Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

visiting big bend ranch state park in July

• 7 Replies

Offline riverdogrescuer

• Kangaroo Rat
visiting big bend ranch state park in July
« on: May 22, 2019, 07:02:52 PM »
Is there any area of the Big Bend Ranch state park that is at an elevation that makes it cooler than the surrounding desert floor like Chisos in the national park.  I know how hot it gets in July, I've been before, but the milky way is in her full glory and that's what I chase.  Just checking out the state park vs the national park.  I drive a stock Jeep wrangler JK unlimited, so I can go all but the most extreme places.  Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me about keeping cool, relatively speaking.

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
Re: visiting big bend ranch state park in July
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 08:28:49 AM »
Sauceda and the Bofecillos uplands are certainly cooler than the river canyons, but you will find nothing like a sky island in BBRSP
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 09:27:50 AM »
Is the bunkhouse air conditioned ?

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 07:54:46 PM »
It is, and you'll often have it to yourself in the summer. Its a great place during the monsoons.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Big Bend Chat mobile app

"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 10:45:49 PM »
It is, and you'll often have it to yourself in the summer. Its a great place during the monsoons.

We stayed there a couple of years ago in November. Big kitchen, good showers, nice beds, I wasn't sure about the a/c , but that clinches it. THERES YOUR COOL SPOT, Riverdog.

Offline Hookim

• Coyote
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 01:15:50 AM »

'tis not...

Offline Mesquito

• Roadrunner
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 04:17:28 AM »

My first time in BBRSP was about 10 years ago in early/mid August.  My trip had to be moved up about six weeks but I was determined, no matter how hot it was. Turned out to be gorgeous.  In 5 days it got above 90 degrees once. I remember pushing my bike with a flat tire, in the rain, from Sauceda to my camp at Yedra 2.  I got to the stock tank just as a little flash flood came out of the draw and started filling it up.

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 02:43:03 PM »
What about Papalote de la Sierra up in the NW side?  It's kind of up higher than the surrounding land. 
It's the most northern campsite if I remember correctly. Only lights you might see besides the stars is Los Alamos Ranch off to the east.
Also, you'll love driving up that way, it'll give the Jeep a workout.
I would suggest driving up West Casa Piedra Trail, then cut over east toward cat spring and follow the trail till you get to the windmill.
Video 1: Heading up W Casa Piedra

Video 3:  Heading to Cat Spring, Papalote De La Sierra then Casa Ramon (At the 7:55 mark is where we crossed back past W Casa Piedra to head east.)

Here's some photos I took from the windmill looking east.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 02:53:59 PM by BlindWilly »
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!