Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

How to Post Pics on Big Bend Chat!

• 36 Replies

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« on: February 22, 2006, 05:19:33 PM »
Moderator note: Here's a brief synopsis of how to post photos, since this thread is kinda long:

If your picture is less than 400 kb, you can just attach it to your post (i.e. click on "Additional Options..."; click "Preview" first if you're entering a reply).
Note: due to the almost-full nature of the file server area used to store attachments, this method is discouraged for all but the smallest image files. Also, a large number of attachments have been lost in the last couple of host server transitions, so it is not to be considered reliable. Also, the attachment feature was not really intended for images, although it can handle them. It may be the quickest way to post a photo, but it is certainly not the best method.

If you'd prefer to have more than 4 images per post or would rather have them embedded in your post, then you'll need to use the "Insert Image" (e.g. [img][/img]) feature and paste in the URL to your image file's location on the internet. If you don't have it somewhere online, you can store it at http://www.bigbendgallery.com/uploads/. Just be sure to use a unique filename so you don't overwrite someone else's file. We'd appreciate it if you kept the file size down, but if you don't, your friendly neighborhood Moderator will eventually come along and resize it for you. :cool:

There are lots of free online photo hosting sites (photobucket, flickr, etc) that will allow you to retain control over your image file. There are also several free hosting sites that do not require any registration (my current favorite is imgur) that will keep your file around as long as it is being viewed somewhat regularly.

Once you have your file online somewhere, make sure you paste only the valid URL inside the image tags (i.e. [img][/img]). If your URL isn't to the actual file, it won't work. The last "word" after the last "/" should be a filename like "filename.jpg".
For example: [img]http://www.bigbendgallery.com/uploads/files/beer.JPG[/img] yields

--- end of Moderator Note ---

1. Pick your picture on your computer! Know where the location of your picture on your hard drive is and what its name is!

2. Download the free Photo Resizer from here: Photo Resizer Download

OR Use your own resizing program!

3. Install the downloaded program.

4. Launch (start) the resizing program.

5. To resize your image using the program mentioned here, do the following:

a.

b.

c.

d.

e.

f.

g.

h.

6. then go to http://www.bigbendgallery.com/uploads
a.

b.

c.

d.

e.

f.

g.

h.
Repeat for any other pics and click "Preview" to see how your post will look.
i.
Click "Post" when you're done.
j.
If you goofed, feel free to click on the "Modify" link on your post and make changes as needed.

7. VOILA! Your done!

« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 09:48:07 PM by RichardM »

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 05:32:22 PM »
Wow, and I was just going to post a few words on how to do it.  David comes along and provides graphics and everything!  And, as if that wasn't enough, he points to the Photo Resizer tool which looks pretty cool as well.  It appears much more interactive than the Windows XP Image Resizer.

SHANEA

No Credit?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 05:35:26 PM »
And I don't get no credit for http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/index.php?topic=102.0

and some other posts out there?  Boo Hoo.  Just like at work and school, do all the work, but none of the glory.   :(

Better know.   :lol:

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 05:37:18 PM »
great minds think alike!  :twisted:

this post has also been "stickyfied" so it doesnt get lost in the mix :)

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: No Credit?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 05:39:37 PM »
Quote from: "SHANEA"
And I don't get no credit for http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/index.php?topic=102.0

and some other posts out there?  Boo Hoo.  Just like at work and school, do all the work, but none of the glory.   :(

You just need to be quicker on the draw and beat David to the punch!

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
UPDATE
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 09:44:44 PM »
Because of the huge amount of DATA on my server, i've had to get militant about the Gallery Image Hosting.  I've deleted any file that does not adhere to the 1mb or less rule and I've deleted all images that are more than 6 months old. Sorry if this causes you problems, but i'm over my hosting limit and can't afford to increase it at this time.

thanks for your understanding!  This is not meant to discourage you from using it, just be sure your file sizes are reasonable!

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 07:56:53 PM »
OK Big Bend Gallery Users....this is getting expensive, so I've gotta scale down the hosting.   Please only post pics under 500kb.  I've cut this in half due to the amount of storage space it is taking up on my server.  I'm going to start deleting pics that are over 500kb starting next monday.  Please, if you need to move any pics that are over 500kb somewhere else, do so in the next few days......while I'm in the park for a very special trip :)

Offline MarkB

• Black Bear
    • Big Bend Photos
Posting Photos
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 09:43:36 PM »
Feel free to post any photos of the Bend over on the MSN group website link Big Bend Photos: http://groups.msn.com/bigbendphotos
Primary purpose/space for a forum is for chat, so I understand what David is saying, and support his decision. You can always post a comment and link here to your photos on the MSN group which has more than 560 photos of the Bend at last count. Thanks!

Mark

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Posting Photos
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 10:24:40 PM »
Quote from: "MarkB"
Feel free to post any photos of the Bend over on the MSN group website link Big Bend Photos: http://groups.msn.com/bigbendphotos
Primary purpose/space for a forum is for chat, so I understand what David is saying, and support his decision. You can always post a comment and link here to your photos on the MSN group which has more than 560 photos of the Bend at last count. Thanks!

Mark

That's what I've been doing.  Helps keep the photos I've posted all together and available for future reference.

Al

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 10:54:51 PM »
Quote from: "David Locke"
OK Big Bend Gallery Users....this is getting expensive, so I've gotta scale down the hosting.   Please only post pics under 500kb.  I've cut this in half due to the amount of storage space it is taking up on my server.  I'm going to start deleting pics that are over 500kb starting next monday.  Please, if you need to move any pics that are over 500kb somewhere else, do so in the next few days......while I'm in the park for a very special trip :)

Your friendly neighborhood Moderator had nothing better to do tonight, so I downloaded a lot of the bigger files, resized them using the Image Resizer, then uploaded them again.  Hopefully that'll help a little.

For other places to park photos, I highly recommend http://photobucket.com/ if you want to maintain pictures in albums.  For "upload, post, and forget" stuff, I usually use http://xs.to/.  Both are free and fairly painless.

Followup:  The http://xs.to/ server is not very reliable when it comes to retaining files long-term.  Don't use it for anything you want to stick around.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 02:04:32 PM »
I have updated the Big Bend Image Hosting.  I have now included an embedded image on the upload page itself allowing you to simply copy the img url with your mouse or the text url below the image.  Hopefully this will aid you.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 03:26:58 PM »
Quote from: "David Locke"
I have updated the Big Bend Image Hosting.  I have now included an embedded image on the upload page itself allowing you to simply copy the img url with your mouse or the text url below the image.  Hopefully this will aid you.

This will also remind you just how big your image is and how it will display in a browser window.  After you notice it's way too big, run the Image Resizer on it (keeping the same file name) and upload it again.  Of course, try to make your file name unique so you don't accidentally overwrite anyone else's picture.

BigBendHiker

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 03:33:49 PM »
Great enhancements, guys.

Just now used it to post my latest pic.

Thanks,
BBH

Offline sleepy

• Black Bear
  • i'm not a terrorist
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 06:55:36 PM »
i'm a little slow.  choices on uploads for browser are explorer/netscape or firefox.  I use safari.  Would I be an explorer on safari or a firefox at the safari?  sorry.
It's never too late to be what you might have been-Geroge Elliot

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 08:37:06 PM »
try one and see, if it doesn't work, try the other...if that doesn't work   :?

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!