Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Chinati Mountains

• 4 Replies

SHANEA

Chinati Mountains
« on: August 01, 2010, 04:39:31 PM »
Be a pretty short thread.  I have no clue as to the current status of the Chinati Mountains SNA under the auspices of TPWD.

With the State of Texas and subsequently TPWD being broke with layoffs at State Agencies, I'm sure there is nothing in the coffers to even attempt to get this thing ramped up. 

I tried to get some answers from TPWD awhile back, not much for my efforts except it is closed.

Lost my primary contact at TPWD BBRSP over the burrow/donkey/mule fiasco.    BBRSP was supposed to "manage" this known as Chinati Mountains - located between Presidio and Marfa along the back roads and up through Pinto Canyon.  Wonderful drive.   Lots of twisting turning switchback roads with outstanding views.  Dirt/gravel road BTW. 

Not sure if Chinati Peak is within the boundaries of the SNA or not, but I don't believe it is.

The very last I head from a reputable source several years ago that the issue of access to the property was the major roadblock.  If I recall correctly, as a SNA hunting would be allowed and the owner of the property where access would have to be obtained through was opposed to hunting and would not grant the public ROW into the SNA.  TPWD has access into the property for management purposes, but no way to get you and I in there.

I'll make some other inquiries at TPWD to see what I can discover, but let's face it, with the budgetary shortfalls of this Grand State of Texas, there just isn't any money to do anything with right now.  Granted, an SNA doesn't require the infrastructure of a park of restrooms, water, phones, tent pads, fire rings, etc.  It would be nice if general access was just provided or even limited access several times a year.

Does anyone else have anything else to offer for the benefit of Chinati Mountains SNA?  Property boundary maps, SNA maps, updated information, etc.?

Offline lparent

• Coyote
    • http://www.laurenceparent.com
Re: Chinati Mountains
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 11:21:52 AM »
It's been awhile since this last post was made, but I finally have a little time to post a reply.  The last I heard, TPWD was trying to get permanent ROW access to the southern end of the state natural area.  I think there has been some progress on that.  The south end of the SNA is very much desert with extremely rugged off-trail hiking to get up high into the mountains.  The highest peak, Chinati Peak, is not part of the SNA.  However, even though it doesn't include the peak, the prettiest part of the SNA is the higher country.  It is most easily accessed off the Pinto Canyon Road, not from the south.  However, TPWD does not have ROW access to it off Pinto Canyon Road.  The owner of the property between the road and the SNA is not keen on granting such a ROW.  He's a very conservationist friend of mine and is worried about fires, poaching, and trespassing onto neighboring private property.  With current state budgetary problems, his concerns are well grounded.  The state does not have the money to adequately manage and police the area.

SHANEA

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 05:50:26 PM »
With current state budgetary problems, his concerns are well grounded.  The state does not have the money to adequately manage and police the area.

With the Devils River fiasco, one would think TPWD is harvesting money. 

SHANEA

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 05:51:25 PM »
so let's give it back to the Mellon Foundation,

Let's just get TPWD to fix it.  Get them to make it a priority.

Offline lparent

• Coyote
    • http://www.laurenceparent.com
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 08:54:33 AM »
I'm not advocating giving Chinati back to the Mellon Foundation.  However, I don't know what the solution is.  Texas is not good about supporting its parks.  Much of the dedicated sporting goods tax that's supposed to go to TPWD gets routed into the black hole of the general fund.  Regardless of whether my friend decided to grant the ROW, the funding problem remains.  When I revised my state parks guide 2-3 years ago, there were a lot less state parks than in the original edition.  Some had been closed, passed to other agencies, etc.

I'm tangentally involved in the Devils River land transfer.  I photographed the property for the broker (a former Nature Conservancy guy) working on making the exchange.  The land that the state wants to trade for is a much nicer piece of property than the existing state natural area.  It has something like 10 miles of river frontage, versus the 1.5 miles in the current park.  That deal is being done largely with donations, not state funds.  I highly support the trade.

Quicksilver, it's neat that a family member once owned Chinati Peak.  I had the privilege of getting permission a year ago to climb to the summit.  Really beautiful place.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!