Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Devils River

• 5 Replies

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Devils River
« on: February 14, 2018, 10:20:04 PM »
Does anyone have any experience or information about running the Devils River?
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: Devils River
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 06:03:06 AM »
Louis Albach has a guide for the Devils River. TPWD has info as well.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 06:09:50 AM »
There has been a report or two from folks here about running it.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 07:56:44 AM »
Are you asking about the river or the state park?  TPWD has the best info online.  Floating the river has become more restrictive in that you need a special permit (free, I think) and you can only camp in designated areas.   Some nice videos on You Tube.
I've looked at hiking the loop around the park.  Maybe combine that with a trip to Seminole Canyon, but the road into Devils is like the one into BBRSP - 22 miles of gravel/dirt.

Offline congahead

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 08:32:50 AM »
Did it last summer with my son and some of his friends. Three days, two nights. Put in at Baker's Crossing and took out at Gerald Bailey's (I think that's his name). IIRC, it was ~20 - 25 miles. Absolutely beautiful. And pretty demanding - everyone flipped a few times. My son's friend handled all the logistics - I just showed up - but I think the logistics of this trip are even more complicated than most floats. We stayed the night before at the Who Cares? Bed and Breakfast. One of the local outfitters took us to the put-in; Bailey took us back to the b&b after the trip.

On day one I slipped while pulling my kayak through a shallow channel. Fell backward awkwardly over my yak and tore rib cartilage. Hurt like a mother. Spent the rest of the trip eating ibuprofen and waiting for it to be over. Got a shot of morphine when I got home. Definitely Type 2 fun. My companions are all hard-core fisherman and were pleased with the fishing. I even caught a bass (before my injury), and I don't know much about fishing.
"The animals here will generally try to avoid you, but the plants will hurt you every chance they get."

Offline get lost

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 09:27:03 AM »
Iíve done the 26 mile trip multiple times with a few buddies.( Bakers  Crossing to Gerald Baileys). First Time we did the trip was in the 90ís, I was amazed at the natural beauty & the water clarity. There arenít any dams on this river & it is a great ride. Dolan Falls is the biggest waterfall in Texas & the springs above feed the river 200,000 gallons per minute. You must portage here, right side in my opinion is easier. 2 years ago was the last time we did it, at around mile 7, where Dolan creek meets the river. The river dropped significantly exposing boulders that are normally under water. We like some comforts of home& like to cook great meals therefore are canoe is packed & not real light. Dragging the canoe through pools that we could normally paddle, was exhausting & wore holes in the boat. We got to Geraldís a day later than expected. Have not been down as far as the newer Diablo unit. Maybe next trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!