but I know people who still work very hard, and care about their bodies and surroundings. I love technology! It think it's great what we have accomplished in the past few hundred years. The settlers didn't live very long and often died from infections and childbirth.

I admire our ancestors and sympathize with what they had to go through, but I would never want to live like that. I don't think they would want us to either after working so hard to try and make this place better for their children and so on....

So many people STILL suffer today due to war, poverty & famine...we don't need to regress but should always move forward and strive to be better humans together and individually.  :icon_biggrin:

good point Muse, specially agree with the last sentence!! Don't forget, I am a "greenhorn" in this country, but willing to learn and to adapt!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!