Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Devils River - open on weekends only?

• 9 Replies

Offline HJS

• Kangaroo Rat
Devils River - open on weekends only?
« on: August 24, 2011, 11:23:20 AM »
I checked the Devils River State Natural Area site today and saw this:

Beginning September 1, 2011, the Park will be open from 8 a.m. Friday - 5 p.m. Monday. The gate will be locked from 5 p.m. Monday - 8 a.m. Friday. Primitive campsites by the river are available 7 days a week for paddlers who have come down the river only; permits are required.

Does anyone know anything about this? I was planning a Mon-Wed trip to the park later this fall and this is pretty disappointing. I don't understand why they would limit availability, the park isn't really "staffed" anyway, is it?

Offline MyLifeOutdoors

• Coyote
    • My Life Outdoors
Re: Devils River - open on weekends only?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 11:29:06 AM »
We can't be trusted....we might go down there and mess everything up.
My Life Outdoors: bloging outdoor adventures in Texas and surrounding states.

SHANEA

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 05:10:57 PM »
Simple.  Budget cuts.

Sept 1st is the start of the new state fiscal year. 

TPWD saw the budget slashed by 20.8% or $145,460,000 some odd dollars and a couple of hundred jobss will go away or will not be filled.

Your going to notice a lot of other changes within TPWD as well - and of course this is not the only agency to have the budget slashed.  A lot of things will change on Sept 1st. 

http://www.tpwf.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=150:march-22-2010&catid=59:front-page

Ya know that sporting goods "tax" you pay... http://www.environmenttexas.org/newsroom/preservation/preservation-campaign-news/parks-advocates-decry-parks-and-wildlife-budget-cuts
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:54:16 PM by SHANEA »

Ray52

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 05:22:55 PM »
Good info Shane.  Thanks for posting.

SHANEA

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 08:30:28 AM »

Offline MyLifeOutdoors

• Coyote
    • My Life Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 11:11:29 AM »
So if they are cutting jobs is Kerr going to lose his?
My Life Outdoors: bloging outdoor adventures in Texas and surrounding states.

SHANEA

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 01:07:49 PM »
Don't have a clue of who keeps/loses their jobs.  That's always confidential type of stuff.

Nice pics there QS.   I long to get out there and poke around sometime...

Offline HJS

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 03:13:25 PM »

SHANEA

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 09:19:34 PM »
TPWD news release from this afternoon:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20110825c

Bingo Bango Bongo... 

Pretty sad, but I don't trust the legislature not to raid these funds for the general revenue.  Don't trust them one bit.  They take money from the specialty "conservation" lisc. plates and of course the sporting goods tax.  Why would I trust them not to take money from this pool of funds?  I wouldn't.

House Bill 1301 passed in the recent session means that when Texans get motor vehicle registration renewal notices in the mail, they’ll see a new option to donate $5 or more for state parks. The option will first appear on January renewal notices going out in December. Drivers can also donate when registering at their county tax office or online in counties which offer online payment. The Texas Comptroller estimated this will earn about $3.2 million for the biennium, and this revenue must be raised to avoid further reductions in park operations and staffing.

And I don't care what the text says as the Legislature and the LBB (Legislative Budget Board) has proven time and again they will do as they please and not what they told the voters.   :eusa_wall:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/82R/billtext/pdf/HB01301F.pdf#navpanes=0

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 09:07:53 PM »
Of course, Texas has a long history of prolific, reckless spending on state parks, so it's no surprise that they will be cut. 
Wake me when it's time to go.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!