Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

How to Post Pics on Big Bend Chat!

• 41 Replies

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Re: How to Post Pics on Big Bend Chat!
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 04:46:38 PM »
I admit to being a tech dinosaur, but this seems to be awfully involved.
Here's how I do it (and its really easy):
-create an account at imgur.com
-upload your pics (can be full resolution, the website will scale for something more appropriate for the web) by simply dragging and dropping.
-when you click on a picture you uploaded, you'll see a bbc code (stands for big bend chat code-it's especially made for us!) link to the right side of it. Copy that link and paste it into your post. 

And then your image is there!

And so you are saying that following these instructions is as easy as it appears?
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline tbone

• Coyote
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2016, 06:00:11 PM »
-upload your pics (can be full resolution, the website will scale for something more appropriate for the web) by simply dragging and dropping.
-when you click on a picture you uploaded, you'll see a bbc code (stands for big bend chat code-it's especially made for us!) link to the right side of it. Copy that link and paste it into your post. 

And so you are saying that following these instructions is as easy as it appears?
He's obviously lying!

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2016, 09:31:12 PM »

He's obviously lying!

A comedian!
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2016, 09:54:46 AM »
As to which photo sharing site is "best", they all have their difficulties. Flickr seems to offer a lot of options and is fairly painless once you know the steps. I've used photobucket forever, but every year they seem to make it more difficult to use.

Here's the basics for Flickr. Click on the "Share photo" link. Copy and paste the entire bbcode and it should work. To make for faster loading of the embedded image on BigBendChat, chose the 640 width option.

Note that if you are trying to share someone else's photo, they have to have the privacy settings set to public (or something like that). If they don't, then you can click the "Download this photo" link and copy the link to the file. This is also useful if you don't want to share the photo album location and/or Flickr username.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2017, 09:16:09 AM »
Looks like Photobucket is getting desperate for income. They will no longer allow free 3rd party hosting. That means if you have embedded images hosted on photobucket they will become unviewable unless you "upgrade" your account with them. Bummer. Looks like I will have to go edit all of my old trip reports at some point...

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2017, 09:35:44 AM »
Looks like Photobucket is getting desperate for income. They will no longer allow free 3rd party hosting. That means if you have embedded images hosted on photobucket they will become unviewable unless you "upgrade" your account with them. Bummer. Looks like I will have to go edit all of my old trip reports at some point...

Yeah...hot-linking doesn't allow the host company to throw ads at the viewer. Understandable, because bandwidth=money. The do need to pay the bills, but annoying nonetheless. For less $$ than they are asking for the "upgrade", one could deploy a hosted web account.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2017, 02:18:11 PM »

Yeah...hot-linking doesn't allow the host company to throw ads at the viewer. Understandable, because bandwidth=money. The do need to pay the bills, but annoying nonetheless. For less $$ than they are asking for the "upgrade", one could deploy a hosted web account.
Photobucket is currently not letting me even view my own photos when logging in to their site.  :eusa_eh:
Hopefully I have them all backed up somewhere. Anyone have any recommendations/preferences for free photo hosting sites? Guess it's time I resurrect  my Flickr account...

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2019, 08:03:10 PM »
Here's a quick and easy way to embed images into your post....

https://imgbb.com/

Upload, copy code, paste into post.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2019, 07:06:02 AM »

That may violate the terms of service?

"Terms of use of Imgbb service
What cannot be uploaded to Imgbb servers:

Copyrighted images if you don't own copyright for it
Violence, racial intolerance, or advocate against any individual, group, or organization
Any other images that might be considered illegal in USA or EU countries
Also, don't use Imgbb to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network.

If you are not sure whether image you want to upload is allowed then do not upload that image. All uploaded images are checked by staff and images that violate terms will be removed without warning and uploader of such images might be banned from website."
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2019, 01:21:03 PM »

Violence, racial intolerance, or advocate against any individual, group, or organization
Also, don't use Imgbb to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network.

If you are not sure whether image you want to upload is allowed then do not upload that image. All uploaded images are checked by staff and images that violate terms will be removed without warning and uploader of such images might be banned from website."
The entire point of their service is to provide image hosting for bulletin boards, hence why they are called imgbb and then provide you with the proper bb code. What they don't want you to do is embed the images for your own website into your webpage.  If I used them to host Richard's pic on the front page, for example, that would be a violation. If it is for your trip report on a thread you've created, not a violation.  I don't really care what you use, I just thought I'd provide another option for you.

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2019, 01:49:23 PM »

The entire point of their service is to provide image hosting for bulletin boards, hence why they are called imgbb and then provide you with the proper bb code. What they don't want you to do is embed the images for your own website into your webpage.  If I used them to host Richard's pic on the front page, for example, that would be a violation. If it is for your trip report on a thread you've created, not a violation.  I don't really care what you use, I just thought I'd provide another option for you.

Thanks for the option.

I wonder what their upside is? Registration isn't even required?
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2019, 02:05:17 PM »

Thanks for the option.

I wonder what their upside is? Registration isn't even required?
Did you ever wonder what the upside to BBC is? Cause I'm still waiting on that one. Fifteen years and counting.....
Call me naive, but sometimes there just isn't one, other than doing something for someone else.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!