Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

TPWD Buying more land in BBRSP despite Budget Cuts?

• 1 Replies

Offline MyLifeOutdoors

• Coyote
    • My Life Outdoors
TPWD Buying more land in BBRSP despite Budget Cuts?
« on: August 27, 2011, 10:30:18 AM »
Someone help me understand this...I read today that TPWD will take necessary measures to buy 520 additional acres in BBRSP along the river. Which sounds great...except they cant keep the parks they have open all the time, are giving other parks over to local municipalities, don't have the funds to open Chinati mountains SNA, will probably never open Devil's River Ranch, and now they are laying off 200 something people.

Is it just me or does TPWD have all their priorities mixed up? or are they just buying land to keep for themselves?

http://alpinedailyplanet.typepad.com/alpine-daily-planet/2011/08/big-bend-ranch-state-park-may-add-520-acre-stretch-along-river.html
My Life Outdoors: bloging outdoor adventures in Texas and surrounding states.

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 48 years.
Re: TPWD Buying more land in BBRSP despite Budget Cuts?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 11:16:24 AM »
It could be a case of striking while the iron is hot, if the land is available now while the economy is at a low, then that would be the time to buy it. If a private party or a commercial concern where to buy it, the land may be tied up for generations as it is handed down over and over.

TPWD mission statement: "To manage and conserve the natural and cultural resources of Texas and to provide hunting, fishing and outdoor recreation opportunities for the use and enjoyment of present and future generations".

It seems that this purchase is for the future generations, with any luck some of the current ones may get to enjoy it as well.
Fort Worth

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!