Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

National Park Ammo missing

• 10 Replies

Offline DuneYeti

• Roadrunner
National Park Ammo missing
« on: February 16, 2017, 12:59:48 PM »
http://www.guns.com/2017/02/13/nps-has-stock-of-ammo-stolen-from-crater-lake-national-park/

Remind me not to little or cut switchbacks in this (or any other) national park if they are packing this much ammo for "law enforcement purposes".

"The less you want, the richer you are."

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
Re: National Park Ammo missing
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 01:08:01 PM »
I was just there last summer getting my passport stamped.  Seems like a benign place. I could see that sort of cache at a place like Big Bend on the border.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Everything is in walking distance if you have enough time.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 01:51:45 PM »
http://www.guns.com/2017/02/13/nps-has-stock-of-ammo-stolen-from-crater-lake-national-park/

Remind me not to little or cut switchbacks in this (or any other) national park if they are packing this much ammo for "law enforcement purposes".

10 LE rangers + 10,000 rounds of ammo= Not very much ammo. (especially if it's a lot of handgun ammo). LE personnel practice regularly and it is very common to shoot 100+ rounds per practice session. Each LE Ranger could easily go through a couple of hundred rounds each month.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 02:28:30 PM »
Another reason to envy rangers!
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 09:04:43 PM »
It seems like a lot, but as BK pointed out, split that between all the rangers and regular practice, you can blow through that pretty quick.
I did a defensive pistol class and I went through 450 rounds in a few hours. Man that was fun

Sent from my Pixel XL using Big Bend Chat mobile app

everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 08:22:32 AM »
It seems like a lot, but as BK pointed out, split that between all the rangers and regular practice, you can blow through that pretty quick.
I did a defensive pistol class and I went through 450 rounds in a few hours. Man that was fun

I think I have more than that (10,000) myself....
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline bcampbell

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 07:05:49 PM »
That is not that much. Just one individual who shoots regularly and often would use that much up in a short amount of time.

Sent from my iPad using Big Bend Chat

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 11:21:52 PM »

:eusa_clap:

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 06:53:06 PM »

:eusa_clap:

Yeah, the amount of ammo that agencies stockpile represents about a year's worth of practice, duty ammo and some extra. It's old news to anyone that uses firearms, and a terrifying amount to those that don't.

However, I always marvel at those who talk about how many, what kind, etc., of firearms/ammo/other weapons one possesses. I especially am perplexed at those who post photos of said items.

Why advertise hardware and capabilities? The only folks that need to know that kind of thing are the owner (and close family; i.e. in the same house) and those who earn a demonstration of the business end by their profound criminal stupidity. That's why all the hubbub over open carry is silly. Sure, you can do it but why show everyone? The element of surprise is a superior advantage not to be given up casually.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline bcampbell

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 11:13:29 PM »
I used to have firearms. But they were all lost in a tragic boating accident.

Sent from my iPad using Big Bend Chat

Offline Txlj

• Coyote
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 06:43:05 AM »
I hate it why that happens.

Sent from flat land

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2017 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!