Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Black Gap visit

• 24 Replies

Offline Joe

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Big Bender since 1972
Terlingua
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 08:58:19 PM »
Quote from: "wilding"
...when I do a seminar in Fort Davis in August. I have visited BB off and on since one of the first Chili Cook-offs (the original) in 1973.

Are you going to the Hummingbird Festival in Fort Davis in August?

I was at the Chili Cook-off in 1972, 73, and 74.  If I remember correctly, Hondo Crouch and Asleep at the Wheel played at Villa de la Mina during the cook-off in 1973 or maybe 1974.
The real desert is a land which reveals its true character only to those who come with courage, tolerance and understanding. - Randall Henderson

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/el-saloacuten/joe-a-memorial/

Offline wilding

• Jack Rabbit
discussion of SA water is best you got?
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 06:59:59 PM »
people, peolpe, people - what happened to the conversation about surviving Black Gap, or even anything about surviving the Bend at all?!  . . if you can't handle water that tastes  a little different than what you are used to - I am wondering how you survive a drive from Alpine to Study Butte.
Moderator note:  posts on San Antonio water quality have been moved here

I heard Black Gap is good place to see black bear - then someone said go up into the chisos. I saw film of one inside city of Alpine. I would like to see one. I have grizzly, brown and NC black bear on my list of viewing.

BigBendHiker

Re: discussion of SA water is best you got?
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 07:15:37 PM »
people, peolpe, people - what happened to the conversation about surviving Black Gap, or even anything about surviving the Bend at all?!  . . if you can't handle water that tastes  a little different than what you are used to - I am wondering how you survive a drive from Alpine to Study Butte.

I heard Black Gap is good place to see black bear - then someone said go up into the chisos. I saw film of one inside city of Alpine. I would like to see one. I have grizzly, brown and NC black bear on my list of viewing.

Sorry about that, Wilding :(

And, thanks for re-directing us...we sometimes get carried away and run off on a tangent chasing rabbits and other things that have nothing to do with the conversation...

BBH

SHANEA

Moderatorless...
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 08:45:47 PM »
I guess we are moderatorless.  Most humble apologies.  I'll accept my punishment and be banished to the Chisos Mountain to serve my repentance.

Black Bear - yes, BGWMA is the ONLY place that I've ever seen a live bear - outside of a zoo or a rug (rug wasn't alive).  Bounding down a hill right in front of my vehicle.  I've got a fuzzy photo I'll find and post - you will swear it was / is the BGWMA BigFoot.  SEE COMMENTS on always keeping the camera at the ready - bears won't generally stop to pose.   :lol:

chisos_muse

Re: discussion of SA water is best you got?
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 09:23:39 PM »

:lol:

Yes, Wilding....you have discovered that perhaps David should have named this the "Big Bend Super Tangent Chat"

Hopefully you don't hold that too much against us... :wink:

There are many intelligent people here who have much to share 8)

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
Black Gap visit
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 09:47:25 PM »
I'm pretty much use to it Wilding...ehh,sometimes i even get carried away with it.

Thing is i spent more time reading than posting, because i have to reflect what i'm reading.
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline Bobcat

• Mountain Lion
Black Gap visit
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 06:20:50 AM »
Quote from: "homerboy2u2"
I'm pretty much use to it Wilding...ehh,sometimes i even get carried away with it.

Thing is i spent more time reading than posting, because i have to reflect what i'm reading.

Don't reflect too much, Homer.  You can cure that habit by immediately doing some more tangential posting.  That's what I do : /
Location Location Location

Offline Joe

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Big Bender since 1972
Tangents
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 11:25:44 AM »
Tangentially onward!  :D
The real desert is a land which reveals its true character only to those who come with courage, tolerance and understanding. - Randall Henderson

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/el-saloacuten/joe-a-memorial/

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Tangents
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 07:21:58 PM »
Quote from: "Joe"
Tangentially onward!

To infinity and beyond!
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

chisos_muse

Re: Tangents
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 08:48:49 PM »
Quote from: "presidio"
Quote from: "Joe"
Tangentially onward!

To infinity and beyond!

To Bed, Bath and Beyond! (if you need some cheap towels for camping...)

SEE, I included CAMPING in that tangent! :roll:

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!