Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Balmorhea Info and a little commentary.

• 9 Replies

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
Balmorhea Info and a little commentary.
« on: August 10, 2015, 04:36:59 PM »
There are some changes going on a Balmorhea that we found out this month.  It is on their web site, but why look if you didn't ever expect it to change.  The pool now closes at 6:00 in the evening.  Meaning, if you leave home and drive out there thinking you will get to at least swim some in the evening, you will be rejected by a locked gate.  We were fortunate enough to hit the pool on our way out of the state, then again when we came back to our wonderful Texas.  We had a nice 15 + minute conversation with the superintendent on the returning visit.  He is a very nice guy and was very forth coming in our talk about the future of the park.  Cookie and I both came away thinking he is the right guy for the job out there.

He said they have received money to renovate the hotel in the next year or so.  They are going to get new plumbing and A/C work done, along with a new roof.  They are going to keep the original CCC structure, but modernize a bunch of stuff.  Therefore, the hotel will be closed for over 6 months  in the near future.  Also, they are going to have to totally renovate the pool bathhouse.  This will require the pool to close for a long time.  I was sad to hear this but I know the bathrooms are in need of desperate repair.  He also said they are going to get a gate system to better "capture" gate revenue. 

The most interesting part of our conversation for me was about why he has decided to close the pool at 6:00, instead of sundown.  He stated that the place has seen a huge increase in attendance, and with it, a comparable  increase in trash left behind.  He said more people simply pick up their stuff and leave behind food trash and other things like diapers, that find their way into the pool.  :great:  He said he can not find any "qualified" people to hire.  He is so short on staff, he needs the extra time to clean the pool and take care of keeping the park in order.  He said that if he had a few extra people, they could keep it open the regular hours, but there is no one "qualified" to hire.    He only has enough people to keep it open till 6:00.   I can understand, as superintendent, it's not his job description to start working at 7:30 am and then make sure the place is closed at 8:30 or 9:00 every night 7 days a week.  He gave one example of  a maintenance job he can't fill for $40K / year, with state benefits and place to live, that no one can qualify.  He turned away an applicant just that day.

While picking my stuff up at 5:50 to leave the oasis of cool water at the hottest part of the day, it occurred to me how illustrative this situation is about the state of the world we live in.  I spent 2 relaxing days in a park and hotel that was built by real men who left their families and traveled from all over the country just for a chance to EARN money working for the CCC.  Often times, they got in fist fights to be the first in line.  The government gave them the job and they WORKED for the money.  Ironically, the government now just GIVES men money not to go out and find work.  The unemployed are so comfortable with free housing, free health care, free schooling (daycare), and free steak and shrimp from HEB bought with their Lone Star Card that I really wonder if San Soloman courts and, Big Bend Lodge for that matter, could ever be built built again.   93,000,000 Americans are unemployed, and Balmorhea can't get qualified applicants to work there.  Everyone must vacate the pool at the best time to swim.  It at least provided a teachable moment for my little girl. 

So don't plan anything without checking the web site for the latest closures.  And if you need a job.....

First Russian Collusion, then Obstruction, then illegal payment to Stormy Daniels, then tax returns subpoenaed. Now no formal vote on impeachment for a 30 min. phone call to Ukraine

No crime. No evidence, just more secret investigations

Drain the Swamp.  America will survive.  God Bless America

Offline eddie

• Jack Rabbit
Re: Balmorhea Info and a little commentary.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 08:41:53 PM »
I sadly totally agree with your observations, and Thomas Sowell's quote, about the state of the world, at least the United States. Not sure how we go about changing it, other than electing the right people.

Online catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 09:50:43 AM »
The comments are both baseless and useless.  Maybe, just maybe, he has difficulty filling some positions because of where Balmorhea is located.

Please keep politics off the Board.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline maketo

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 10:01:05 AM »
Thank you for the story. It was nice until you started coloring it with your politically affiliated crayons :)

I checked out the position there - the only requirement past 8th grade education is possession or ability to obtain a "C" class driver's license within a 30 day period. I think this would be possible for many, many people. My guess is that nobody wants to live there - it may be nice to visit but these kind of jobs in these kinds of locations have traditionally been difficult to fill. Why? 'Cause unless you live there and are in a desperate need of a job (not much population there to start with so not a big pool of applicants), you would have to make a cross-country move for a job that, if it does not work out, leaves you high and dry in an area with no other jobs to choose from.

Offline Quatro

• Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 01:02:30 PM »
We were fortunate enough to hit the pool on our way out of the state, then again when we came back to our wonderful Texas.

The Hombre/Cookie/Hiker family usually has pretty interesting and adventurous trips.  New Mexico or Colorado or somewhere else it isn't 102+  degrees, maybe?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - HST

Offline maketo

• Coyote
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 01:24:49 PM »
The position in question also apparently requires a year in a commercial laundry/home cleaning facility. Maybe that's the reason why he can't get people out there? Did the super say what the problem was with the applicants?

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 02:09:40 PM »
We were fortunate enough to hit the pool on our way out of the state, then again when we came back to our wonderful Texas.

The Hombre/Cookie/Hiker family usually has pretty interesting and adventurous trips.  New Mexico or Colorado or somewhere else it isn't 102+  degrees, maybe?

6 days ago I was on top of Mt. Ouray.  The only skin exposed was my cheeks.  I had to stop numerous times on the way up, kneel down, and wait for the wind to pass.  Ended up with wind burn that made my cheeks bright red for 3 days.  Hands were so cold I had to use my teeth to open up my "Summit Snickers".   

Cleaned up all our gear on the patio, and the temperature was 106.  Yahooo!

The position in question also apparently requires a year in a commercial laundry/home cleaning facility. Maybe that's the reason why he can't get people out there? Did the super say what the problem was with the applicants?

The super is a good man, and he said he does not want to hire someone who will be more trouble than help.  He has yet to find anyone able to pass that litmus test.  He said he can't find someone who actually would "care" about the resource.

Did you read the title?
First Russian Collusion, then Obstruction, then illegal payment to Stormy Daniels, then tax returns subpoenaed. Now no formal vote on impeachment for a 30 min. phone call to Ukraine

No crime. No evidence, just more secret investigations

Drain the Swamp.  America will survive.  God Bless America

Online catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »

Did you read the title?
[/quote]

I did.  "commentary" comes in many forms.  These were political. 
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 11:08:44 AM »

Did you read the title?

I did.  "commentary" comes in many forms.  These were political.
[/quote]

LOL!  Have you not read any of the other posts and comments, on a myriad of subjects, on this forum?
 :icon_biggrin:

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 11:21:09 PM »
"The government gave them the job and they WORKED for the money.  Ironically, the government now just GIVES men money not to go out and find work.  The unemployed are so comfortable with free housing, free health care, free schooling (daycare), and free steak and shrimp from HEB bought with their Lone Star Card that I really wonder if San Soloman courts and, Big Bend Lodge for that matter, could ever be built built again. "

Thank you for your comments, as little respect for humanity as they belie. Also, keep your jackass politics off this board.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!